Re: [sig] Fw: Annual Workshop in Medieval & Early Modern Slavic Studies, 2/18 UCLA

  • Amy Tubbs
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2011
      So close (just up the road a piece) and yet so far (I can't take Fridays
      off)! I'd love copies of any handouts available...electronic are great - if
      also available.
      -- Vitasha

      On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Soraya Newell <sarayya@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Soraya Savelievna
      > (Soraya Evodia)
      >
      > --- On Wed, 2/2/11, Center for Medieval & Renaissance Studies <
      > cmrs@... <cmrs%40humnet.ucla.edu>> wrote:
      >
      > From: Center for Medieval & Renaissance Studies <cmrs@...<cmrs%40humnet.ucla.edu>
      > >
      > Subject: Annual Workshop in Medieval & Early Modern Slavic Studies
      > To: "Center for Medieval & Renaissance Studies" <cmrs@...<cmrs%40humnet.ucla.edu>
      > >
      > Date: Wednesday, February 2, 2011, 10:11 AM
      >
      > FOURTEENTH ANNUAL WINTER WORKSHOP IN
      > MEDIEVAL AND EARLY MODERN SLAVIC STUDIES
      > Friday, February 18, 2011
      > Royce Hall 306
      >
      > Session 1: 9:30 - 10: 45 a.m.
      > Gail Lenhoff, UCLA: Welcoming
      > Remarks
      > Robert Romanchuk, Florida
      > State U.: �Natural Contemplation and Letters in Maximus the Confessor�
      > Julia Verkholantsev, U. Penn:
      > �The Belief in St. Jerome�s Slavic Letters�
      > Heidi Sherman, U. Wisconsin:
      > �Flax and Linen in Medieval Novgorod�
      >
      > 15 min. break
      >
      > Session 2: 11: 00 � 12: 00
      > p.m.
      > David
      > Prestel, Michigan State U.: �The Depiction of Rus� in the Povest�
      > vremennykh
      > let: A New Israel?�
      >
      > Christian Raffensperger, Wittenberg U. �The Unknown Queen of
      > Chernigov�
      >
      > Lunch Break 12:00-1:30
      >
      > Session 3: 1:30 - 2: 45 p.m.
      > Antanina Sergieff, UCLA: �The
      > Life and Cult of St. Evfrosiniia Polotskaia�
      > Gail Lenhoff, UCLA: �The Life
      > and Cult of St. Fedor, Prince of Smolensk and Iaroslavl��
      > Janet Martin, U. Miami:
      > �Smolensk and its Princes in the mid-13th Century �
      >
      > 15 min. break
      >
      > Session 4: 3:00 - 4:15 p.m.
      > Ann Kleimola, U. Nebraska:
      > �Puzzles of Kozheozero�
      > Nancy Kollmann, Stanford:
      > �Capital Punishment�
      >
      > Elise K. Wirtschafter, California State Polytechnic U., Pomona:
      > �Theodicy, Providence, and Father Platon's Celebration of Tsarevich
      > Dimitrii�
      >
      > Sponsored by the UCLA Center for Medieval and Renaissance
      > Studies and the UCLA Department of Slavic Languages and
      > Literatures.
      >
      > Advance registration not required. Please sign
      > the attendance sheet at the door. No fee.
      > Seating is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. For
      > information, email cmrs@... <cmrs%40humnet.ucla.edu> or call
      > 310.825.1880.
      >

      > *
      > * * * * * * * * * * *
      >

      > Note: You have
      > received this announcement because you are affiliated with the
      >
      > UCLA
      > Center for Medieval and Renaissance
      > Studies (faculty member, associate/affiliate, staff, or council), or
      > because you
      > requested to be on our email announcement list. If you wish to be removed

    • Paul W Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2011
        Since this is an academic conference, there is a
        good chance that the presenters prepared papers
        for it. If so, it is possible that you could get
        the presenter of a particular paper to send you a
        copy (just promise not to publish the work and
        ask them how they feel about you citing their
        paper in your own work). If in doubt about how
        to approach a professional historian about a work
        in progress, feel free to drop me (or any other
        academics on this Group) a line and we can discuss protocol.

        The key is that you'll have to contact the
        presenter directly as only they can give you
        permission to use their works. Some academics
        are sensitive about releasing a work-in-progress
        (unless you are a reviewer) because it may
        undergo significant changes based on feedback
        they receive at conferences like this.

        Dr. Paul

      • sorayaevodia
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 19, 2011
          Dear SIG, esp. Paul and Vitasha,

          My apologies for being unable to mine data for you at the UCLA Slavic Workshop. Instead of going as promised, I stayed home in bed, recuperating from my recent appendectomy. I thought I would be able to attend, but I did not go.

          If it's any consolation, I did go last year. They did not provide handouts, and each presentation was minutely focused and unrelated to any of my interests. If any of the topics listed in the announcement was of particular interest to you, the host - UCLA CMRS (Center for Medieval and Rennaisance Studies), might be able to offer contact information for the presenter of that topic.

          BTW, my current areas of interest are the Scythians, Khazars and Polovtsians. If you have any info or sources you would like to share with me, I'd be delighted.

          Here's a new resource I just heard about (from Fionnabhair Kyriath Inghean ui Neill, a research Laurel in Caid.) You can search the information contained in digital repositories on six continents at OpenDOAR (www.opendoar. org <http://www.opendoar .org/>). It's operated by the UK's University of Nottingham, and allows you to search almost 2,000 different digital repositories - including those of Oxford, Cambridge, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Trinity College, Dublin.

          The recent SIG messages re holding Slavic U in An Tir or Caid, (whether in Las Vegas or downtown Caid,) are really exciting, because I could get there. I have never been able to attend SU, and I would love to.

          Best regards always
          from Soraya

          ---------------------------------------

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Amy Tubbs <ivanova.doch@...> wrote:

          > So close (just up the road a piece) and yet so far (I can't take Fridays off)! I'd love copies of any handouts available...electronic are great - if also available.
          > -- Vitasha
          >

          > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Soraya Newell <sarayya@...> wrote:
          >
          > > If anyone has a question they want me to ask of these presenters, or on these topics, please let me know.
        • Rosie
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
            > a research Laurel in Caid.

            Sorry for the hijack, but a RESEARCH laurel? You have research laurels in Caid?

            Nawojka
          • sorayaevodia
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
              We surely do have research Laurels in Caid.

              Soraya

              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

              > > a research Laurel in Caid.
              >
              > Sorry for the hijack, but a RESEARCH laurel? You have research laurels in Caid?
              >
              > Nawojka

            • Patricia Hefner
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
                Who are they?
                THL Isabelle de Foix
                Kingdom of Meridies

                blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/

                ________________________________
                We surely do have research Laurels in Caid.

                Soraya

                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

                > > a research Laurel in Caid.
                >
                > Sorry for the hijack, but a RESEARCH laurel? You have research laurels in Caid?
                >

                > Nawojka

              • Leslie Lightfoot
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
                  You can find them here:

                  http://laurels.sca-caid.org/Active%20Laurels2.htm

                  Cecilia

                  We surely do have research Laurels in Caid.

                  Soraya

                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

                  > > a research Laurel in Caid.
                  >
                  > Sorry for the hijack, but a RESEARCH laurel? You have research laurels in Caid?
                  >

                  > Nawojka

                • sorayaevodia
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                    Our Research Laurels are Maria Theresa, F. Kyrieth, Felinah, and Tonwen, plus several whose primary art form is deep research in a narrower area (such as Liudmila, Russian Studies; Soraya, Russian and Jewish Studies, Giacomo, Period Combat Research.

                    Soraya

                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Hefner <hefnerpatriciahefnerpatricia@...> wrote:

                    > Who are they?
                    > THL Isabelle de Foix
                    > Kingdom of Meridies
                  • Rosie
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                      > We surely do have research Laurels in Caid.
                      >
                      > Soraya

                      > blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/

                      Hmm. Ammunition...

                      Thank you...

                      Nawojka
                    • Adam MacDonald
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 24, 2011
                        Here's a list of those with research listed as a primary or secondary:
                        http://laurels.sca-caid.org/A&Adetail.htm#research

                        Gürcü Iskender, Caid