Slavic University in Calontir?

  • Suzanne
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2011
      Your job--should you choose to accept it--is to talk me out of this idea.

      Calontir has a tradition of large A&S events called "RUSH" (Royal University of Scir Havoc). SIG wishes for a Slavic University event to be held in a location it's never been before. Can these two concepts work together? Would anyone come to a Slavic University in October in Iowa? Would SIG members accept some Viking (i.e., neighbors to the Slavs) programming in order to attract more of the local populace? Am I crazy? <I *know* the answer to that last question!>

      Susanna de l'Essart
      Canton of Axed Root
      [mundanely: Ames, Iowa]
    • Patty
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 3, 2011
        Hmm , I've been to your shire -- well,it was 12 years before I joined the SCA....

        It definitely sounds like a doable idea to me. I can't guarantee whether I would show up, because I am unemployed at the moment and I have no idea whether I could afford to get there.

        Good luck with it, though, because I'll bet it could work!

        Cheers,
        Patricia of Trakai

        Your job--should you choose to accept it--is to talk me out of this idea.

        Calontir has a tradition of large A&S events called "RUSH" (Royal University of

        Scir Havoc). SIG wishes for a Slavic University event to be held in a location

        it's never been before. Can these two concepts work together? Would anyone

        come to a Slavic University in October in Iowa? Would SIG members accept some

        Viking (i.e., neighbors to the Slavs) programming in order to attract more of

        the local populace? Am I crazy? <I *know* the answer to that last question!>

        Susanna de l'Essart

        Canton of Axed Root

        [mundanely: Ames, Iowa]

        Individual Email | Traditional

        (Yahoo! ID required)

        sig-digest@yahoogroups.com

        sig-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • AriRo53@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3, 2011
          This humble Viking (OK, moved to the 14th Century to get my name passed,
          sigh) would indeed make her best effort to attend A Slavic U plus Viking
          interests in Iowa in October. (Our #1 kid attended Wartburg in Waverly just 10
          miles from the John Deere plant in Waterloo!)
          Peace and happy planning,
          Johanne i Visby
          (Canton of Brokenbridge ...Brooklyn, New York)

        • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4, 2011
            I'd make every effort to be there!
            --
            Zygmunt Nadratowski
            "Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2011
              I couldn't commit until I got more information. October is exceedingly busy for me mundanely. That said, I would not be phased by the trip... I'm seeing weekend RT airfares from Carolingia to Coeur D'Ennui around the $400 mark, which is do-able for me. (My preferred airline can get me there, apparently, but not back! LOL!)

              --Sfandra

              ******************
              Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
              KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom
              http://sfandra.webs.com
              ******************
              Never 'pearl' your butt.
              "Ja mogu sdelat' to."
              ******************

              > Calontir has a tradition of large A&S events called
              > "RUSH" (Royal University of Scir Havoc).  SIG wishes
              > for a Slavic University event to be held in a location it's
              > never been before.  Can these two concepts work
              > together?  Would anyone come to a Slavic University in
              > October in Iowa?  Would SIG members accept some Viking
              > (i.e., neighbors to the Slavs) programming in order to
              > attract more of the local populace?  Am I crazy?
              > <I *know* the answer to that last question!>
              >
              > Susanna de l'Essart
              > Canton of Axed Root
              > [mundanely: Ames, Iowa]

              >     sig-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Lisa Kies
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2011
                Greetings from Sofya!

                On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Suzanne <sovagris@...> wrote:

                > Would anyone come to a Slavic University in October in Iowa? Would SIG
                > members accept some Viking (i.e., neighbors to the Slavs) programming in
                > order to attract more of the local populace? Am I crazy? <I *know* the
                > answer to that last question!>
                >
                > Susanna de l'Essart
                > Canton of Axed Root
                > [mundanely: Ames, Iowa]

                I would be delighted to have a SIG RUSH in Axed Root (and even help with
                it), since I went to college there and only live a couple of hours away.
                I've thought of doing it here in Heraldshill (Mason City, IA), but we're too
                small of a group.

                However, I don't like the idea of making it a Viking/Slavic event (or
                German/Slavic or whatever) although I'm not sure that's what you're really
                proposing. Most of the time, we Slavs are the foreigners picking for scraps
                of relevant info among the Western Horde. It's nice to have an event where
                we're the natives and the Vikings/English/Italians are the foreign visitors.

                Which is not to say that we shouldn't have classes on, say, the implications
                of the "Viking" apron dress excavated in Pskov, the Italian influence on
                Hungarian court architecture, the ways the Polish dress influenced German
                fashions, the assimilation of Viking settlers in the eastern Baltic states,
                Orthodox vs. Catholic ritual, etc. Those sorts of classes have always been
                welcome - and that may have been all you were suggesting.

                It could be great fun to have a Slavic University based on a theme of
                cross-cultural _Slavic_ influences - and help engage the local Vikings,
                Germans, English, Italians, what have you.

                Just some thoughts,
                Sofya

                ___
                http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                {o,o}
                (__(|
                "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
                -^-^-`
              • Suzanne
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6, 2011
                  Thank you, Sofya, for helping to clarify my thoughts!

                  We are a small group, with the newer members mostly interested in Viking matters, so I was headed toward offering one track in Viking culture (*garb* for sure, and similarities in naming practices...) to get them thinking about cross-cultural interactions. I try to get folks to think about their persona's geography--including borders, neighbors, travel, language--while building a back story. There should be lots of maps!

                  I like your spin on the theme much better than mine. Let's keep the conversation going for a while and see where we end up.

                  I'm a little worried that the canton is too small to pull this off. (Last year's RUSH did not run smoothly.) Also, the seneschal and I both work in offices where the workload intensifies in early fall as everyone heads back to school--we'd need to have things well in hand by August 1st in order to pull off a Slavic University in October. [And, there's the issue of our Barony hosting a kingdom event in September. Will people get tired of driving to central Iowa?] On the up side, when we discussed not doing a fall event in the canton this year some people expressed interest in trying an A&S-type event again.

                  Decisions, decisions... :-)
                  Susanna

                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings from Sofya!
                  >
                  > On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Suzanne <sovagris@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Would anyone come to a Slavic University in October in Iowa? Would SIG
                  > > members accept some Viking (i.e., neighbors to the Slavs) programming in
                  > > order to attract more of the local populace? Am I crazy? <I *know* the
                  > > answer to that last question!>
                  > >
                  > > Susanna de l'Essart
                  > > Canton of Axed Root
                  > > [mundanely: Ames, Iowa]
                  > >

                  > I would be delighted to have a SIG RUSH in Axed Root (and even help with
                  > it), since I went to college there and only live a couple of hours away.
                  > I've thought of doing it here in Heraldshill (Mason City, IA), but we're too
                  > small of a group.
                  >
                  > However, I don't like the idea of making it a Viking/Slavic event (or
                  > German/Slavic or whatever) although I'm not sure that's what you're really
                  > proposing. Most of the time, we Slavs are the foreigners picking for scraps
                  > of relevant info among the Western Horde. It's nice to have an event where
                  > we're the natives and the Vikings/English/Italians are the foreign visitors.
                  >
                  > Which is not to say that we shouldn't have classes on, say, the implications
                  > of the "Viking" apron dress excavated in Pskov, the Italian influence on
                  > Hungarian court architecture, the ways the Polish dress influenced German
                  > fashions, the assimilation of Viking settlers in the eastern Baltic states,
                  > Orthodox vs. Catholic ritual, etc. Those sorts of classes have always been
                  > welcome - and that may have been all you were suggesting.
                  >
                  > It could be great fun to have a Slavic University based on a theme of
                  > cross-cultural _Slavic_ influences - and help engage the local Vikings,
                  > Germans, English, Italians, what have you.
                  >
                  > Just some thoughts,
                  > Sofya
                  > --

                  > ___
                  > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                  > {o,o}
                  > (__(|
                  > "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
                  > -^-^-`

                • John Kowal
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 6, 2011
                    Greetings!
                    I have only had the opportunity to visit Calontir for the Lillies War, this would be another opportunity to vosot Calontir. For curriculum, I would also suggest that a debate or discussion panel could be organized around the Normanist (ie. viking) influences vs Slavic Influences to add a bit of spice to the event.
                    AVL

                    On 2011-03-06, at 7:43 PM, Suzanne wrote:

> [...]
                    > > Hungarian court architecture, the ways the Polish dress influenced German
                    > > fashions, the assimilation of Viking settlers in the eastern Baltic states,
                    > > Orthodox vs. Catholic ritual, etc. Those sorts of classes have always been
                    > > welcome - and that may have been all you were suggesting.
                    > >
                    > > It could be great fun to have a Slavic University based on a theme of
                    > > cross-cultural _Slavic_ influences - and help engage the local Vikings,
                    > > Germans, English, Italians, what have you.
                    > >
                    > > Just some thoughts,
                    > > Sofya
                    > > --
                    > >
                    > > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Sofya la Rus, OL, CW, CSH, druzhinnitsa Kramolnikova
                    > > Mason City, IA aka Shire of Heraldshill, Calontir
                    > > ___
                    > > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                    > > {o,o}
                    > > "Si no necare, sana." "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"

                  • Magdalena
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 7, 2011
                      Sofya, you put it so well. I like what you said. Just this weekend I was at a local event where a Kossack (sp) lord was also in attendance. He was excited I knew he was Kossack. I was excited to see another Slav! and I sent SIG information his way.

                      We are in the minority.

                      And if the money gods are kind and I'm able to make it to the next Slavic U, I would be willing to do a class on the Pskov find.

                      In Service,
                      Magdalena
                    • Quokkaqueen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 9, 2011
                        <<snip>>
                        >Would SIG members accept some Viking (i.e., neighbors to the Slavs) programming in order to attract more of the local populace? Am I crazy? <I *know* the answer to that last question!>
                        <<snip>>

                        There is a solution, since the SIG isn't *just* Slavic -- we have Finns and Balts hiding out here too! You don't need to jump from Slav to Scandinavian to get your Viking-esque stuff, you can see what the groups *in between* were doing.

                        Say, for example, the Livonians seemed to have adopted Norse tortoise brooches, but also kept their oh-so-stylish bronze spiral encrusted mantles.
                        (Can't find any pictures! Will have to give a text summary: http://www.amberbridge.org/Arkhang/09.pdf
                        Here's a reconstruction photo with the smaller, 'local' brooches: http://www.li.lv/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=1129 You need to right click to view the picture by itself to see all the details,)

                        In the same vein, Finns seem to have occasionally adopted Vendel-period jewellery from Scandinavia, and wore it long after it had gone out of fashion in it's homeland.

                        Heck, look at the other 'Vikings' out there, like the Latgallians and Curonians who also set out on raids around the Baltic sea. There's plenty of Viking-ing to be had without any actual Scandinavians involved!

                        ~Asfridhr
                        (This may be part of a personal mission to encourage more Finno-Ugrian stuff. Shame I'm on the wrong continent and can't come to a SIG event.) :-p
                      • John Staeck
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
                          This is very true.  Material from the North German Plain makes it way into the Great Moravian materials regularly, including recent finds of gaming pieces at Breclav-Pohansko.  There is certainly evidence for contact between many Slavic groups and neighbors who were a little bit of this and a little bit of that in terms of borrowing.  Diffusion for the victory!

                          Pax - Janos

                        • jjbober4@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 10, 2011
                            ...and let us not forget that Mieszko's daughter married Swen Forkbeard and was the mother of Canute the Great. :)

                            Jan