Re: Need advice on persona

  • hl_katalena
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
      Sofya, thank you for the wonderful links!! Many of my questions were answered. This is great! I am very excited about learning more, so much information. :)

      Katalena
    • hl_katalena
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
        Vitasha, thank you! I will start looking for a good last name. The links you gave me are a great start. My russian persona is going to be much easier than I thought. The help I'm finding here with the SIG group is WONDERFUL! :)

        Katalena
      • Lisa Kies
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
          "We are saturated with bookish sweetness." It's a quote from sermon by
          Metropolitan Ilarion, 11th century.

          Sofya

          On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Amy Tubbs <ivanova.doch@...> wrote:

          > Sofya, what does "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti" mean?
          > --Vitasha
          >
          > On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
          >

          > --

          > ___
          > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
          > {o,o}
          > (__(|
          > "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
          > -^-^-`

        • Lisa Kies
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
            The doch' is useful to distinguish you from Vitasha Ivanova zhena, i.e.
            daugher of... vs wife of...

            A woman's name usually changed when she got married.
            Sofya
            On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Amy Tubbs <ivanova.doch@...> wrote:

            > I love working on period names. It seems to have been a convention of the
            > earlier period to have only had a first and last name (as we would call
            > them
            > today). My name is Vitasha Ivanova doch'. First name: Vitasha. Last
            > name:
            > Ivanova. doch' is an ending used to signify that I am the daughter...which
            > seems kind of redundant to me, but looks nice anyways.

          • Amy Tubbs
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
              So, before I married, I was Vitasha Ivanova doch'. Now that I am married,
              should I be Vitasha Ivanova doch' Ilina zhena (wife of Ilia) or even Vitasha
              Ilina zhena? Would it be allowable in period to be Vitasha Ivanova doch'
              but sometimes be referred to as Vitasha Ilina zhena?

              -- Vitasha

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
                How would "Wife of Edward" look?

                Katalena

                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                > The doch' is useful to distinguish you from Vitasha Ivanova zhena, i.e.
                > daugher of... vs wife of...
                >
                > A woman's name usually changed when she got married.
                > Sofya
              • Lisa Kies
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 24, 2011
                  Yes, yes, and yes. Wickenden discusses some of the possibilities, some of
                  them quite unwieldy.
                  http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html

                  And perhaps I should have said a woman's name _often_ changed after marriage
                  instead of "usually."

                  Sofya

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 24, 2011
                    Oh, that's a tough one. Edward is a Catholic saint, but he doesn't seem to
                    be on my lists of Eastern Orthodox saints. In modern Russian, the name
                    is Eduard, which would give us Katalena Eduardova zhena.

                    I'm having trouble finding a medieval Russian equivalent of Edward. Going
                    to the original Old English for inspiration... we see there are lots of
                    different spellings (http://eagle.cch.kcl.ac.uk:8080/pase/persons/index.html ),
                    none of which seem to be found in Wickenden, but here are some names that
                    are evocative:

                    Edviga... (although that's more like a different Anglo-Saxon name)
                    Ed'.... Edor... Edrei
                    Iador... Iadrei... Iabred... Idar... Idui... Obara... Obrad...
                    Odor... Odur... Odo... Odoi... Odol... Ovad... Otrad...
                    Udo... Udr... Uvar...
                    Vardei... Vardamai...
                    So you could also use one of the above as the basis of your Russian
                    "patronymic" name.

                    I just kept my father's name for my "Russian" name - Sofya Iakovleva
                    doch' (James' daughter) instead of Sofya Sifridova zhena (Sifrid's wife). I
                    would be known to my husband's people (Germans) as Sophia Sifridin.

                    So there are lots of options. :-)

                    Sofya

                    On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 9:42 PM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:

                    > How would "Wife of Edward" look?
                    >
                    > Katalena
                    >
                    > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The doch' is useful to distinguish you from Vitasha Ivanova zhena, i.e.
                    > > daugher of... vs wife of...
                    > >
                    > > A woman's name usually changed when she got married.
                    > > Sofya

                  • hl_katalena
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 24, 2011
                      I thought "Wife of Edward" would be easier than "Daughter of Elton". :)

                      Thank you for the information. It gives me something to work on.

                      Katalena

                      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                      > Oh, that's a tough one. Edward is a Catholic saint, but he doesn't seem to
                      > be on my lists of Eastern Orthodox saints. In modern Russian, the name
                      > is Eduard, which would give us Katalena Eduardova zhena.
                      >
                      > I'm having trouble finding a medieval Russian equivalent of Edward. Going
                      > to the original Old English for inspiration... we see there are lots of
                      > different spellings (http://eagle.cch.kcl.ac.uk:8080/pase/persons/index.html ),
                      > none of which seem to be found in Wickenden, but here are some names that
                      > are evocative:
                      >
                      > Edviga... (although that's more like a different Anglo-Saxon name)
                      > Ed'.... Edor... Edrei
                      > Iador... Iadrei... Iabred... Idar... Idui... Obara... Obrad...
                      > Odor... Odur... Odo... Odoi... Odol... Ovad... Otrad...
                      > Udo... Udr... Uvar...
                      > Vardei... Vardamai...
                      > So you could also use one of the above as the basis of your Russian
                      > "patronymic" name.
                      >
                      > I just kept my father's name for my "Russian" name - Sofya Iakovleva
                      > doch' (James' daughter) instead of Sofya Sifridova zhena (Sifrid's wife). I
                      > would be known to my husband's people (Germans) as Sophia Sifridin.
                      >
                      > So there are lots of options. :-)
                      >
                      > Sofya

                    • Lisa Kies
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 24, 2011
                        *laugh*

                        Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of course,
                        there are often middle names to work from, too...

                        Sofya

                        On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:

                        > I thought "Wife of Edward" would be easier than "Daughter of Elton". :)
                        >
                        > Thank you for the information. It gives me something to work on.
                        >
                        > Katalena
                        >

                        > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Oh, that's a tough one. Edward is a Catholic saint, but he doesn't seem
                        > > be on my lists of Eastern Orthodox saints. In modern Russian, the name
                        > > is Eduard, which would give us Katalena Eduardova zhena.
                        > >
                        > > I'm having trouble finding a medieval Russian equivalent of Edward.
                        > Going
                        > > to the original Old English for inspiration... we see there are lots of
                        > > different spellings (
                        > http://eagle.cch.kcl.ac.uk:8080/pase/persons/index.html ),
                        > > none of which seem to be found in Wickenden, but here are some names that
                        > > are evocative:
                        > >
                        > > Edviga... (although that's more like a different Anglo-Saxon name)
                        > > Ed'.... Edor... Edrei
                        > > Iador... Iadrei... Iabred... Idar... Idui... Obara... Obrad...
                        > > Odor... Odur... Odo... Odoi... Odol... Ovad... Otrad...
                        > > Udo... Udr... Uvar...
                        > > Vardei... Vardamai...
                        > > So you could also use one of the above as the basis of your Russian
                        > > "patronymic" name.
                        > >
                        > > I just kept my father's name for my "Russian" name - Sofya Iakovleva
                        > > doch' (James' daughter) instead of Sofya Sifridova zhena (Sifrid's wife).
                        > > would be known to my husband's people (Germans) as Sophia Sifridin.
                        > >
                        > > So there are lots of options. :-)
                        > >
                        > > Sofya

                      • hl_katalena
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 25, 2011
                          Middle names...good idea! :)

                          How about daughter of Hoover, Earl, or Phillips? My grandmother came up with some unusual name combinations for her kids. I often wondered...What Was She Thinking?! *laugh*

                          Katalena

                          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                          > *laugh*
                          >
                          > Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of course,
                          > there are often middle names to work from, too...
                          >
                          > Sofya
                        • Lisa Kies
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 25, 2011
                            Ah, Phillip! Now we've got a real Russian name!

                            In Wickenden's 3rd edition: Filipp Iaskominov 1393. also Filipets,
                            Filipka, Filipko, Filka, Filko, Fili, Filip, Filipei, Fip, Pilip...

                            Feminine patronymic forms can be created from any of the above. The ones
                            documented in Wickenden: Filipova, Filipovskaia, Filippovna.

                            Sofya

                            On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:

                            > Middle names...good idea! :)
                            >
                            > How about daughter of Hoover, Earl, or Phillips? My grandmother came up
                            > with some unusual name combinations for her kids. I often wondered...What
                            > Was She Thinking?! *laugh*
                            >
                            > Katalena
                            >
                            > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > *laugh*
                            > >
                            > > Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of
                            > course,
                            > > there are often middle names to work from, too...
                            > >
                            > > Sofya

                          • Amy Tubbs
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 25, 2011
                              Pick some that you like, and then get your local herald to try to pronounce
                              them. My patronymic (Ivanova) is constantly being mispronounced. Haven't
                              any of the heralds watched Babylon 5?!? ;-)
                              -- Vitasha

                              On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                              > Ah, Phillip! Now we've got a real Russian name!
                              >
                              > In Wickenden's 3rd edition: Filipp Iaskominov 1393. also Filipets,
                              > Filipka, Filipko, Filka, Filko, Fili, Filip, Filipei, Fip, Pilip...
                              >
                              > Feminine patronymic forms can be created from any of the above. The ones
                              > documented in Wickenden: Filipova, Filipovskaia, Filippovna.
                              >
                              > Sofya
                              >

                              > On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...>
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > > Middle names...good idea! :)
                              > >
                              > > How about daughter of Hoover, Earl, or Phillips? My grandmother came up
                              > > with some unusual name combinations for her kids. I often wondered...What
                              > > Was She Thinking?! *laugh*
                              > >
                              > > Katalena
                              > >
                              > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > *laugh*
                              > > >
                              > > > Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of
                              > > course,
                              > > > there are often middle names to work from, too...
                              > > >
                              > > > Sofya

                            • hl_katalena
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 26, 2011
                                THANK YOU!! That is wonderful. Now it will be easy to find the right last name. I cannot thank you enough.

                                Katalena

                                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                                > Ah, Phillip! Now we've got a real Russian name!
                                >
                                > In Wickenden's 3rd edition: Filipp Iaskominov 1393. also Filipets,
                                > Filipka, Filipko, Filka, Filko, Fili, Filip, Filipei, Fip, Pilip...
                                >
                                > Feminine patronymic forms can be created from any of the above. The ones
                                > documented in Wickenden: Filipova, Filipovskaia, Filippovna.
                                >
                                > Sofya
                                >

                                > On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Middle names...good idea! :)
                                > >
                                > > How about daughter of Hoover, Earl, or Phillips? My grandmother came up
                                > > with some unusual name combinations for her kids. I often wondered...What
                                > > Was She Thinking?! *laugh*
                                > >
                                > > Katalena
                                > >
                                > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > *laugh*
                                > > >
                                > > > Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of
                                > > course,
                                > > > there are often middle names to work from, too...
                                > > >
                                > > > Sofya

                              • hl_katalena
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 26, 2011
                                  Very good idea! It would be wise to hear what the name sounds like before taking one. I will do that. :)

                                  Katalena