Re: [sig] Fw: Annual Workshop in Medieval & Early Modern Slavic Studies, 2/18 UCLA

  • Paul W Goldschmidt
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2011
      Since this is an academic conference, there is a
      good chance that the presenters prepared papers
      for it. If so, it is possible that you could get
      the presenter of a particular paper to send you a
      copy (just promise not to publish the work and
      ask them how they feel about you citing their
      paper in your own work). If in doubt about how
      to approach a professional historian about a work
      in progress, feel free to drop me (or any other
      academics on this Group) a line and we can discuss protocol.

      The key is that you'll have to contact the
      presenter directly as only they can give you
      permission to use their works. Some academics
      are sensitive about releasing a work-in-progress
      (unless you are a reviewer) because it may
      undergo significant changes based on feedback
      they receive at conferences like this.

      Dr. Paul

    • sorayaevodia
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 19, 2011
        Dear SIG, esp. Paul and Vitasha,

        My apologies for being unable to mine data for you at the UCLA Slavic Workshop. Instead of going as promised, I stayed home in bed, recuperating from my recent appendectomy. I thought I would be able to attend, but I did not go.

        If it's any consolation, I did go last year. They did not provide handouts, and each presentation was minutely focused and unrelated to any of my interests. If any of the topics listed in the announcement was of particular interest to you, the host - UCLA CMRS (Center for Medieval and Rennaisance Studies), might be able to offer contact information for the presenter of that topic.

        BTW, my current areas of interest are the Scythians, Khazars and Polovtsians. If you have any info or sources you would like to share with me, I'd be delighted.

        Here's a new resource I just heard about (from Fionnabhair Kyriath Inghean ui Neill, a research Laurel in Caid.) You can search the information contained in digital repositories on six continents at OpenDOAR (www.opendoar. org <http://www.opendoar .org/>). It's operated by the UK's University of Nottingham, and allows you to search almost 2,000 different digital repositories - including those of Oxford, Cambridge, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Trinity College, Dublin.

        The recent SIG messages re holding Slavic U in An Tir or Caid, (whether in Las Vegas or downtown Caid,) are really exciting, because I could get there. I have never been able to attend SU, and I would love to.

        Best regards always
        from Soraya

        ---------------------------------------

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Amy Tubbs <ivanova.doch@...> wrote:

        > So close (just up the road a piece) and yet so far (I can't take Fridays off)! I'd love copies of any handouts available...electronic are great - if also available.
        > -- Vitasha
        >

        > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Soraya Newell <sarayya@...> wrote:
        >
        > > If anyone has a question they want me to ask of these presenters, or on these topics, please let me know.
      • Rosie
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
          > a research Laurel in Caid.

          Sorry for the hijack, but a RESEARCH laurel? You have research laurels in Caid?

          Nawojka
        • sorayaevodia
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
            We surely do have research Laurels in Caid.

            Soraya

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

            > > a research Laurel in Caid.
            >
            > Sorry for the hijack, but a RESEARCH laurel? You have research laurels in Caid?
            >
            > Nawojka

          • Patricia Hefner
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
              Who are they?
              THL Isabelle de Foix
              Kingdom of Meridies

              blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/

              ________________________________
              We surely do have research Laurels in Caid.

              Soraya

              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

              > > a research Laurel in Caid.
              >
              > Sorry for the hijack, but a RESEARCH laurel? You have research laurels in Caid?
              >

              > Nawojka

            • Leslie Lightfoot
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
                You can find them here:

                http://laurels.sca-caid.org/Active%20Laurels2.htm

                Cecilia

                We surely do have research Laurels in Caid.

                Soraya

                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

                > > a research Laurel in Caid.
                >
                > Sorry for the hijack, but a RESEARCH laurel? You have research laurels in Caid?
                >

                > Nawojka

              • sorayaevodia
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                  Our Research Laurels are Maria Theresa, F. Kyrieth, Felinah, and Tonwen, plus several whose primary art form is deep research in a narrower area (such as Liudmila, Russian Studies; Soraya, Russian and Jewish Studies, Giacomo, Period Combat Research.

                  Soraya

                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Hefner <hefnerpatriciahefnerpatricia@...> wrote:

                  > Who are they?
                  > THL Isabelle de Foix
                  > Kingdom of Meridies
                • Rosie
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                    > We surely do have research Laurels in Caid.
                    >
                    > Soraya

                    > blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/

                    Hmm. Ammunition...

                    Thank you...

                    Nawojka
                  • Adam MacDonald
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 24, 2011
                      Here's a list of those with research listed as a primary or secondary:
                      http://laurels.sca-caid.org/A&Adetail.htm#research

                      Gürcü Iskender, Caid