Re: [sig] Re: Boot leather?

  • T Duran
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2011
      On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Kristina Jarvis
      <kristina.jarvis@...> wrote:

      > I believe the leather I will be buying is veggie tanned, but I will find out for sure when I get to the shop. I plan on talking with someone tonight about this, as they are in the SCA and work at the leather shop in town.
      >
      > Now, would it be period to line the boot with another leather? It makes sense to do that to the footbed, and where there are seams to stop the seams from rubbing in. But is this a period practice?
      >
      > Also, does anyone out there know of some good boot construction sources? This is a first for me.

      This guy:
      http://wherearetheelves.net/

      is our local leather footwear expert. I don't that he's done many
      boots, but he would likely have sources he could point you to. One of
      his links is to a site that specializes in researching and
      constructing heeled shoes/boots:
      http://aands.org/raisedheels/

      HTH
      Kazimira
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2011
        The period boot that jumps to my mind was not lined, I don't think. Check out Michael of Safita's Medieval Russian Leather page; that's the one I think of, and the one my lord's boots are based upon (we had them made custom from Armlann.com). But it IS only a photo.

        Honestly, 90% of what I know is from a few years selling western cowboy boots and the rest is observation. In the store selling boots, we actually had two "disected" boots - one cut across the arch, the other cut right up the middle, toes to shin - to show construction.

        --Sfandra

        ******************
        Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        OL, OM, KOE, Haus VDK, East Kingdom
        http://sfandra.webs.com
        ******************
        Never 'pearl' your butt.
        "Ja mogu sdelat' to."
        ******************

        > buying is veggie tanned, but I will find out for sure when I
        > get to the shop. I plan on talking with someone tonight
        > about this, as they are in the SCA and work at the leather
        > shop in town.
        >
        > Now, would it be period to line the boot with another
        > leather? It makes sense to do that to the footbed, and where
        > there are seams to stop the seams from rubbing in. But is
        > this a period practice?
        >
        > Also, does anyone out there know of some good boot
        > construction sources? This is a first for me.
        >
        > Kseniia

      • Tamie
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2011
          When do the heels start to appear?