Some theses on Estonian archaeology:

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2 4:25 PM
      I thought this might interest some of our group members, but these are undergraduate and masters theses looking at Estonian archaeology (in no particular order):

      Kristel Kivi 2009. "Uderna Küla Kesk- ja Varauusajal" [The Village of Uderna in the Middle Ages and Early Modern Period] (Department of Archaeology, University of Tartu)
      http://www.arheo.ut.ee/theses/Kristel_KiviMA2009.pdf

      Maarja Olli 2010. "Ornament Rooma Rauaaegsetel Ehetel Kirde- ja Kagu-Eestis" [Ornamentation during Roman Iron Age in north-eastern and
      south-eastern Estonia] (Department of Archaeology, University of Tartu)
      http://www.arheo.ut.ee/theses/BA10_Olli.pdf

      Juhan Hepner 2010. Eesti Muinasaja Lõpu Linnused Sõjalisest Vaatepunktist [Late prehistoric strongholds of Estonia from a warfare
      viewpoint] (Department of Archaeology, University of Tartu)
      http://www.arheo.ut.ee/theses/BA10_Hepner.pdf

      Marianne Tähe 2010. "Punane Glasuurkeraamika Tartu Lutsu Tänav 2 Arheoloogilises Aineses" [Glazed red earthenware based on the excavations in Tartu Lutsu street 2.] (Department of Archaeology, University of Tartu)
      http://www.arheo.ut.ee/theses/BA10_Tahe.pdf
      (The summary seems to imply that some of the pottery may date from the Livonian war in the 16th c.)

      Martin Malve. 2010. "Tartu Toomkiriku kalmistu matuste osteoloogiline analüüs: kaks juhtumiuuringut" [Osteological analysis of the burials of the Tartu Cathedral cemetery: two case studies] (Department of Archaeology, University of Tartu)
      http://www.arheo.ut.ee/theses/Malve_MartinMA2010.pdf

      Eve Rannamäe 2010. "A Zooarchaeological Study of Animal Consumption in Medieval Viljandi" (Department of Archaeology, University of Tartu)
      http://www.arheo.ut.ee/theses/Eve_Rannam%E4eMA2010.pdf

      Rasmus Pruus 2010. "Keskaegsed jäätmekastid Tartus Munga tn 12 hoovis" [Medieval lavatory cesspits in the courtyard of 12 Munga Street, Tartu] (Department of Archaeology, University of Tartu)
      http://www.arheo.ut.ee/theses/BA10_Pruus.pdf
      (Looks at 14-17th c. cesspits! With leather armour!
      Apparently there is an article entirely about the leather forearm protection:
      Mäesalu, A., Peets, J. & Haiba, E. 2008. "Nahast küünarvarrekaitsmed keskaegsest Tartust." _Loodus, inimene ja tehnoloogia, 2. Interdistsiplinaarseid uurimusi arheoloogias._ (Tallinn) 27-36.)

      Enjoy!

      Asfridhr
    • Kirsten O
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4 2:16 PM
        ***happy dance***

        Many, many thanks! Now I need to learn to read Estonian...

        Rekon of Saaremaa