Re: Need advice on persona

  • hl_katalena
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
      How would "Wife of Edward" look?

      Katalena

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

      > The doch' is useful to distinguish you from Vitasha Ivanova zhena, i.e.
      > daugher of... vs wife of...
      >
      > A woman's name usually changed when she got married.
      > Sofya
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 24, 2011
        Yes, yes, and yes. Wickenden discusses some of the possibilities, some of
        them quite unwieldy.
        http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html

        And perhaps I should have said a woman's name _often_ changed after marriage
        instead of "usually."

        Sofya

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 24, 2011
          Oh, that's a tough one. Edward is a Catholic saint, but he doesn't seem to
          be on my lists of Eastern Orthodox saints. In modern Russian, the name
          is Eduard, which would give us Katalena Eduardova zhena.

          I'm having trouble finding a medieval Russian equivalent of Edward. Going
          to the original Old English for inspiration... we see there are lots of
          different spellings (http://eagle.cch.kcl.ac.uk:8080/pase/persons/index.html ),
          none of which seem to be found in Wickenden, but here are some names that
          are evocative:

          Edviga... (although that's more like a different Anglo-Saxon name)
          Ed'.... Edor... Edrei
          Iador... Iadrei... Iabred... Idar... Idui... Obara... Obrad...
          Odor... Odur... Odo... Odoi... Odol... Ovad... Otrad...
          Udo... Udr... Uvar...
          Vardei... Vardamai...
          So you could also use one of the above as the basis of your Russian
          "patronymic" name.

          I just kept my father's name for my "Russian" name - Sofya Iakovleva
          doch' (James' daughter) instead of Sofya Sifridova zhena (Sifrid's wife). I
          would be known to my husband's people (Germans) as Sophia Sifridin.

          So there are lots of options. :-)

          Sofya

          On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 9:42 PM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:

          > How would "Wife of Edward" look?
          >
          > Katalena
          >
          > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The doch' is useful to distinguish you from Vitasha Ivanova zhena, i.e.
          > > daugher of... vs wife of...
          > >
          > > A woman's name usually changed when she got married.
          > > Sofya

        • hl_katalena
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 24, 2011
            I thought "Wife of Edward" would be easier than "Daughter of Elton". :)

            Thank you for the information. It gives me something to work on.

            Katalena

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

            > Oh, that's a tough one. Edward is a Catholic saint, but he doesn't seem to
            > be on my lists of Eastern Orthodox saints. In modern Russian, the name
            > is Eduard, which would give us Katalena Eduardova zhena.
            >
            > I'm having trouble finding a medieval Russian equivalent of Edward. Going
            > to the original Old English for inspiration... we see there are lots of
            > different spellings (http://eagle.cch.kcl.ac.uk:8080/pase/persons/index.html ),
            > none of which seem to be found in Wickenden, but here are some names that
            > are evocative:
            >
            > Edviga... (although that's more like a different Anglo-Saxon name)
            > Ed'.... Edor... Edrei
            > Iador... Iadrei... Iabred... Idar... Idui... Obara... Obrad...
            > Odor... Odur... Odo... Odoi... Odol... Ovad... Otrad...
            > Udo... Udr... Uvar...
            > Vardei... Vardamai...
            > So you could also use one of the above as the basis of your Russian
            > "patronymic" name.
            >
            > I just kept my father's name for my "Russian" name - Sofya Iakovleva
            > doch' (James' daughter) instead of Sofya Sifridova zhena (Sifrid's wife). I
            > would be known to my husband's people (Germans) as Sophia Sifridin.
            >
            > So there are lots of options. :-)
            >
            > Sofya

          • Lisa Kies
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 24, 2011
              *laugh*

              Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of course,
              there are often middle names to work from, too...

              Sofya

              On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:

              > I thought "Wife of Edward" would be easier than "Daughter of Elton". :)
              >
              > Thank you for the information. It gives me something to work on.
              >
              > Katalena
              >

              > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Oh, that's a tough one. Edward is a Catholic saint, but he doesn't seem
              > > be on my lists of Eastern Orthodox saints. In modern Russian, the name
              > > is Eduard, which would give us Katalena Eduardova zhena.
              > >
              > > I'm having trouble finding a medieval Russian equivalent of Edward.
              > Going
              > > to the original Old English for inspiration... we see there are lots of
              > > different spellings (
              > http://eagle.cch.kcl.ac.uk:8080/pase/persons/index.html ),
              > > none of which seem to be found in Wickenden, but here are some names that
              > > are evocative:
              > >
              > > Edviga... (although that's more like a different Anglo-Saxon name)
              > > Ed'.... Edor... Edrei
              > > Iador... Iadrei... Iabred... Idar... Idui... Obara... Obrad...
              > > Odor... Odur... Odo... Odoi... Odol... Ovad... Otrad...
              > > Udo... Udr... Uvar...
              > > Vardei... Vardamai...
              > > So you could also use one of the above as the basis of your Russian
              > > "patronymic" name.
              > >
              > > I just kept my father's name for my "Russian" name - Sofya Iakovleva
              > > doch' (James' daughter) instead of Sofya Sifridova zhena (Sifrid's wife).
              > > would be known to my husband's people (Germans) as Sophia Sifridin.
              > >
              > > So there are lots of options. :-)
              > >
              > > Sofya

            • hl_katalena
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 25, 2011
                Middle names...good idea! :)

                How about daughter of Hoover, Earl, or Phillips? My grandmother came up with some unusual name combinations for her kids. I often wondered...What Was She Thinking?! *laugh*

                Katalena

                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                > *laugh*
                >
                > Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of course,
                > there are often middle names to work from, too...
                >
                > Sofya
              • Lisa Kies
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 25, 2011
                  Ah, Phillip! Now we've got a real Russian name!

                  In Wickenden's 3rd edition: Filipp Iaskominov 1393. also Filipets,
                  Filipka, Filipko, Filka, Filko, Fili, Filip, Filipei, Fip, Pilip...

                  Feminine patronymic forms can be created from any of the above. The ones
                  documented in Wickenden: Filipova, Filipovskaia, Filippovna.

                  Sofya

                  On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:

                  > Middle names...good idea! :)
                  >
                  > How about daughter of Hoover, Earl, or Phillips? My grandmother came up
                  > with some unusual name combinations for her kids. I often wondered...What
                  > Was She Thinking?! *laugh*
                  >
                  > Katalena
                  >
                  > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > *laugh*
                  > >
                  > > Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of
                  > course,
                  > > there are often middle names to work from, too...
                  > >
                  > > Sofya

                • Amy Tubbs
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 25, 2011
                    Pick some that you like, and then get your local herald to try to pronounce
                    them. My patronymic (Ivanova) is constantly being mispronounced. Haven't
                    any of the heralds watched Babylon 5?!? ;-)
                    -- Vitasha

                    On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                    > Ah, Phillip! Now we've got a real Russian name!
                    >
                    > In Wickenden's 3rd edition: Filipp Iaskominov 1393. also Filipets,
                    > Filipka, Filipko, Filka, Filko, Fili, Filip, Filipei, Fip, Pilip...
                    >
                    > Feminine patronymic forms can be created from any of the above. The ones
                    > documented in Wickenden: Filipova, Filipovskaia, Filippovna.
                    >
                    > Sofya
                    >

                    > On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...>
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > > Middle names...good idea! :)
                    > >
                    > > How about daughter of Hoover, Earl, or Phillips? My grandmother came up
                    > > with some unusual name combinations for her kids. I often wondered...What
                    > > Was She Thinking?! *laugh*
                    > >
                    > > Katalena
                    > >
                    > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > *laugh*
                    > > >
                    > > > Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of
                    > > course,
                    > > > there are often middle names to work from, too...
                    > > >
                    > > > Sofya

                  • hl_katalena
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 26, 2011
                      THANK YOU!! That is wonderful. Now it will be easy to find the right last name. I cannot thank you enough.

                      Katalena

                      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                      > Ah, Phillip! Now we've got a real Russian name!
                      >
                      > In Wickenden's 3rd edition: Filipp Iaskominov 1393. also Filipets,
                      > Filipka, Filipko, Filka, Filko, Fili, Filip, Filipei, Fip, Pilip...
                      >
                      > Feminine patronymic forms can be created from any of the above. The ones
                      > documented in Wickenden: Filipova, Filipovskaia, Filippovna.
                      >
                      > Sofya
                      >

                      > On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Middle names...good idea! :)
                      > >
                      > > How about daughter of Hoover, Earl, or Phillips? My grandmother came up
                      > > with some unusual name combinations for her kids. I often wondered...What
                      > > Was She Thinking?! *laugh*
                      > >
                      > > Katalena
                      > >
                      > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > *laugh*
                      > > >
                      > > > Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of
                      > > course,
                      > > > there are often middle names to work from, too...
                      > > >
                      > > > Sofya

                    • hl_katalena
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 26, 2011
                        Very good idea! It would be wise to hear what the name sounds like before taking one. I will do that. :)

                        Katalena