Re: [sig] Need a household name in Russian

  • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 15, 2011
      Ok this is possibly a bit of a hodgepodge of info that I'm about to spew out.
      the --gorod" or "--grad" ending can be added on to pretty much any word or name
      to form and town name
      ex: Leningrad or Novgorod

      Group names can also come from things like professions, social status,
      geographic locations, tribal name or name of a person they associate with.
      ex: Oprichniki (social status)
      ex2: Казаки́ or Kosaks (i think that's how you spell it) (geographic and social
      status)

      You can also do something like Сфандровцы (Sfandrovtsy) as in those belonging to
      Sfanda
      Actually i think using your last name in this case will be more appropriate:
      You would go with Черниговцы (Chernigovtsy) I'm not sure if that would work
      since you can't do Chernigov

      If you were to turn your first name into a town it'd be something line Сфандров
      (Sfandrov)

      What about your heraldry and badges or anything else that you use? I seem to
      remember you have a patron saint right? Which one?

      How about Лукоморье (Lurkmorye)? potentially not very period but definitely very
      Russian.

      Lada

      Oooooh...
      SHINY!

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 15, 2011
        Лукоморье is actually pronounced (Lukomorye) i made a typo...

        Lada

        Oooooh...
        SHINY!

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 15, 2011
          So upon further research...
          Лукоморье is a period word!
          http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9B%D1%83%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%8C%D0%B5

          I know wikipedia is not a good source.. I'll do more research when i get home,
          but I'm going to paraphrase rom the wikipedia article:
          Lukomorye according to Slavic mythology Lukomorye is a forbidden and warded
          place on the edge of the universe where grows the world tree, the axis of the
          world which can be used to access other worlds.

          I'm so looking into this when i get home! Ok this is my last email until i get
          home and look up more

          Lada

          Oooooh...
          SHINY!

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 15, 2011
            Way back when, in the dawn of time (AS8 or so), my friend Lady Vassilissa
            and I formed a Russian household and named it "Vnuka Dazhboga" - the
            grandchildren of Dazhbog. It's one of the titles they give to Prince Igor
            in the "Tale of Igor's Campaign". I won't go bail for the linguistic
            correctness, since at that time, I had only had a year of college
            Russian. But it's a good name and the household lasted several years,
            though now it's pretty much in abeyance.

            Fevronia
            Groupon.com Official Site
            1 huge daily deal on the best stuff to do in your city. Try it today!
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4df91d843352150b95fst02vuc
          • Lisa Kies
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 19, 2011
              Greetings from Sofya to Sfandra!

              The problem I see with using the term "gorod" or other "town"
              constructions, is that a town/fortress is not a household. The city of
              Yaroslavl may have belonged to Yaroslav and his descendents, but it was full
              of people who owed them little more than taxes and tribute. Most of the
              people there would have been virtual strangers to their lord - not a
              hand-picked circle of associates like our SCA households.

              The closest literal translation of household would be "dom" meaning house,
              home, household. This is the origin of one of our favorite texts, the
              Domostroi. "Dom" refers to the lord/lady and their household dependents
              including children, servants and slaves. So if you see your household as
              being your SCA "family", then it's a good term to use.
              A similar term would be "dvor" usually translated as "court", "courtyard",
              "yard" or "estate". It refers to the palisaded enclosures that people built
              in the cities to contain their homes and support structures, and by
              extension, the people who live/work there. These people would include
              cooks, leather workers, animal handlers, seamstresses, etc. so it would be a
              nice term if you see your household as a collection of
              workshops/artisans. On the other hand, it is the origin of the term
              "dvorianin" which is usually translated as "courtier" or "servitor",
              particularly in reference to the prince's "dvor" where the "dvoriane" make
              up the lower ranks of the prince's retinue (lower than the boyars). Hence,
              it's inclusion as an alternate title for "lord" on the official SCA
              alternate titles list.

              The Russian term for a princely or lordly retinue is "druzhina" from the
              word for friend, "drug". These are the (relatively) close companions of a
              prince or boyar. They gave true personal allegiance to their lord, although
              they were free to leave his service at will. I think this term comes the
              closest to the way most people set up their SCA households. It is
              especially appropriate for the chivalry, since the druzhina made up the
              heavy-cavalry core of a Russian military force, the closest Russian
              equivalent of knights, but they also had peacetime administrative duties for
              their lord.

              And there are a couple of grammatical forms to use with these terms. You
              can do "X of Y" as in "House of Sfandra" which would use genitive case and
              be "Dom Sfandry". You can do "Sfandra's Court" which could be something
              like "Sfandriiskii Dvor" (I'll need to check on the exact form of
              Sfandra for this).

              The patronymic (or rather, metronymic) form of Sfandra would be Sfandrin
              (masc.) or Sfandrina (fem.) not Sfandrov, per Wickenden's grammar. Sfandrov
              would be the patronymic form of Sfandr. I admit that Sfandrov and
              Sfandrovskii sound better than Sfandrin and Sfrandrinskii, though.

              At your service,

              Sofya

              ___
              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
              {o,o}
              (__(|
              "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
              -^-^-`
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 19, 2011
                What about Hammered Goat (Forge and Brewery)? Its for my mancave....
                'dok
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 20, 2011
                  Thanks Sofya!

                  I was, after a weekend of research, leaning towards more of "Sfandra's Druzhina" rather than any town-type structure.   I spent an interesting 2 hours reading through the collected Precedents of the SCA College of Heraldry regarding households, and yes, they do prefer terminology that references a group of people, although they also allow structures like "House Of the Winged Goat" based on english Inn names (Which strikes me as an odd dichotomy, but OK, I didn't write the rules.....), plus a reread of Lay of Igor's Campaign and a few other tales.  I don't know that I'll ever register the household name -- I'm more interested in something period russian than SCA-registerable (given the college of heralds have yet to accept certain eastern european symbols and practices.... damn their anglo-centric hides ;-p  )

                  There was a passage in Vernadsky's "Kievan Rus" about the druzhina which really made me think it would be a good word to use.  Vernadsky implied that service in the druzhina was one of the few ways someone could improve their social station.  Given that my household would theoretically consist of apprentices, then that connotation of the word druzhina is appropriate.

                  I do very much like the ones you tossed out, and they're going on the list of options!

                  Thanks,
                  Sfandra

                  ******************
                  Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                  http://sfandra.webs.com
                  Never 'pearl' your butt.
                  ******************

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 20, 2011
                    My husband also was looking into formally creating a household now that he
                    is a knight. His name is Ilia Aleksandrovich. Would these be correct
                    constructions for a household name?

                    Dom Ilinii or Ilinii Dvor
                    Dom Aleksandrovii (or would it need to be Aleksandrovichii? Can you even do
                    that construction?)

                    -- Vitasha

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 21, 2011
                      As Sofya said:
                      > The Russian term for a princely or lordly retinue is "druzhina" from the
                      > word for friend, "drug". These are the (relatively) close companions of a
                      > prince or boyar. They gave true personal allegiance to their lord, although
                      > they were free to leave his service at will. I think this term comes the
                      > closest to the way most people set up their SCA households. It is
                      > especially appropriate for the chivalry, since the druzhina made up the
                      > heavy-cavalry core of a Russian military force, the closest Russian
                      > equivalent of knights, but they also had peacetime administrative duties
                      > for their lord.

                      So maybe Ilinii druzhina?

                      Is the -ichi suffix usable?  Or is that more of a tribal/ethnic designator?  I'm thinking of terms like "Radimichi", "Viatichi".  I don't know that I've ever seen that suffix used for anything other than rather broad tribal or 'clan' like designations.

                      Still pondering...
                      --Sfandra

                      ******************

                      From: Amy Tubbs <ivanova.doch@...>

                      My husband also was looking into formally creating a household now that he
                      is a knight.  His name is Ilia Aleksandrovich.  Would these be correct
                      constructions for a household name?

                      Dom Ilinii or Ilinii Dvor
                      Dom Aleksandrovii (or would it need to be Aleksandrovichii?  Can you even do
                      that construction?)

                      -- Vitasha

                      On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Greetings from Sofya to Sfandra!
                      SNIP

                    • Liudmila
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 23, 2011
                        Sfandrina Druzhina sort of rhymes, and does not sound bad at all...

                        Liudmila, the absent

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 23, 2011
                          Did you already ask me and I missed it? Bad laurel... So:
                          Il'in Dom or Il'in Dvor, either way. I think that "podvor'e" was often used in this context, and not "dvor," but have to look it up. In that case, Il'ino Podvor'e.
                          Also: Aleksandrovichev Dom or Dvor.

                          Liudmila

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 24, 2011
                            I really, really like Sfandrina Druzhina!

                            Cheers,
                            Lady Patricia of Trakai

[...]

                            Individual Email | Traditional

                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                            sig-digest@yahoogroups.com

                            sig-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • Lisa Kies
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 24, 2011
                              Greetings from Sofya!

                              On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Liudmila <LiudmilaV@...> wrote:

                              > I think that "podvor'e" was often used in this context, and not "dvor,"
                              > but have to look it up. In that case, Il'ino Podvor'e.

                              I can find only a limited number of period examples of podvor'e in
                              Sreznevskii's Dictionary. It's not a term I'm familiar with. Let's see,
                              Sreznevskii defines it as "a house with court (dvor) and courtyard
                              structures, country estate, residence". Ozhigov defines it as an inn/hostel
                              (meaning 1), or a type of hotel intended for clerics (meaning 2), or a court
                              and vegetable garden on the property of a rural home. So that works.

                              On the other hand, Sreznevskii has dozens of examples of dvor' from period
                              documents. Along with many terms (such as dvorianin, dvornik, dvornyi,
                              dvorcheskii, and podvor'e, itself) derived from it.

                              On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Liudmila <LiudmilaV@...> wrote:

                              > Did you already ask me and I missed it? Bad laurel... So:
                              > Il'in Dom or Il'in Dvor, either way. I think that "podvor'e" was often used
                              > in this context, and not "dvor," but have to look it up. In that case,
                              > Il'ino Podvor'e.
                              > Also: Aleksandrovichev Dom or Dvor.

                              I would have thought that genitive case would be used here, rather than a
                              patronymic form (which is related to genitive case, but not the same). But
                              I'm not a native Russian speaker, of course.

                              Genitive case forms:
                              Dom/Dvor Il'i (I'm used to putting the owner's name last but, of course,
                              that's flexible)
                              Dom/Dvor Aleksandrovicha (of the son of Aleksander) or Aleksandrovichov
                              (plural - of the sons of Aleksander, the Aleksandrovichi)

                              Adjectival forms:
                              Il'inskii Dom/Dvor (Il'inskaia Druzhina)
                              Aleksandrovskii Dom/Dvor (Aleksandrovskaia Druzhina)

                              At your service,

                              Sofya

                              ___
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 24, 2011
                                Sounds cute, like the title of an 80s music group...

                                I still wonder about using the genitive case here instead of a patronymic
                                form, but it wouldn't have the same ring to it - Druzhina Sfandrina vs.
                                Druzhina Sfandri

                                Sofya

                                On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Liudmila <LiudmilaV@...> wrote:

                                > Sfandrina Druzhina sort of rhymes, and does not sound bad at all...
                                >
                                > Liudmila, the absent

                              • Lisa Kies
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 24, 2011
                                  Greetings from Sofya!

                                  On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                                  > You can do "Sfandra's Court" which could be something like "Sfandriiskii
                                  > Dvor" (I'll need to check on the exact form of Sfandra for this).

                                  It looks like the adjectival form of Sfandra would actually be
                                  Sfandrinskii/aia so:

                                  Sfandrinskii Dvor/Dom and
                                  Sfandrinskaia Druzhina

                                  At your service,

                                  Sofya

                                  ___
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 24, 2011
                                    No, I only just thought of asking when I saw this post.
                                    --Vitasha

                                    On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Liudmila <LiudmilaV@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > Did you already ask me and I missed it? Bad laurel... So:
                                    > Il'in Dom or Il'in Dvor, either way. I think that "podvor'e" was often used
                                    > in this context, and not "dvor," but have to look it up. In that case,
                                    > Il'ino Podvor'e.
                                    > Also: Aleksandrovichev Dom or Dvor.
                                    >
                                    > Liudmila

                                  • Howard Rachel
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 25, 2011
                                      Pushkarev's Dictionary of Russian Historical Terms has:

                                      *Podvorie* - "a DVOR (household) in general, esp. a city household that
                                      belonged to an outside owner (like a monsatary or rich land owner)"

                                      *podvornik* - "a person who lived and worked in another's household"

                                      *dvor* - "Household; homestead; yard; court. In the chronicles dvor
                                      sometimes meant the prince's military service men collectively."

                                      I believe this differentiates dvor and podvorie significantly, and supports
                                      dvor as better in the context of an SCA household.

                                      Kazimir, Meridies

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 25, 2011
                                        Yeah, given rather sharp wit of my housemates, anything that rhymes is asking for trouble....

                                        As it is, they already tend to sing the following around me:
                                        "Look at me, I'm Sfandra D..."

                                        I like 'dvor'.   Would it be Sfandriskii Dvor?

                                        --Sfandra

                                        ******************

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 25, 2011
                                          Wow, helps if I read ALL the emails before replying!

                                          I really like Sfandrinskaia Druzhina...  And it has the bonus of probably being unpronounceable to everyone in my household.

                                          --Sfandra

                                          ******************

                                          Sounds cute, like the title of an 80s music group...

                                          I still wonder about using the genitive case here instead of a patronymic
                                          form, but it wouldn't have the same ring to it - Druzhina Sfandrina vs.
                                          Druzhina Sfandri

                                          Sofya

                                          On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Liudmila <LiudmilaV@...> wrote:

                                          >  Sfandrina Druzhina sort of rhymes, and does not sound bad at all...
                                          >
                                          > Liudmila, the absent

                                        • Lisa Kies
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 29, 2011
                                            Greetings from Sofya!

                                            On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

                                            > What about Hammered Goat (Forge and Brewery)? Its for my mancave....
                                            > 'dok

                                            I didn't forget about you, 'Dok. I just needed some time to devote to the
                                            problem. The problem is that "hammered" doesn't have the same double
                                            meaning in Russian as it does in English. No matter what angle I go at it,
                                            no matter what synonyms I pursue, I'm just not finding a very good Russian
                                            translation.

                                            Goat = kozyol (male)
                                            Drunken = p'yanyj, napivshijsya
                                            Smashed = vdryzg p'yanyj or vdrebezgi p'yanyj � blind / dead / stiff drunk
                                            Hammer = molot;
                                            To hammer = bit', udaryat';
                                            hammered/forged = kovanyj
                                            *to forge = kovat', vykovyvat'*, chekanit';
                                            a smithy = kuznitsa, adj. kuznechnyj;
                                            beaten/broken down = razbityj

                                            The best I can come up with is the alliterative "Kuznechnyi Kozyol" which
                                            means "smithy goat" but doesn't include the brewery angle, unless you figure
                                            that a goat that will eat anything will likely drink anything also. Same
                                            problem with Kovanyj Kozyol - hammered/forged goat.

                                            ;-)

                                            Sofya

                                            ___