Re: [sig] Re: Miner's robes?

  • Catherine Olanich Raymond
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2011
      I think the attached hoods are what piqued Asfridhr's interest. I don't
      know of any other medieval artwork that depicts such a garment.

      On 06/13/2011 04:44 PM, Sfandra wrote:
      > Given the time period, I see closer ties to western european fashion: some men appear
      >to have hose/chausses rolled to below the knee, a not-uncommon look.
      The detail of the
      >2 miners holding a shield show very wide bell sleeves, which combined
      with the chausses are making
      > me think the garment in question may be a variant of a houppelande.
      The detail of the miners at
      >work show very fitted sleeves... perhaps the bells are wrapped and
      tucked tight at the wrist?
      >Or it may be the overall idea of miners might be representational, not
      accurate.

      > After all,
      > how often do very expensive illuminators see miners at work?

      I suspect the answer is "not very,"

      > I checked some of the references on those touristy sites - they refer to it as a wool jacket or coat....
      >So, here's a rough theory: Unbleached or un-dyed 'natural' wool. It
      would be 'read' as white in an illumination,
      > but is in fact very cheap basic fabric. It does seem to have an
      attached/integral hood, and is pull-over.

      The "cheap basic fabric" part is probably correct, so it could be washed
      without loss of color being an issue. It might even be linen, which
      could be re-bleached more easily than it could be dyed.

      I suspect, given the needs of the job, that the detail of the
      bell-sleeved version is artistic license,
      and the more fitted sleeves are more accurate. The next questions I
      would ask are: who became miners?
      Were they considered skilled workers, or serving jail-time? Was it
      well paid, or not paid? How were the mines managed?
      Is it possible that all the perkytles might be owned by the people who
      owned the mine, issued to each worker each day?
      In which case, I'd argue for basic generic styling - long straight
      sleeves. They would serve as both protection
      for the worker's own clothing, would stand out in what little light
      might be available from candles/torches underground,
      > and provide warmth for the workers.

      That's true--being more visible in dim light would be a safety feature
      in period; I hadn't thought of that.

      > The other thing that might make me think it's a more western influenced garment is the word 'perkytle'.
      > Superficially, it bears resemblance to the word "kirtle", which is a
      common term in medieval western clothing
      > for an unstructured layering piece.

      Unclear whether there is an actual etymological connection between
      "perkytle" and "kirtle"....

      --
      Cathy Raymond
      cathy@...

      "Beware how you take away hope from another human being."
      --Oliver Wendell Holmes