Re: [sig] Period Russian Bardic?

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2011
      Kseniia,
      I have 2 "russian story collections", one that's mostly very Aesop-esque short tales, but no dates:
      http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Fairy-Pantheon-Folklore-Library/dp/0394730909/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312824217&sr=8-2

      and the other that has a more reliably dated collection of byliny, excerpts from chronicles, etc:
      http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Russias-Epics-Chronicles-Tales/dp/0452010861/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312824257&sr=1-1

      I would suggest that if you intend to write something original in the style of a byliny, go with the second one.   The trick would be to make up an original tale... IIRC, in the latter parts of the Primary Chronicle, there is some information about a prince who instigated a battle, by telling lies & flipflopping his support.    I can't think of who/when off hand; I'll grab it tomorrow & send the references to you.   But that would be a historical event that you could possible write a byliny about, particularly with a nice moralistic theme...

      There's always the option, also, of adapting one of the classic tales, such as Ivan Ivanovich and the Grey Wolf, etc.

      Cheers,
      Sfandra

      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      http://sfandra.webs.com