Russian textile vocab cheat sheet

  • T Duran
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2011
      Hi all

      I'm looking for a Russian <-> English glossary of costume and textile
      terms, mostly for second-guessing or supplementing Google Translate.
      For instance, GT is giving me "smell" for the word which in this
      context means "to wrap [a garment]". And I'm pretty sure that the
      word being translated as "canvas" is probably actually better glossed
      as "vegetable fibre fabric in a tabby weave", or possibly even just
      "hemp cloth" or something. And there are some words that are just
      defeating both GT and my Russian dictionary.

      Has anyone made or found such a glossary ?

      Cheers,

      Kazimira
    • Quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2011
        > Has anyone made or found such a glossary ?

        Maybe these?

        Alfred Schlomann's "Multilingual Dictionary of Spinning" and "Multilingual Dictionary of Weaving and Woven Fabrics"

        Online here: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/russian.html

        ~ Asfridhr
      • T Duran
        Message 3 of 5 , May 25, 2011
          On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

          > Alfred Schlomann's "Multilingual Dictionary of Spinning" and "Multilingual Dictionary of Weaving and Woven Fabrics"
          >
          > Online here: http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/russian.html

          Ooh. Very industrial in focus (lots of machine part names), but will
          have a play when my connection isn't playing up and see what else is
          in there...

          It's a start, thanks !

          Kazimira
        • Lisa Kies
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26, 2011
            Greetings from Sofya to Kazimira!

            Here is the glossary I've made for myself in the course of my translation
            work:
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/glossary.html

            Hopefully it cqn be of service,

            Sofya

            ___
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
            {o,o}
            (__(|
            "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
            -^-^-`

            On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM, T Duran <sazabhadri@...> wrote:

            > Hi all
            >
            > I'm looking for a Russian <-> English glossary of costume and textile
            > terms, mostly for second-guessing or supplementing Google Translate.
            > For instance, GT is giving me "smell" for the word which in this
            > context means "to wrap [a garment]". And I'm pretty sure that the
            > word being translated as "canvas" is probably actually better glossed
            > as "vegetable fibre fabric in a tabby weave", or possibly even just
            > "hemp cloth" or something. And there are some words that are just
            > defeating both GT and my Russian dictionary.
            >
            > Has anyone made or found such a glossary ?
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Kazimira

          • T Duran
            Message 5 of 5 , May 26, 2011
              Wonderful ! That's exactly what I was hoping to find ! In fact, I think
              xlast was the "canvas" word I was looking for. Depending on how well this
              project goes, I may be adding some words...

              Whee !

              Kazimira