Re: [sig] Hungarian Names

  • aldo
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21, 2011
      I can say following on the question:
      1. After Christianization the names both female and male have been the catholic ones especially refering to Italian Saints.
      2. Old Hungarian names are still present especially in families of old lineage and therefore you may find Geza/Vajk/Arpad or even Atilla (Attila the king of the Huns!)
      3. The names are very hard to recognize at once anyhow. Gellert is Gerald, Laszlo is Ladislav, Istvan is Steven, Zsuzsanna is Susanne, Jana is Jean, Bela is Adelbert
      4. As far as last/family names are concerned they were introduced by Maria Theresia and usually indicate the work or job such as Szabò or Tailor, Takacs or Webster and in many cases indicates the old ethnic origin such Horvat or Croatian
      5. The wife takes always the family name of her husband’s but adds a –né to it. Szabòné/Takacsné etc.
      Is it of nay use to you?
      Ciao

      Aldo

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2011
        On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:37 AM, kievanlady <kievanlady@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all! While teaching at our groups Collegium over the weekend, a young lady asked me about Hungarian names and naming practices. Since this is not something I have researched, I did not feel comfortable answering her question, but told her I would try to help her find someone who could. Is there anyone in the group who may be able to help her?

        The Medieval Names Archive is usually a good place to start:

        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/hungarian.shtml

        Kazimira