red dyes in Russia

  • Owlharp@juno.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2011
      Unto the noble members of the Slavic Interest Group does Fevronia give
      low bows and respectful greetings!

      The color red seems to always be mentioned as the most popular color for
      decorating medieval Russian garments, especially in embroidery. I'm just
      curious - what dyestuffs did they use in 12th century Russia to get their
      red colors? Are there any good sources of information on this?

      Fevronia Murometsa
      Groupon™ Official Site
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d7fc8b15d240266bc5st01vuc
    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22, 2011
        Greetings from Sofya to Fevronia!

        On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM, <Owlharp@...> wrote:

        > Unto the noble members of the Slavic Interest Group does Fevronia give
        > low bows and respectful greetings!
        >
        > The color red seems to always be mentioned as the most popular color for
        > decorating medieval Russian garments, especially in embroidery. I'm just
        > curious - what dyestuffs did they use in 12th century Russia to get their
        > red colors? Are there any good sources of information on this?
        >
        > Fevronia Murometsa
        >
        > I apologize for the delay in replying - I was at Gulf Wars last week. :-)

        Here is what I know of dyes in medieval Russia:
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KRCfabricdye.html
        Hit "refresh" to get rid of the annoying white stripe down the right side of
        the page.

        At your service,

        Sofya

        ___
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        {o,o}
        (__(|
        "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
        -^-^-`
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 22, 2011
          Bol'shoye spasibo, dorogaya moya! I hope you had a totally wonderful time
          at Gulf Wars!

          Fevronia

          On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 19:45:34 -0500 Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> writes:

          Greetings from Sofya to Fevronia!

          On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:10 PM, <Owlharp@...> wrote:

          > Unto the noble members of the Slavic Interest Group does Fevronia give
          > low bows and respectful greetings!
          >
          > The color red seems to always be mentioned as the most popular color
          for
          > decorating medieval Russian garments, especially in embroidery. I'm
          just
          > curious - what dyestuffs did they use in 12th century Russia to get
          their
          > red colors? Are there any good sources of information on this?
          >
          > Fevronia Murometsa
          >
          > I apologize for the delay in replying - I was at Gulf Wars last week.
          :-)

          Here is what I know of dyes in medieval Russia:
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KRCfabricdye.html
          Hit "refresh" to get rid of the annoying white stripe down the right side
          of
          the page.

          At your service,

          Sofya

          ___
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
          {o,o}
          (__(|
          "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
          -^-^-`

        • rickjs
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2011
            I don't know about 12th, but in the 15-16th C. the best very expensive crimson dye from insects (Polish cochineal (Porphyrophora polonica)/ Polish carmine scales) was sourced in russian lands and so was comparitively less expensive/ more common there than in the west.
            They used cheaper vegi dyes too or started with vegi and finished with cochineal- even in Russia cochineal was expensive.