Re: [sig] Sources for Magyar ornaments?

  • Noora Salminen
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29 11:36 AM
      Hi Rakka

      > I've just started translating Dode's _Medieval Costume of the Peoples
      > of the Northern Caucasus_, which has photos and diagrams of job lots
      > of grave finds, with reconstructions based on these and the Polovtsian
      > stone sculptures. There's a lot of stuff for the Alans, and one or
      > two Mongol bits as well.
      >
      > I've only just started, but I could send you some scans of the
      > reconstructions, if you think that would be useful. Nothing for the
      > Magyars - it's specifically Northern Caucasus finds.
      >
      > Of course, Googling "Polovtsian stone sculptures" gets you photos of
      > those, which will get you decorative motifs, at least.
      >
      > Kazimira
      > __._,_.

      That sounds really great, thank you! I'll look into the Polovtsian stone
      sculptures as well, thanks for the hint. Mongolian findings are a bit too
      far off, I think, but alanic and such tribes' decorations would be really
      cool. I have a bit of gold I could get drawn into thread, but I want to use
      that to make something as close to authentic I can get.
      - Rakka

      --
      rakka@ircnet

      "The midnight leather of my body suit that enclosed my body was as cliched
      as it sounded."

    • T Duran
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
        On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 6:36 AM, Noora Salminen <harmaa.rakka@...> wrote:

        > That sounds really great, thank you! I'll look into the Polovtsian stone
        > sculptures as well, thanks for the hint. Mongolian findings are a bit too
        > far off, I think, but alanic and such tribes' decorations would be really
        > cool. I have a bit of gold I could get drawn into thread, but I want to use
        > that to make something as close to authentic I can get.

        If you want to really turn heads, foil the gold onto leather lace, and
        applique it in two-foot-wide interlace designs around the skirt of
        your leather tunic. Then sew bells along the edges of the side slits
        and collar opening and top it with a hat fringed with multicolored fur
        tails. I am *loving* this stuff. :^)

        Will hopefully get a ton of scanning done this weekend.

        Oh ! I just may have saved you the wait (and me a bit of scanning).
        I tried some googling in Cyrillic[1] and turned up someone who's got a
        bunch of the scans I was going to send you:

        http://swordmaster.org/2010/03/28/poloveckij-kostyum-i-ego-vliyanie.html

        Put through Google translate, the first illo under "Male Complex" is
        the interlaced leather applique - the author discusses the
        reconstruction farther down. The reconstruction color illustration of
        the kaftan they got it off of is at the very bottom of the page -- the
        guy in red on the left.

        Poking around this site - there's lots of other goodies here, too !

        Kazimira

        [1] I stuck "Alan leather applique" into Google translate English ->
        Russian, then Googled the Cyrillic output. That page was the first one
        to come up under image search.