recipes

  • Marilyn Kinyon
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2011
      Does anyone have any online sources for polish, slavic, or russian recipes
      that were period?

      Thanks, Marija

      --
      *<http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/brainyquote/QUOTEBR/%7E3/iyyDshjR9cA/albert_schweitzer.html>
      *�If a miracle can happen at any time, then why not today?�

    • Amy Tubbs
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 29, 2011
        What are you looking to make? I have a kvass (a Russian weak fermented rye
        beverage) recipe in last season's Slovo. My husband has some food recipes.
        If you let me know what you are looking for, I can ask him for his sources.
        -- Vitasha

        On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Marilyn Kinyon <mamalynxx@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have any online sources for polish, slavic, or russian recipes
        > that were period?
        >
        > Thanks, Marija
        >
        > --
        > *<
        > http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/brainyquote/QUOTEBR/%7E3/iyyDshjR9cA/albert_schweitzer.html
        > >
        > *�If a miracle can happen at any time, then why not today?�
        > ~ Unknown ~

      • Beth Harper
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30, 2011
          Large chunks of Dembinska's "Food and Drink in Medieval Poland" are on
          Google Books (http://books.google.com/books?id=Iru2rMQR8eYC&lpg=PP1&dq=food%20and%20drink%20of%20medieval%20poland&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false),
          including the recipe section. They're not primary source recipes but
          they're well-researched reconstructions,

          Liepa

          On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Marilyn Kinyon <mamalynxx@...> wrote:
          > Does anyone have any online sources for polish, slavic, or russian recipes
          > that were period?
          >
          > Thanks, Marija

        • Magdalena
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 30, 2011
            Speaking for the research I've done on Medieval Poland, it's really difficult to find documented, period food. Dembinska's book is the best we have for Poland at the moment. And even with her book you have to be careful about accepting it as the final word.

            For instance, she suggests that the Polish word PIERNIKI comes from the German pfefferneuse. I'm having a hard time accepting this unless the Russian PRYANIKI also comes from the German. I would love to hear from a linguists on this one. LOL

            I encourage people to think beyond the accepted about Poland. Don't assume that everything in Poland was copied after something German.

            I'm on vacation for the next week. When I get back, I'll post my recipe.

            Thank you all for the encouragement.

            Magdalena