Need advice on persona

  • hl_katalena
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
      I'm looking for advice on developing my SCA Russian persona. I'm trying to find the right time period for my persona, and ideas for a middle and last name.

      I love the idea of wearing Temple rings/jewlery! What clothing style did they wear with the Temple rings? T-tunic type dress, Sarafan, or something else?

      I'm trying to put together clothing that belong in the same time period for a married woman.

      Thank you for any advice someone may have.

      Katalena
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
        Greetings from Sofya to Katalena!

        On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:

        > I'm looking for advice on developing my SCA Russian persona. I'm trying
        > to find the right time period for my persona, and ideas for a middle and
        > last name.
        >
        > I love the idea of wearing Temple rings/jewlery! What clothing style did
        > they wear with the Temple rings? T-tunic type dress, Sarafan, or something
        > else?

        Temple rings are 9th-13th century, so T-tunic-type garments of various
        types. No sarafans - those are late period.

        > I'm trying to put together clothing that belong in the same time period
        > for a married woman.

        Have you seen these web sites?
        http://russiansig.wikispaces.com/Dress+-+Clothing+and+Accessories
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/easybreezy.html

        If those sites don't answer your questions, let me know.

        At your service,

        Sofya

        ___
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        {o,o}
        (__(|
        "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
        -^-^-`
      • Amy Tubbs
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
          I love working on period names. It seems to have been a convention of the
          earlier period to have only had a first and last name (as we would call them
          today). My name is Vitasha Ivanova doch'. First name: Vitasha. Last name:
          Ivanova. doch' is an ending used to signify that I am the daughter...which
          seems kind of redundant to me, but looks nice anyways.

          Paul has a great naming dictionary online that also gives name construction
          for various periods. http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/
          Here is a link to Predslava's and Paul's webpages on naming practices:
          http://russiansig.wikispaces.com/Names+and+Naming+Practices

          If you have an idea of a name or names that you like, and would like help
          with constructions, let me know. When I was choosing my name, I decided to
          go with Ivanova because it is created from my real father's name, John which
          translates into Ivan in Russian. I used to go by the nickname Sasha, so I
          chose VItasha as my first name since it sounded similar, and I knew my ear
          would be trained to hear it, so I would answer to that name.

          -- Vitasha

          On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:30 PM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:

          > I'm looking for advice on developing my SCA Russian persona. I'm trying to
          > find the right time period for my persona, and ideas for a middle and last
          > name.
          >
          > I love the idea of wearing Temple rings/jewlery! What clothing style did
          > they wear with the Temple rings? T-tunic type dress, Sarafan, or something
          > else?
          >
          > I'm trying to put together clothing that belong in the same time period for
          > a married woman.
          >
          > Thank you for any advice someone may have.
          >
          > Katalena

        • Amy Tubbs
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
            Sofya, what does "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti" mean?
            --Vitasha

            On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

            > Greetings from Sofya to Katalena!
            >

            > On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > I'm looking for advice on developing my SCA Russian persona. I'm trying
            > > to find the right time period for my persona, and ideas for a middle and
            > > last name.
            > >
            > > I love the idea of wearing Temple rings/jewlery! What clothing style did
            > > they wear with the Temple rings? T-tunic type dress, Sarafan, or
            > something
            > > else?
            > >

            > Temple rings are 9th-13th century, so T-tunic-type garments of various
            > types. No sarafans - those are late period.
            >

            > > I'm trying to put together clothing that belong in the same time period
            > > for a married woman.
            >
            > Have you seen these web sites?
            > http://russiansig.wikispaces.com/Dress+-+Clothing+and+Accessories
            > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/easybreezy.html
            >
            > If those sites don't answer your questions, let me know.
            >
            > At your service,
            >
            > Sofya

            > ___
            > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
            > {o,o}
            > (__(|
            > "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
            > -^-^-`
          • hl_katalena
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
              Sofya, thank you for the wonderful links!! Many of my questions were answered. This is great! I am very excited about learning more, so much information. :)

              Katalena
            • hl_katalena
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
                Vitasha, thank you! I will start looking for a good last name. The links you gave me are a great start. My russian persona is going to be much easier than I thought. The help I'm finding here with the SIG group is WONDERFUL! :)

                Katalena
              • Lisa Kies
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
                  "We are saturated with bookish sweetness." It's a quote from sermon by
                  Metropolitan Ilarion, 11th century.

                  Sofya

                  On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Amy Tubbs <ivanova.doch@...> wrote:

                  > Sofya, what does "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti" mean?
                  > --Vitasha
                  >
                  > On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > --

                  > ___
                  > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                  > {o,o}
                  > (__(|
                  > "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
                  > -^-^-`

                • Lisa Kies
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
                    The doch' is useful to distinguish you from Vitasha Ivanova zhena, i.e.
                    daugher of... vs wife of...

                    A woman's name usually changed when she got married.
                    Sofya

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
                      So, before I married, I was Vitasha Ivanova doch'. Now that I am married,
                      should I be Vitasha Ivanova doch' Ilina zhena (wife of Ilia) or even Vitasha
                      Ilina zhena? Would it be allowable in period to be Vitasha Ivanova doch'
                      but sometimes be referred to as Vitasha Ilina zhena?

                      -- Vitasha

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 23, 2011
                        How would "Wife of Edward" look?

                        Katalena

                        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                        > The doch' is useful to distinguish you from Vitasha Ivanova zhena, i.e.
                        > daugher of... vs wife of...
                        >
                        > A woman's name usually changed when she got married.
                        > Sofya
                      • Lisa Kies
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 24, 2011
                          Yes, yes, and yes. Wickenden discusses some of the possibilities, some of
                          them quite unwieldy.
                          http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html

                          And perhaps I should have said a woman's name _often_ changed after marriage
                          instead of "usually."

                          Sofya

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 24, 2011
                            Oh, that's a tough one. Edward is a Catholic saint, but he doesn't seem to
                            be on my lists of Eastern Orthodox saints. In modern Russian, the name
                            is Eduard, which would give us Katalena Eduardova zhena.

                            I'm having trouble finding a medieval Russian equivalent of Edward. Going
                            to the original Old English for inspiration... we see there are lots of
                            different spellings (http://eagle.cch.kcl.ac.uk:8080/pase/persons/index.html ),
                            none of which seem to be found in Wickenden, but here are some names that
                            are evocative:

                            Edviga... (although that's more like a different Anglo-Saxon name)
                            Ed'.... Edor... Edrei
                            Iador... Iadrei... Iabred... Idar... Idui... Obara... Obrad...
                            Odor... Odur... Odo... Odoi... Odol... Ovad... Otrad...
                            Udo... Udr... Uvar...
                            Vardei... Vardamai...
                            So you could also use one of the above as the basis of your Russian
                            "patronymic" name.

                            I just kept my father's name for my "Russian" name - Sofya Iakovleva
                            doch' (James' daughter) instead of Sofya Sifridova zhena (Sifrid's wife). I
                            would be known to my husband's people (Germans) as Sophia Sifridin.

                            So there are lots of options. :-)

                            Sofya

                            On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 9:42 PM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:

                            > How would "Wife of Edward" look?
                            >
                            > Katalena
                            >
                            > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > The doch' is useful to distinguish you from Vitasha Ivanova zhena, i.e.
                            > > daugher of... vs wife of...
                            > >
                            > > A woman's name usually changed when she got married.
                            > > Sofya

                          • hl_katalena
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 24, 2011
                              I thought "Wife of Edward" would be easier than "Daughter of Elton". :)

                              Thank you for the information. It gives me something to work on.

                              Katalena

                              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                              > Oh, that's a tough one. Edward is a Catholic saint, but he doesn't seem to
                              > be on my lists of Eastern Orthodox saints. In modern Russian, the name
                              > is Eduard, which would give us Katalena Eduardova zhena.
                              >
                              > I'm having trouble finding a medieval Russian equivalent of Edward. Going
                              > to the original Old English for inspiration... we see there are lots of
                              > different spellings (http://eagle.cch.kcl.ac.uk:8080/pase/persons/index.html ),
                              > none of which seem to be found in Wickenden, but here are some names that
                              > are evocative:
                              >
                              > Edviga... (although that's more like a different Anglo-Saxon name)
                              > Ed'.... Edor... Edrei
                              > Iador... Iadrei... Iabred... Idar... Idui... Obara... Obrad...
                              > Odor... Odur... Odo... Odoi... Odol... Ovad... Otrad...
                              > Udo... Udr... Uvar...
                              > Vardei... Vardamai...
                              > So you could also use one of the above as the basis of your Russian
                              > "patronymic" name.
                              >
                              > I just kept my father's name for my "Russian" name - Sofya Iakovleva
                              > doch' (James' daughter) instead of Sofya Sifridova zhena (Sifrid's wife). I
                              > would be known to my husband's people (Germans) as Sophia Sifridin.
                              >
                              > So there are lots of options. :-)
                              >
                              > Sofya

                            • Lisa Kies
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 24, 2011
                                *laugh*

                                Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of course,
                                there are often middle names to work from, too...

                                Sofya

                                On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:

                                > I thought "Wife of Edward" would be easier than "Daughter of Elton". :)
                                >
                                > Thank you for the information. It gives me something to work on.
                                >
                                > Katalena
                                >

                                > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Oh, that's a tough one. Edward is a Catholic saint, but he doesn't seem
                                > > be on my lists of Eastern Orthodox saints. In modern Russian, the name
                                > > is Eduard, which would give us Katalena Eduardova zhena.
                                > >
                                > > I'm having trouble finding a medieval Russian equivalent of Edward.
                                > Going
                                > > to the original Old English for inspiration... we see there are lots of
                                > > different spellings (
                                > http://eagle.cch.kcl.ac.uk:8080/pase/persons/index.html ),
                                > > none of which seem to be found in Wickenden, but here are some names that
                                > > are evocative:
                                > >
                                > > Edviga... (although that's more like a different Anglo-Saxon name)
                                > > Ed'.... Edor... Edrei
                                > > Iador... Iadrei... Iabred... Idar... Idui... Obara... Obrad...
                                > > Odor... Odur... Odo... Odoi... Odol... Ovad... Otrad...
                                > > Udo... Udr... Uvar...
                                > > Vardei... Vardamai...
                                > > So you could also use one of the above as the basis of your Russian
                                > > "patronymic" name.
                                > >
                                > > I just kept my father's name for my "Russian" name - Sofya Iakovleva
                                > > doch' (James' daughter) instead of Sofya Sifridova zhena (Sifrid's wife).
                                > > would be known to my husband's people (Germans) as Sophia Sifridin.
                                > >
                                > > So there are lots of options. :-)
                                > >
                                > > Sofya

                              • hl_katalena
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 25, 2011
                                  Middle names...good idea! :)

                                  How about daughter of Hoover, Earl, or Phillips? My grandmother came up with some unusual name combinations for her kids. I often wondered...What Was She Thinking?! *laugh*

                                  Katalena

                                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                                  > *laugh*
                                  >
                                  > Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of course,
                                  > there are often middle names to work from, too...
                                  >
                                  > Sofya
                                • Lisa Kies
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 25, 2011
                                    Ah, Phillip! Now we've got a real Russian name!

                                    In Wickenden's 3rd edition: Filipp Iaskominov 1393. also Filipets,
                                    Filipka, Filipko, Filka, Filko, Fili, Filip, Filipei, Fip, Pilip...

                                    Feminine patronymic forms can be created from any of the above. The ones
                                    documented in Wickenden: Filipova, Filipovskaia, Filippovna.

                                    Sofya

                                    On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:

                                    > Middle names...good idea! :)
                                    >
                                    > How about daughter of Hoover, Earl, or Phillips? My grandmother came up
                                    > with some unusual name combinations for her kids. I often wondered...What
                                    > Was She Thinking?! *laugh*
                                    >
                                    > Katalena
                                    >
                                    > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > *laugh*
                                    > >
                                    > > Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of
                                    > course,
                                    > > there are often middle names to work from, too...
                                    > >
                                    > > Sofya

                                  • Amy Tubbs
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 25, 2011
                                      Pick some that you like, and then get your local herald to try to pronounce
                                      them. My patronymic (Ivanova) is constantly being mispronounced. Haven't
                                      any of the heralds watched Babylon 5?!? ;-)
                                      -- Vitasha

                                      On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                                      > Ah, Phillip! Now we've got a real Russian name!
                                      >
                                      > In Wickenden's 3rd edition: Filipp Iaskominov 1393. also Filipets,
                                      > Filipka, Filipko, Filka, Filko, Fili, Filip, Filipei, Fip, Pilip...
                                      >
                                      > Feminine patronymic forms can be created from any of the above. The ones
                                      > documented in Wickenden: Filipova, Filipovskaia, Filippovna.
                                      >
                                      > Sofya
                                      >

                                      > On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > Middle names...good idea! :)
                                      > >
                                      > > How about daughter of Hoover, Earl, or Phillips? My grandmother came up
                                      > > with some unusual name combinations for her kids. I often wondered...What
                                      > > Was She Thinking?! *laugh*
                                      > >
                                      > > Katalena
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > *laugh*
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of
                                      > > course,
                                      > > > there are often middle names to work from, too...
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Sofya

                                    • hl_katalena
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 26, 2011
                                        THANK YOU!! That is wonderful. Now it will be easy to find the right last name. I cannot thank you enough.

                                        Katalena

                                        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                                        > Ah, Phillip! Now we've got a real Russian name!
                                        >
                                        > In Wickenden's 3rd edition: Filipp Iaskominov 1393. also Filipets,
                                        > Filipka, Filipko, Filka, Filko, Fili, Filip, Filipei, Fip, Pilip...
                                        >
                                        > Feminine patronymic forms can be created from any of the above. The ones
                                        > documented in Wickenden: Filipova, Filipovskaia, Filippovna.
                                        >
                                        > Sofya
                                        >

                                        > On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM, hl_katalena <hl_katalena@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Middle names...good idea! :)
                                        > >
                                        > > How about daughter of Hoover, Earl, or Phillips? My grandmother came up
                                        > > with some unusual name combinations for her kids. I often wondered...What
                                        > > Was She Thinking?! *laugh*
                                        > >
                                        > > Katalena
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > *laugh*
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Yeah, I think a Russianized Eduard would be easier than Elton. Of
                                        > > course,
                                        > > > there are often middle names to work from, too...
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Sofya

                                      • hl_katalena
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 26, 2011
                                          Very good idea! It would be wise to hear what the name sounds like before taking one. I will do that. :)

                                          Katalena