Re: [sig] Re: Linens (and things)

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 7 , May 26 6:57 PM
      Greetings from Sofya to Meischa

      Stripes, per se, should not be thought exotic for any period of Rus. It is
      relatively difficult to dye linen, true, but the Russians have long been
      expert in working with linen and they did dye linen, and weave it in
      patterns, including stripes. That being said, simple white bleached and
      unbleached linen was by far the most common linen fabric - being the
      material of choice for undershirts, dress shirts, and underwear, and also
      used to make bags, wagon covers, sails, etc.

      Whether the particular striped fabric you have is appropriate is hard to say
      without seeing it. The suggestions to compare it to finds from Birka and
      the Middle East are good - they will help train your eye to what would be
      appropriate to the period.

      Not very much linen is found in archeological excavations in Rus because the
      soil conditions are particularly unfriendly to plant fibers. In fact, there
      was a type of fabric that was called "openwork" by early researchers who
      thought it was some sort of fancy open-work weave. The current theory is
      that it was actually woven in a pattern where some of the colors were woolen
      threads and some were linen, and the linen threads rotted away leaving the
      open spaces.

      Here's what I know about fabrics:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KRCfabric.html

      And dyes/colors:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KRCfabricdye.html

      And here are some notes from "Textiles of Novgorod" although I didn't take
      any notes from the section on striped fabrics - there wasn't much there:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/nahlik.html
      At your service,
      Sofya

      ___