Russians and weaving

  • Bphall76
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21, 2011
      Hello all!

      I started weaving recently and am coming to enjoy diamond twills. My question is this: Would it be more likely to have diamond twill fabric(for clothing) with different warp and weft colors (so one could more easily discern the pattern) or warp and weft the same? I realize many fabrics could and were imported, but I am not sure what was considered more desirable. BTW, I'm looking at 12-14th century, Novogorod and Yaroslavl' if folks have specific information.

      Thanks!
      Vasilisa Myshkina
      Glymm Mere, An Tir

    • Spider
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 22, 2011
        Hi Vasilisa,
        There was a great article in "medieval clothing and textiles 4" about Ladoga and the textile finds there and they are quite extensive in the tools and fabric finds except to mention what the weaves were.
        This site: http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KRCfabric.html mentions that twills were around but doesn't go into the detail of warp and weft contrasting or not. If you find some more info on it please share. I've been working on a 13th c Novgorod outfit myself and would be very interested to know more. I'm also a weaver working on a broken diamond twill on my warp-weighted loom :D

        Caelfind

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Bphall76 <bphall76@...> wrote:

        > Hello all!
        >
        > I started weaving recently and am coming to enjoy diamond twills. My question is this: Would it be more likely to have diamond twill fabric(for clothing) with different warp and weft colors (so one could more easily discern the pattern) or warp and weft the same? I realize many fabrics could and were imported, but I am not sure what was considered more desirable. BTW, I'm looking at 12-14th century, Novogorod and Yaroslavl' if folks have specific information.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Vasilisa Myshkina
        > Glymm Mere, An Tir

      • Lisa Kies
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 23, 2011
          Greetings from Sofya!

          There's a little more detail here in my partial translation of an article
          about archeological textiles of Novgorod. I was mostly interested in the
          dyes and the "knitting" at the time, though.
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/nahlik.html
          At your service,
          Sofya
          On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Spider <widowmakerelf@...> wrote:

          > Hi Vasilisa,
          > There was a great article in "medieval clothing and textiles 4" about
          > Ladoga and the textile finds there and they are quite extensive in the tools
          > and fabric finds except to mention what the weaves were.
          > This site: http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KRCfabric.htmlmentions that twills were around but doesn't go into the detail of warp and
          > weft contrasting or not. If you find some more info on it please share.
          > I've been working on a 13th c Novgorod outfit myself and would be very
          > interested to know more. I'm also a weaver working on a broken diamond
          > twill on my warp-weighted loom :D
          >
          > Caelfind
          >
          > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Bphall76 <bphall76@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all!
          > >
          > > I started weaving recently and am coming to enjoy diamond twills. My
          > question is this: Would it be more likely to have diamond twill fabric(for
          > clothing) with different warp and weft colors (so one could more easily
          > discern the pattern) or warp and weft the same? I realize many fabrics
          > could and were imported, but I am not sure what was considered more
          > desirable. BTW, I'm looking at 12-14th century, Novogorod and Yaroslavl' if
          > folks have specific information.
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Vasilisa Myshkina
          > > Glymm Mere, An Tir

          ___
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
          {o,o}
          (__(|
          "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
          -^-^-`
        • T Duran
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2011
            On 3/24/11, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:
            > Greetings from Sofya!
            >
            > There's a little more detail here in my partial translation of an article
            > about archeological textiles of Novgorod. I was mostly interested in the
            > dyes and the "knitting" at the time, though.
            > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/nahlik.html
            > At your service,
            > Sofya
            > On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Spider <widowmakerelf@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hi Vasilisa,
            >> There was a great article in "medieval clothing and textiles 4" about
            >> Ladoga and the textile finds there and they are quite extensive in the
            >> tools
            >> and fabric finds except to mention what the weaves were.
            >> This site:
            >> http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KRCfabric.htmlmentions that
            >> twills were around but doesn't go into the detail of warp and
            >> weft contrasting or not. If you find some more info on it please share.
            >> I've been working on a 13th c Novgorod outfit myself and would be very
            >> interested to know more. I'm also a weaver working on a broken diamond
            >> twill on my warp-weighted loom :D
            >>
            >> Caelfind
            >>
            >> --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Bphall76 <bphall76@...> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > Hello all!
            >> >
            >> > I started weaving recently and am coming to enjoy diamond twills. My
            >> question is this: Would it be more likely to have diamond twill
            >> fabric(for
            >> clothing) with different warp and weft colors (so one could more easily
            >> discern the pattern) or warp and weft the same? I realize many fabrics
            >> could and were imported, but I am not sure what was considered more
            >> desirable. BTW, I'm looking at 12-14th century, Novogorod and Yaroslavl'
            >> if
            >> folks have specific information.
            >> >
            >> > Thanks!
            >> > Vasilisa Myshkina
            >> > Glymm Mere, An Tir

            > --

            > ___
            > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
            > {o,o}
            > (__(|
            > "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
            > -^-^-`

          • T Duran
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 24, 2011
              Sorry about the blank email -- not sure what happened there. :^/

              Er, hi everybody !

              Kazimira