Period Russian Bardic?

  • Kristina Jarvis
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2011
      Hello everyone!

      I am currently researching Period Russian Bardic works, and while I
      have found a lot of information about the Byliny, I did find some
      passing references to "fairy tales" in late period (1500's).

      I need to write a bardic piece for Sergeantry Trials happening in my
      principality, and if anyone has more information (or an idea of where
      to look for more information) about a more free form way of writing
      spoken tales, I would truly appreciate it.

      Das Svedanya!
      Kseniia
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2011
        Kseniia,
        I have 2 "russian story collections", one that's mostly very Aesop-esque short tales, but no dates:
        http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Fairy-Pantheon-Folklore-Library/dp/0394730909/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312824217&sr=8-2

        and the other that has a more reliably dated collection of byliny, excerpts from chronicles, etc:
        http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Russias-Epics-Chronicles-Tales/dp/0452010861/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312824257&sr=1-1

        I would suggest that if you intend to write something original in the style of a byliny, go with the second one.   The trick would be to make up an original tale... IIRC, in the latter parts of the Primary Chronicle, there is some information about a prince who instigated a battle, by telling lies & flipflopping his support.    I can't think of who/when off hand; I'll grab it tomorrow & send the references to you.   But that would be a historical event that you could possible write a byliny about, particularly with a nice moralistic theme...

        There's always the option, also, of adapting one of the classic tales, such as Ivan Ivanovich and the Grey Wolf, etc.

        Cheers,
        Sfandra

        Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        http://sfandra.webs.com