Re: [sig] Sources for Magyar ornaments?

  • T Duran
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
      On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 6:36 AM, Noora Salminen <harmaa.rakka@...> wrote:

      > That sounds really great, thank you! I'll look into the Polovtsian stone
      > sculptures as well, thanks for the hint. Mongolian findings are a bit too
      > far off, I think, but alanic and such tribes' decorations would be really
      > cool. I have a bit of gold I could get drawn into thread, but I want to use
      > that to make something as close to authentic I can get.

      If you want to really turn heads, foil the gold onto leather lace, and
      applique it in two-foot-wide interlace designs around the skirt of
      your leather tunic. Then sew bells along the edges of the side slits
      and collar opening and top it with a hat fringed with multicolored fur
      tails. I am *loving* this stuff. :^)

      Will hopefully get a ton of scanning done this weekend.

      Oh ! I just may have saved you the wait (and me a bit of scanning).
      I tried some googling in Cyrillic[1] and turned up someone who's got a
      bunch of the scans I was going to send you:

      http://swordmaster.org/2010/03/28/poloveckij-kostyum-i-ego-vliyanie.html

      Put through Google translate, the first illo under "Male Complex" is
      the interlaced leather applique - the author discusses the
      reconstruction farther down. The reconstruction color illustration of
      the kaftan they got it off of is at the very bottom of the page -- the
      guy in red on the left.

      Poking around this site - there's lots of other goodies here, too !

      Kazimira

      [1] I stuck "Alan leather applique" into Google translate English ->
      Russian, then Googled the Cyrillic output. That page was the first one
      to come up under image search.