Re: [sig] Need a household name in Russian

    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 20, 2011
      Thanks Sofya!

      I was, after a weekend of research, leaning towards more of "Sfandra's Druzhina" rather than any town-type structure.   I spent an interesting 2 hours reading through the collected Precedents of the SCA College of Heraldry regarding households, and yes, they do prefer terminology that references a group of people, although they also allow structures like "House Of the Winged Goat" based on english Inn names (Which strikes me as an odd dichotomy, but OK, I didn't write the rules.....), plus a reread of Lay of Igor's Campaign and a few other tales.  I don't know that I'll ever register the household name -- I'm more interested in something period russian than SCA-registerable (given the college of heralds have yet to accept certain eastern european symbols and practices.... damn their anglo-centric hides ;-p  )

      There was a passage in Vernadsky's "Kievan Rus" about the druzhina which really made me think it would be a good word to use.  Vernadsky implied that service in the druzhina was one of the few ways someone could improve their social station.  Given that my household would theoretically consist of apprentices, then that connotation of the word druzhina is appropriate.

      I do very much like the ones you tossed out, and they're going on the list of options!

      Thanks,
      Sfandra

      ******************
      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      http://sfandra.webs.com
      Never 'pearl' your butt.
      ******************

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 20, 2011
        My husband also was looking into formally creating a household now that he
        is a knight. His name is Ilia Aleksandrovich. Would these be correct
        constructions for a household name?

        Dom Ilinii or Ilinii Dvor
        Dom Aleksandrovii (or would it need to be Aleksandrovichii? Can you even do
        that construction?)

        -- Vitasha

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 21, 2011
          As Sofya said:
          > The Russian term for a princely or lordly retinue is "druzhina" from the
          > word for friend, "drug". These are the (relatively) close companions of a
          > prince or boyar. They gave true personal allegiance to their lord, although
          > they were free to leave his service at will. I think this term comes the
          > closest to the way most people set up their SCA households. It is
          > especially appropriate for the chivalry, since the druzhina made up the
          > heavy-cavalry core of a Russian military force, the closest Russian
          > equivalent of knights, but they also had peacetime administrative duties
          > for their lord.

          So maybe Ilinii druzhina?

          Is the -ichi suffix usable?  Or is that more of a tribal/ethnic designator?  I'm thinking of terms like "Radimichi", "Viatichi".  I don't know that I've ever seen that suffix used for anything other than rather broad tribal or 'clan' like designations.

          Still pondering...
          --Sfandra

          ******************

          From: Amy Tubbs <ivanova.doch@...>

          My husband also was looking into formally creating a household now that he
          is a knight.  His name is Ilia Aleksandrovich.  Would these be correct
          constructions for a household name?

          Dom Ilinii or Ilinii Dvor
          Dom Aleksandrovii (or would it need to be Aleksandrovichii?  Can you even do
          that construction?)

          -- Vitasha

          On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Greetings from Sofya to Sfandra!
          SNIP

        • Liudmila
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 23, 2011
            Sfandrina Druzhina sort of rhymes, and does not sound bad at all...

            Liudmila, the absent

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 23, 2011
              Did you already ask me and I missed it? Bad laurel... So:
              Il'in Dom or Il'in Dvor, either way. I think that "podvor'e" was often used in this context, and not "dvor," but have to look it up. In that case, Il'ino Podvor'e.
              Also: Aleksandrovichev Dom or Dvor.

              Liudmila

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 24, 2011
                I really, really like Sfandrina Druzhina!

                Cheers,
                Lady Patricia of Trakai

[...]

                Individual Email | Traditional

                (Yahoo! ID required)

                sig-digest@yahoogroups.com

                sig-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Lisa Kies
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 24, 2011
                  Greetings from Sofya!

                  On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Liudmila <LiudmilaV@...> wrote:

                  > I think that "podvor'e" was often used in this context, and not "dvor,"
                  > but have to look it up. In that case, Il'ino Podvor'e.

                  I can find only a limited number of period examples of podvor'e in
                  Sreznevskii's Dictionary. It's not a term I'm familiar with. Let's see,
                  Sreznevskii defines it as "a house with court (dvor) and courtyard
                  structures, country estate, residence". Ozhigov defines it as an inn/hostel
                  (meaning 1), or a type of hotel intended for clerics (meaning 2), or a court
                  and vegetable garden on the property of a rural home. So that works.

                  On the other hand, Sreznevskii has dozens of examples of dvor' from period
                  documents. Along with many terms (such as dvorianin, dvornik, dvornyi,
                  dvorcheskii, and podvor'e, itself) derived from it.

                  On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Liudmila <LiudmilaV@...> wrote:

                  > Did you already ask me and I missed it? Bad laurel... So:
                  > Il'in Dom or Il'in Dvor, either way. I think that "podvor'e" was often used
                  > in this context, and not "dvor," but have to look it up. In that case,
                  > Il'ino Podvor'e.
                  > Also: Aleksandrovichev Dom or Dvor.

                  I would have thought that genitive case would be used here, rather than a
                  patronymic form (which is related to genitive case, but not the same). But
                  I'm not a native Russian speaker, of course.

                  Genitive case forms:
                  Dom/Dvor Il'i (I'm used to putting the owner's name last but, of course,
                  that's flexible)
                  Dom/Dvor Aleksandrovicha (of the son of Aleksander) or Aleksandrovichov
                  (plural - of the sons of Aleksander, the Aleksandrovichi)

                  Adjectival forms:
                  Il'inskii Dom/Dvor (Il'inskaia Druzhina)
                  Aleksandrovskii Dom/Dvor (Aleksandrovskaia Druzhina)

                  At your service,

                  Sofya

                  ___
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 24, 2011
                    Sounds cute, like the title of an 80s music group...

                    I still wonder about using the genitive case here instead of a patronymic
                    form, but it wouldn't have the same ring to it - Druzhina Sfandrina vs.
                    Druzhina Sfandri

                    Sofya

                    On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Liudmila <LiudmilaV@...> wrote:

                    > Sfandrina Druzhina sort of rhymes, and does not sound bad at all...
                    >
                    > Liudmila, the absent

                  • Lisa Kies
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 24, 2011
                      Greetings from Sofya!

                      On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                      > You can do "Sfandra's Court" which could be something like "Sfandriiskii
                      > Dvor" (I'll need to check on the exact form of Sfandra for this).

                      It looks like the adjectival form of Sfandra would actually be
                      Sfandrinskii/aia so:

                      Sfandrinskii Dvor/Dom and
                      Sfandrinskaia Druzhina

                      At your service,

                      Sofya

                      ___
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 24, 2011
                        No, I only just thought of asking when I saw this post.
                        --Vitasha

                        On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Liudmila <LiudmilaV@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Did you already ask me and I missed it? Bad laurel... So:
                        > Il'in Dom or Il'in Dvor, either way. I think that "podvor'e" was often used
                        > in this context, and not "dvor," but have to look it up. In that case,
                        > Il'ino Podvor'e.
                        > Also: Aleksandrovichev Dom or Dvor.
                        >
                        > Liudmila

                      • Howard Rachel
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 25, 2011
                          Pushkarev's Dictionary of Russian Historical Terms has:

                          *Podvorie* - "a DVOR (household) in general, esp. a city household that
                          belonged to an outside owner (like a monsatary or rich land owner)"

                          *podvornik* - "a person who lived and worked in another's household"

                          *dvor* - "Household; homestead; yard; court. In the chronicles dvor
                          sometimes meant the prince's military service men collectively."

                          I believe this differentiates dvor and podvorie significantly, and supports
                          dvor as better in the context of an SCA household.

                          Kazimir, Meridies

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 25, 2011
                            Yeah, given rather sharp wit of my housemates, anything that rhymes is asking for trouble....

                            As it is, they already tend to sing the following around me:
                            "Look at me, I'm Sfandra D..."

                            I like 'dvor'.   Would it be Sfandriskii Dvor?

                            --Sfandra

                            ******************

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 25, 2011
                              Wow, helps if I read ALL the emails before replying!

                              I really like Sfandrinskaia Druzhina...  And it has the bonus of probably being unpronounceable to everyone in my household.

                              --Sfandra

                              ******************

                              Sounds cute, like the title of an 80s music group...

                              I still wonder about using the genitive case here instead of a patronymic
                              form, but it wouldn't have the same ring to it - Druzhina Sfandrina vs.
                              Druzhina Sfandri

                              Sofya

                              On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Liudmila <LiudmilaV@...> wrote:

                              >  Sfandrina Druzhina sort of rhymes, and does not sound bad at all...
                              >
                              > Liudmila, the absent

                            • Lisa Kies
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 29, 2011
                                Greetings from Sofya!

                                On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

                                > What about Hammered Goat (Forge and Brewery)? Its for my mancave....
                                > 'dok

                                I didn't forget about you, 'Dok. I just needed some time to devote to the
                                problem. The problem is that "hammered" doesn't have the same double
                                meaning in Russian as it does in English. No matter what angle I go at it,
                                no matter what synonyms I pursue, I'm just not finding a very good Russian
                                translation.

                                Goat = kozyol (male)
                                Drunken = p'yanyj, napivshijsya
                                Smashed = vdryzg p'yanyj or vdrebezgi p'yanyj � blind / dead / stiff drunk
                                Hammer = molot;
                                To hammer = bit', udaryat';
                                hammered/forged = kovanyj
                                *to forge = kovat', vykovyvat'*, chekanit';
                                a smithy = kuznitsa, adj. kuznechnyj;
                                beaten/broken down = razbityj

                                The best I can come up with is the alliterative "Kuznechnyi Kozyol" which
                                means "smithy goat" but doesn't include the brewery angle, unless you figure
                                that a goat that will eat anything will likely drink anything also. Same
                                problem with Kovanyj Kozyol - hammered/forged goat.

                                ;-)

                                Sofya

                                ___