Re: An invitation! and a question

  • Petr
    Message 1 of 5 , May 24, 2011
      I wish I had realized exactly what was up with this. It sounds cool.

      For others wishing to read the original post, it's number 15260. Reading it helped me understand this better.

      Petr

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Beth Harper <lyndyn29@...> wrote:

      > Several months ago, when we were kicking around possibilities for
      > future hosting sites for Slavic U, I made a tentative offer to host a
      > gathering of some kind at Outland's upcoming Battlemoor II. I've been
      > kicking it around locally and a bunch of variously Eastern
      > European-personaed folks inkingdom are very interested in going ahead
      > with this, and I've secured a spot in the Artisan's Row schedule and
      > facilities for a SIG/Eastern European Interest tea/open-house/light
      > potluck.
      >
      > Battlemoor is a 5-day, 1000+-attendee event over 4th of July weekend
      > in the foothills of the Southern Rockies, on a working cattle ranch
      > specializing in the period Scottish Highland heritage breed. It is
      > honestly, hands-down, the most breathtakingly gorgeous SCA site I have
      > ever camped on, and it's very accessible for a site so remote - less
      > than 10 minutes off I-25, halfway between Denver and Santa Fe.
      >
      > Now, here's for the question: Artisan's Row has requested that
      > activities maintain a period feel, including in naming. My Iron Age
      > hillfort background leaves me at a loss! so I'm begging the knowledge
      > of later-period and urban people - if you were hosting such an
      > activity, and being attentive to period practices involving casual
      > social gatherings, what would you call it?
      >
      > If you've heard about Battlemoor and thought about coming, please,
      > please do. It's going to be a fantastic event. Lots more info about
      > the event at www.battlemoor.org, and I'll update as soon as I know
      > where we're fitting into the schedule.
      >
      > In Service,
      > Liepa Jonaskaite
      > Incipient Shire of Villaleon
      > Kingdom of the Outlands

    • Quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2011
        <<snip>>
        > Now, here's for the question: Artisan's Row has requested that
        > activities maintain a period feel, including in naming. My Iron Age
        > hillfort background leaves me at a loss! so I'm begging the knowledge
        > of later-period and urban people - if you were hosting such an
        > activity, and being attentive to period practices involving casual
        > social gatherings, what would you call it?
        <<snip>>

        Ooooh, The "Curia Regis Artus"!
        Tne Hanseatic-era "Courts of King Arthur" started showing up in Poland from the 14th century, and functioned much like a Hanseatic social club.

        "For it is the maner in Danswycke [Danzig] that the moste parte of all the merchaunte men have supped at vii. a clocke, and than they goe to Artus gardeyn to drinke and there to take there recreacyon, and sometyme to make bargains with theyr marchandise." So explained the 1560s fictional text The Deceyte of Women (Schlauch, 1959).

        It has social gatherings, food, bartering _and_ they seem to think there may have been some dressing up too, which means the non-14th century Hanseatic merchants won't feel out of place!

        Or maybe I'm just a little twisted and like the idea of medieval recreationists recreating a medieval recreationist society?
        There's a bit more information here: http://www.medieval-baltic.us/arthur.html

        ~Asfridhr
      • Beth Harper
        Message 3 of 5 , May 25, 2011
          *laughs* I wasn't sure exactly what was up with it, back then. And then a
          whole bunch of other hectic happened, and Battlemoor just snuck up on me,
          and now I'm scrambling to get it organized!

          Liepa

          On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Petr <gnomepete@...> wrote:

          > I wish I had realized exactly what was up with this. It sounds cool.
          >
          > For others wishing to read the original post, it's number 15260. Reading it
          > helped me understand this better.
          >
          > Petr

        • Beth Harper
          Message 4 of 5 , May 25, 2011
            > Ooooh, The "Curia Regis Artus"!
            > Tne Hanseatic-era "Courts of King Arthur" started showing up in Poland from
            > the 14th century, and functioned much like a Hanseatic social club.
            >
            > "For it is the maner in Danswycke [Danzig] that the moste parte of all the
            > merchaunte men have supped at vii. a clocke, and than they goe to Artus
            > gardeyn to drinke and there to take there recreacyon, and sometyme to make
            > bargains with theyr marchandise." So explained the 1560s fictional text The
            > Deceyte of Women (Schlauch, 1959).
            >
            > It has social gatherings, food, bartering _and_ they seem to think there
            > may have been some dressing up too, which means the non-14th century
            > Hanseatic merchants won't feel out of place!
            >
            > Or maybe I'm just a little twisted and like the idea of medieval
            > recreationists recreating a medieval recreationist society?
            > There's a bit more information here:
            > http://www.medieval-baltic.us/arthur.html
            >
            > ~Asfridhr
            >
            > *falls over ded from wow* That is SO. COOL.

            Medieval recreationists recreating a medieval medieval recerationist
            society. *chortles*

            Thank you thank you thank you!!!

            Liepa