Re: [sig] Need a household name in Russian

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 29, 2011
      Greetings from Sofya!

      On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

      > What about Hammered Goat (Forge and Brewery)? Its for my mancave....
      > 'dok

      I didn't forget about you, 'Dok. I just needed some time to devote to the
      problem. The problem is that "hammered" doesn't have the same double
      meaning in Russian as it does in English. No matter what angle I go at it,
      no matter what synonyms I pursue, I'm just not finding a very good Russian
      translation.

      Goat = kozyol (male)
      Drunken = p'yanyj, napivshijsya
      Smashed = vdryzg p'yanyj or vdrebezgi p'yanyj � blind / dead / stiff drunk
      Hammer = molot;
      To hammer = bit', udaryat';
      hammered/forged = kovanyj
      *to forge = kovat', vykovyvat'*, chekanit';
      a smithy = kuznitsa, adj. kuznechnyj;
      beaten/broken down = razbityj

      The best I can come up with is the alliterative "Kuznechnyi Kozyol" which
      means "smithy goat" but doesn't include the brewery angle, unless you figure
      that a goat that will eat anything will likely drink anything also. Same
      problem with Kovanyj Kozyol - hammered/forged goat.

      ;-)

      Sofya

      ___
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser