Re: [sig] Slavic University in Calontir?

  • Lisa Kies
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2011
      Greetings from Sofya!

      On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Suzanne <sovagris@...> wrote:

      > Would anyone come to a Slavic University in October in Iowa? Would SIG
      > members accept some Viking (i.e., neighbors to the Slavs) programming in
      > order to attract more of the local populace? Am I crazy? <I *know* the
      > answer to that last question!>
      >
      > Susanna de l'Essart
      > Canton of Axed Root
      > [mundanely: Ames, Iowa]

      I would be delighted to have a SIG RUSH in Axed Root (and even help with
      it), since I went to college there and only live a couple of hours away.
      I've thought of doing it here in Heraldshill (Mason City, IA), but we're too
      small of a group.

      However, I don't like the idea of making it a Viking/Slavic event (or
      German/Slavic or whatever) although I'm not sure that's what you're really
      proposing. Most of the time, we Slavs are the foreigners picking for scraps
      of relevant info among the Western Horde. It's nice to have an event where
      we're the natives and the Vikings/English/Italians are the foreign visitors.

      Which is not to say that we shouldn't have classes on, say, the implications
      of the "Viking" apron dress excavated in Pskov, the Italian influence on
      Hungarian court architecture, the ways the Polish dress influenced German
      fashions, the assimilation of Viking settlers in the eastern Baltic states,
      Orthodox vs. Catholic ritual, etc. Those sorts of classes have always been
      welcome - and that may have been all you were suggesting.

      It could be great fun to have a Slavic University based on a theme of
      cross-cultural _Slavic_ influences - and help engage the local Vikings,
      Germans, English, Italians, what have you.

      Just some thoughts,
      Sofya

      ___
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
      {o,o}
      (__(|
      "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
      -^-^-`
    • Suzanne
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 6, 2011
        Thank you, Sofya, for helping to clarify my thoughts!

        We are a small group, with the newer members mostly interested in Viking matters, so I was headed toward offering one track in Viking culture (*garb* for sure, and similarities in naming practices...) to get them thinking about cross-cultural interactions. I try to get folks to think about their persona's geography--including borders, neighbors, travel, language--while building a back story. There should be lots of maps!

        I like your spin on the theme much better than mine. Let's keep the conversation going for a while and see where we end up.

        I'm a little worried that the canton is too small to pull this off. (Last year's RUSH did not run smoothly.) Also, the seneschal and I both work in offices where the workload intensifies in early fall as everyone heads back to school--we'd need to have things well in hand by August 1st in order to pull off a Slavic University in October. [And, there's the issue of our Barony hosting a kingdom event in September. Will people get tired of driving to central Iowa?] On the up side, when we discussed not doing a fall event in the canton this year some people expressed interest in trying an A&S-type event again.

        Decisions, decisions... :-)
        Susanna

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

        > Greetings from Sofya!
        >
        > On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Suzanne <sovagris@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Would anyone come to a Slavic University in October in Iowa? Would SIG
        > > members accept some Viking (i.e., neighbors to the Slavs) programming in
        > > order to attract more of the local populace? Am I crazy? <I *know* the
        > > answer to that last question!>
        > >
        > > Susanna de l'Essart
        > > Canton of Axed Root
        > > [mundanely: Ames, Iowa]
        > >

        > I would be delighted to have a SIG RUSH in Axed Root (and even help with
        > it), since I went to college there and only live a couple of hours away.
        > I've thought of doing it here in Heraldshill (Mason City, IA), but we're too
        > small of a group.
        >
        > However, I don't like the idea of making it a Viking/Slavic event (or
        > German/Slavic or whatever) although I'm not sure that's what you're really
        > proposing. Most of the time, we Slavs are the foreigners picking for scraps
        > of relevant info among the Western Horde. It's nice to have an event where
        > we're the natives and the Vikings/English/Italians are the foreign visitors.
        >
        > Which is not to say that we shouldn't have classes on, say, the implications
        > of the "Viking" apron dress excavated in Pskov, the Italian influence on
        > Hungarian court architecture, the ways the Polish dress influenced German
        > fashions, the assimilation of Viking settlers in the eastern Baltic states,
        > Orthodox vs. Catholic ritual, etc. Those sorts of classes have always been
        > welcome - and that may have been all you were suggesting.
        >
        > It could be great fun to have a Slavic University based on a theme of
        > cross-cultural _Slavic_ influences - and help engage the local Vikings,
        > Germans, English, Italians, what have you.
        >
        > Just some thoughts,
        > Sofya
        > --

        > ___
        > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        > {o,o}
        > (__(|
        > "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
        > -^-^-`

      • John Kowal
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2011
          Greetings!
          I have only had the opportunity to visit Calontir for the Lillies War, this would be another opportunity to vosot Calontir. For curriculum, I would also suggest that a debate or discussion panel could be organized around the Normanist (ie. viking) influences vs Slavic Influences to add a bit of spice to the event.
          AVL

          On 2011-03-06, at 7:43 PM, Suzanne wrote:

> [...]
          > > Hungarian court architecture, the ways the Polish dress influenced German
          > > fashions, the assimilation of Viking settlers in the eastern Baltic states,
          > > Orthodox vs. Catholic ritual, etc. Those sorts of classes have always been
          > > welcome - and that may have been all you were suggesting.
          > >
          > > It could be great fun to have a Slavic University based on a theme of
          > > cross-cultural _Slavic_ influences - and help engage the local Vikings,
          > > Germans, English, Italians, what have you.
          > >
          > > Just some thoughts,
          > > Sofya
          > > --
          > >
          > > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Sofya la Rus, OL, CW, CSH, druzhinnitsa Kramolnikova
          > > Mason City, IA aka Shire of Heraldshill, Calontir
          > > ___
          > > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
          > > {o,o}
          > > "Si no necare, sana." "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"

        • Magdalena
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 7, 2011
            Sofya, you put it so well. I like what you said. Just this weekend I was at a local event where a Kossack (sp) lord was also in attendance. He was excited I knew he was Kossack. I was excited to see another Slav! and I sent SIG information his way.

            We are in the minority.

            And if the money gods are kind and I'm able to make it to the next Slavic U, I would be willing to do a class on the Pskov find.

            In Service,
            Magdalena
          • Quokkaqueen
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 9, 2011
              <<snip>>
              >Would SIG members accept some Viking (i.e., neighbors to the Slavs) programming in order to attract more of the local populace? Am I crazy? <I *know* the answer to that last question!>
              <<snip>>

              There is a solution, since the SIG isn't *just* Slavic -- we have Finns and Balts hiding out here too! You don't need to jump from Slav to Scandinavian to get your Viking-esque stuff, you can see what the groups *in between* were doing.

              Say, for example, the Livonians seemed to have adopted Norse tortoise brooches, but also kept their oh-so-stylish bronze spiral encrusted mantles.
              (Can't find any pictures! Will have to give a text summary: http://www.amberbridge.org/Arkhang/09.pdf
              Here's a reconstruction photo with the smaller, 'local' brooches: http://www.li.lv/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=1129 You need to right click to view the picture by itself to see all the details,)

              In the same vein, Finns seem to have occasionally adopted Vendel-period jewellery from Scandinavia, and wore it long after it had gone out of fashion in it's homeland.

              Heck, look at the other 'Vikings' out there, like the Latgallians and Curonians who also set out on raids around the Baltic sea. There's plenty of Viking-ing to be had without any actual Scandinavians involved!

              ~Asfridhr
              (This may be part of a personal mission to encourage more Finno-Ugrian stuff. Shame I'm on the wrong continent and can't come to a SIG event.) :-p
            • John Staeck
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
                This is very true.  Material from the North German Plain makes it way into the Great Moravian materials regularly, including recent finds of gaming pieces at Breclav-Pohansko.  There is certainly evidence for contact between many Slavic groups and neighbors who were a little bit of this and a little bit of that in terms of borrowing.  Diffusion for the victory!

                Pax - Janos

              • jjbober4@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
                  ...and let us not forget that Mieszko's daughter married Swen Forkbeard and was the mother of Canute the Great. :)

                  Jan