Re: [sig] Sources for Magyar ornaments?

  • T Duran
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27 10:50 PM
      On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 6:57 AM, Noora Salminen <harmaa.rakka@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I have a little question. I'm looking for image sources for 11th
      > century Magyar/Tatar and other nomadic tribes' ornamentation, in
      > jewelry and embroidery. I have some sources for tarsoly and general
      > findings, but I haven't found anything that would help me get a better
      > grasp of the art style of the period so that I could extrapolate... I
      > currently have one kaftan but its decoration is fully out of my own
      > head and not based on anything justifiable, as the animal motifs are
      > my doodles with some influence of a Scythian brooch. I'm in the
      > process of updating my garderobe (a tunic fabric woven with standing
      > warp weighted loom is underway, for my Finnish iron age set) and I'd
      > like my flashy warrior wear to be somewhat authentic too.
      > - Rakka

      Hi Rakka

      I've just started translating Dode's _Medieval Costume of the Peoples
      of the Northern Caucasus_, which has photos and diagrams of job lots
      of grave finds, with reconstructions based on these and the Polovtsian
      stone sculptures. There's a lot of stuff for the Alans, and one or
      two Mongol bits as well.

      I've only just started, but I could send you some scans of the
      reconstructions, if you think that would be useful. Nothing for the
      Magyars - it's specifically Northern Caucasus finds.

      Of course, Googling "Polovtsian stone sculptures" gets you photos of
      those, which will get you decorative motifs, at least.

      Kazimira
    • Noora Salminen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29 11:36 AM
        Hi Rakka

        > I've just started translating Dode's _Medieval Costume of the Peoples
        > of the Northern Caucasus_, which has photos and diagrams of job lots
        > of grave finds, with reconstructions based on these and the Polovtsian
        > stone sculptures. There's a lot of stuff for the Alans, and one or
        > two Mongol bits as well.
        >
        > I've only just started, but I could send you some scans of the
        > reconstructions, if you think that would be useful. Nothing for the
        > Magyars - it's specifically Northern Caucasus finds.
        >
        > Of course, Googling "Polovtsian stone sculptures" gets you photos of
        > those, which will get you decorative motifs, at least.
        >
        > Kazimira
        > __._,_.

        That sounds really great, thank you! I'll look into the Polovtsian stone
        sculptures as well, thanks for the hint. Mongolian findings are a bit too
        far off, I think, but alanic and such tribes' decorations would be really
        cool. I have a bit of gold I could get drawn into thread, but I want to use
        that to make something as close to authentic I can get.
        - Rakka

        --
        rakka@ircnet

        "The midnight leather of my body suit that enclosed my body was as cliched
        as it sounded."

        Message 3 of 5 , May 29 4:22 PM
          Privat!
               I judged a Lady"s work at Kingdom A&S yesterday, who had entered a Mongolian Bogtaq. Very cool entry, a first attempt, but she had used birchbark for the framework, which she had ordered from a source in New England. Best of all, she is in the next Barony over (Middle Marches) in Columbus, Ohio. I tried to recruit her as a guest speaker at the Pennsic SIG meeting (not going) but she was interested in the next Slavic University, especially if its in Penn.

          Rose Kraftick aka Lady Ula'an Checheg   roseward@...

             If you are interested in chatting with her and finding out the source, she has graciously volunteered to answer any and all questions, She is new to the SCA but seems to have loads of talent, so be kind!

          Best Regards,
          'dok

        • T Duran
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2011
            On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 6:36 AM, Noora Salminen <harmaa.rakka@...> wrote:

            > That sounds really great, thank you! I'll look into the Polovtsian stone
            > sculptures as well, thanks for the hint. Mongolian findings are a bit too
            > far off, I think, but alanic and such tribes' decorations would be really
            > cool. I have a bit of gold I could get drawn into thread, but I want to use
            > that to make something as close to authentic I can get.

            If you want to really turn heads, foil the gold onto leather lace, and
            applique it in two-foot-wide interlace designs around the skirt of
            your leather tunic. Then sew bells along the edges of the side slits
            and collar opening and top it with a hat fringed with multicolored fur
            tails. I am *loving* this stuff. :^)

            Will hopefully get a ton of scanning done this weekend.

            Oh ! I just may have saved you the wait (and me a bit of scanning).
            I tried some googling in Cyrillic[1] and turned up someone who's got a
            bunch of the scans I was going to send you:

            http://swordmaster.org/2010/03/28/poloveckij-kostyum-i-ego-vliyanie.html

            Put through Google translate, the first illo under "Male Complex" is
            the interlaced leather applique - the author discusses the
            reconstruction farther down. The reconstruction color illustration of
            the kaftan they got it off of is at the very bottom of the page -- the
            guy in red on the left.

            Poking around this site - there's lots of other goodies here, too !

            Kazimira

            [1] I stuck "Alan leather applique" into Google translate English ->
            Russian, then Googled the Cyrillic output. That page was the first one
            to come up under image search.