Polish question

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 4 , May 24, 2011
      Does anyone know if there are any Polish "oaths of service" to the crown?

      I was blindsided with a writ for Pelican and am working with Ekat to try to write an oath of service for me. I'd really like to give it in Polish with an English translation. If we can put one together with a "Polish" flavor I think I can get my cousins to translate it and help me with pronouncing it.
      As a merchant I don't want to give an oath of fealty, which would be playing favorites among my customers...so I'm looking for an oath of service.

      Ah... I'm going to have the vigil and elevation at Pennsic. It's where a lot of my friends are. We've reserved AEthelmearc Royal BMT for the middle Saturday early evening...I think from 6-9 with time for set-up and clean-up. Elevation will be in AEthelmearc court on Tuesday. If you have a minute, stop by and give advice. I still think they made a mistake but they tell me "shut up... just smile and say thank you."

      Thanks!
      YIS
      Maria P... Polish fabric merchant
    • Bphall76
      Message 2 of 4 , May 24, 2011
        Congratulations!

        Vasilisa

      • jjbober4@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 4 , May 25, 2011
          First of all, congratulations!

          For your edification, in my research I have not found what, in the west, would be called an oath of fealty. You have to remember that the relationship between the Crown and the szlachta was somewhat different from the more traditional feudal systems.

          What I have found are oaths that recognize the Crown as "overlord", or suzerain, and amounted to "yeah, you've got more friends than I do, so I won't piss you off...just leave me alone and let me do my thing". Really. Especially the later you get in our period of study, the szlachta saw themselves as equals (yes, some were more equal than others), and the power of the Crown came from them.

          Unfortunately the ones I have found were for land holders and said that you would keep the roads in your lands safe, dispense justice, and provide military service if called upon. As I recall, one of those oaths had seven specific points but the ones above are the only that come to mind at the moment.

          My personal oath was one of recognized suzerainty.

          Jan

[...]

        • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
          Message 4 of 4 , May 25, 2011
            There are none done. For my Laureling, I translated the oath into Polish and
            recited it. If anyone comes across anything extant, I'd love to know about
            it too!

            --
            Zygmunt Nadratowski
            "Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the