Re: Russian textile vocab cheat sheet

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2011
      > Has anyone made or found such a glossary ?

      Maybe these?

      Alfred Schlomann's "Multilingual Dictionary of Spinning" and "Multilingual Dictionary of Weaving and Woven Fabrics"

      Online here: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/russian.html

      ~ Asfridhr
    • T Duran
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2011
        On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

        > Alfred Schlomann's "Multilingual Dictionary of Spinning" and "Multilingual Dictionary of Weaving and Woven Fabrics"
        >
        > Online here: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/russian.html

        Ooh. Very industrial in focus (lots of machine part names), but will
        have a play when my connection isn't playing up and see what else is
        in there...

        It's a start, thanks !

        Kazimira
      • Lisa Kies
        Message 3 of 5 , May 26, 2011
          Greetings from Sofya to Kazimira!

          Here is the glossary I've made for myself in the course of my translation
          work:
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/glossary.html

          Hopefully it cqn be of service,

          Sofya

          ___
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
          {o,o}
          (__(|
          "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
          -^-^-`

          On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM, T Duran <sazabhadri@...> wrote:

          > Hi all
          >
          > I'm looking for a Russian <-> English glossary of costume and textile
          > terms, mostly for second-guessing or supplementing Google Translate.
          > For instance, GT is giving me "smell" for the word which in this
          > context means "to wrap [a garment]". And I'm pretty sure that the
          > word being translated as "canvas" is probably actually better glossed
          > as "vegetable fibre fabric in a tabby weave", or possibly even just
          > "hemp cloth" or something. And there are some words that are just
          > defeating both GT and my Russian dictionary.
          >
          > Has anyone made or found such a glossary ?
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Kazimira

        • T Duran
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26, 2011
            Wonderful ! That's exactly what I was hoping to find ! In fact, I think
            xlast was the "canvas" word I was looking for. Depending on how well this
            project goes, I may be adding some words...

            Whee !

            Kazimira