Re: [sig] Slavic University in Calontir?

  • AriRo53@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2011
      This humble Viking (OK, moved to the 14th Century to get my name passed,
      sigh) would indeed make her best effort to attend A Slavic U plus Viking
      interests in Iowa in October. (Our #1 kid attended Wartburg in Waverly just 10
      miles from the John Deere plant in Waterloo!)
      Peace and happy planning,
      Johanne i Visby
      (Canton of Brokenbridge ...Brooklyn, New York)

    • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2011
        I'd make every effort to be there!
        --
        Zygmunt Nadratowski
        "Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 4, 2011
          I couldn't commit until I got more information. October is exceedingly busy for me mundanely. That said, I would not be phased by the trip... I'm seeing weekend RT airfares from Carolingia to Coeur D'Ennui around the $400 mark, which is do-able for me. (My preferred airline can get me there, apparently, but not back! LOL!)

          --Sfandra

          ******************
          Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
          KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom
          http://sfandra.webs.com
          ******************
          Never 'pearl' your butt.
          "Ja mogu sdelat' to."
          ******************

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 5, 2011
            Greetings from Sofya!

            On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Suzanne <sovagris@...> wrote:

            > Would anyone come to a Slavic University in October in Iowa? Would SIG
            > members accept some Viking (i.e., neighbors to the Slavs) programming in
            > order to attract more of the local populace? Am I crazy? <I *know* the
            > answer to that last question!>
            >
            > Susanna de l'Essart
            > Canton of Axed Root
            > [mundanely: Ames, Iowa]

            I would be delighted to have a SIG RUSH in Axed Root (and even help with
            it), since I went to college there and only live a couple of hours away.
            I've thought of doing it here in Heraldshill (Mason City, IA), but we're too
            small of a group.

            However, I don't like the idea of making it a Viking/Slavic event (or
            German/Slavic or whatever) although I'm not sure that's what you're really
            proposing. Most of the time, we Slavs are the foreigners picking for scraps
            of relevant info among the Western Horde. It's nice to have an event where
            we're the natives and the Vikings/English/Italians are the foreign visitors.

            Which is not to say that we shouldn't have classes on, say, the implications
            of the "Viking" apron dress excavated in Pskov, the Italian influence on
            Hungarian court architecture, the ways the Polish dress influenced German
            fashions, the assimilation of Viking settlers in the eastern Baltic states,
            Orthodox vs. Catholic ritual, etc. Those sorts of classes have always been
            welcome - and that may have been all you were suggesting.

            It could be great fun to have a Slavic University based on a theme of
            cross-cultural _Slavic_ influences - and help engage the local Vikings,
            Germans, English, Italians, what have you.

            Just some thoughts,
            Sofya

            ___
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
            {o,o}
            (__(|
            "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
            -^-^-`
          • Suzanne
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2011
              Thank you, Sofya, for helping to clarify my thoughts!

              We are a small group, with the newer members mostly interested in Viking matters, so I was headed toward offering one track in Viking culture (*garb* for sure, and similarities in naming practices...) to get them thinking about cross-cultural interactions. I try to get folks to think about their persona's geography--including borders, neighbors, travel, language--while building a back story. There should be lots of maps!

              I like your spin on the theme much better than mine. Let's keep the conversation going for a while and see where we end up.

              I'm a little worried that the canton is too small to pull this off. (Last year's RUSH did not run smoothly.) Also, the seneschal and I both work in offices where the workload intensifies in early fall as everyone heads back to school--we'd need to have things well in hand by August 1st in order to pull off a Slavic University in October. [And, there's the issue of our Barony hosting a kingdom event in September. Will people get tired of driving to central Iowa?] On the up side, when we discussed not doing a fall event in the canton this year some people expressed interest in trying an A&S-type event again.

              Decisions, decisions... :-)
              Susanna

              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

              > Greetings from Sofya!
              >
              > On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Suzanne <sovagris@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Would anyone come to a Slavic University in October in Iowa? Would SIG
              > > members accept some Viking (i.e., neighbors to the Slavs) programming in
              > > order to attract more of the local populace? Am I crazy? <I *know* the
              > > answer to that last question!>
              > >
              > > Susanna de l'Essart
              > > Canton of Axed Root
              > > [mundanely: Ames, Iowa]
              > >

              > I would be delighted to have a SIG RUSH in Axed Root (and even help with
              > it), since I went to college there and only live a couple of hours away.
              > I've thought of doing it here in Heraldshill (Mason City, IA), but we're too
              > small of a group.
              >
              > However, I don't like the idea of making it a Viking/Slavic event (or
              > German/Slavic or whatever) although I'm not sure that's what you're really
              > proposing. Most of the time, we Slavs are the foreigners picking for scraps
              > of relevant info among the Western Horde. It's nice to have an event where
              > we're the natives and the Vikings/English/Italians are the foreign visitors.
              >
              > Which is not to say that we shouldn't have classes on, say, the implications
              > of the "Viking" apron dress excavated in Pskov, the Italian influence on
              > Hungarian court architecture, the ways the Polish dress influenced German
              > fashions, the assimilation of Viking settlers in the eastern Baltic states,
              > Orthodox vs. Catholic ritual, etc. Those sorts of classes have always been
              > welcome - and that may have been all you were suggesting.
              >
              > It could be great fun to have a Slavic University based on a theme of
              > cross-cultural _Slavic_ influences - and help engage the local Vikings,
              > Germans, English, Italians, what have you.
              >
              > Just some thoughts,
              > Sofya
              > --

              > ___
              > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
              > {o,o}
              > (__(|
              > "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
              > -^-^-`

            • John Kowal
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6, 2011
                Greetings!
                I have only had the opportunity to visit Calontir for the Lillies War, this would be another opportunity to vosot Calontir. For curriculum, I would also suggest that a debate or discussion panel could be organized around the Normanist (ie. viking) influences vs Slavic Influences to add a bit of spice to the event.
                AVL

                On 2011-03-06, at 7:43 PM, Suzanne wrote:

> [...]
                > > Hungarian court architecture, the ways the Polish dress influenced German
                > > fashions, the assimilation of Viking settlers in the eastern Baltic states,
                > > Orthodox vs. Catholic ritual, etc. Those sorts of classes have always been
                > > welcome - and that may have been all you were suggesting.
                > >
                > > It could be great fun to have a Slavic University based on a theme of
                > > cross-cultural _Slavic_ influences - and help engage the local Vikings,
                > > Germans, English, Italians, what have you.
                > >
                > > Just some thoughts,
                > > Sofya
                > > --
                > >
                > > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Sofya la Rus, OL, CW, CSH, druzhinnitsa Kramolnikova
                > > Mason City, IA aka Shire of Heraldshill, Calontir
                > > ___
                > > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                > > {o,o}
                > > "Si no necare, sana." "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"

              • Magdalena
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 7, 2011
                  Sofya, you put it so well. I like what you said. Just this weekend I was at a local event where a Kossack (sp) lord was also in attendance. He was excited I knew he was Kossack. I was excited to see another Slav! and I sent SIG information his way.

                  We are in the minority.

                  And if the money gods are kind and I'm able to make it to the next Slavic U, I would be willing to do a class on the Pskov find.

                  In Service,
                  Magdalena
                • Quokkaqueen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 9, 2011
                    <<snip>>
                    >Would SIG members accept some Viking (i.e., neighbors to the Slavs) programming in order to attract more of the local populace? Am I crazy? <I *know* the answer to that last question!>
                    <<snip>>

                    There is a solution, since the SIG isn't *just* Slavic -- we have Finns and Balts hiding out here too! You don't need to jump from Slav to Scandinavian to get your Viking-esque stuff, you can see what the groups *in between* were doing.

                    Say, for example, the Livonians seemed to have adopted Norse tortoise brooches, but also kept their oh-so-stylish bronze spiral encrusted mantles.
                    (Can't find any pictures! Will have to give a text summary: http://www.amberbridge.org/Arkhang/09.pdf
                    Here's a reconstruction photo with the smaller, 'local' brooches: http://www.li.lv/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=1129 You need to right click to view the picture by itself to see all the details,)

                    In the same vein, Finns seem to have occasionally adopted Vendel-period jewellery from Scandinavia, and wore it long after it had gone out of fashion in it's homeland.

                    Heck, look at the other 'Vikings' out there, like the Latgallians and Curonians who also set out on raids around the Baltic sea. There's plenty of Viking-ing to be had without any actual Scandinavians involved!

                    ~Asfridhr
                    (This may be part of a personal mission to encourage more Finno-Ugrian stuff. Shame I'm on the wrong continent and can't come to a SIG event.) :-p
                  • John Staeck
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
                      This is very true.  Material from the North German Plain makes it way into the Great Moravian materials regularly, including recent finds of gaming pieces at Breclav-Pohansko.  There is certainly evidence for contact between many Slavic groups and neighbors who were a little bit of this and a little bit of that in terms of borrowing.  Diffusion for the victory!

                      Pax - Janos

                    • jjbober4@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
                        ...and let us not forget that Mieszko's daughter married Swen Forkbeard and was the mother of Canute the Great. :)

                        Jan