Fw: Annual Workshop in Medieval & Early Modern Slavic Studies, 2/18 UCLA

  • Soraya Newell
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2011
      If anyone has a question they want me to ask of these presenters, or on these topics, please let me know.

      Soraya Savelievna
      (Soraya Evodia)

      Friday, February 18, 2011
      Royce Hall 306

      Session 1: 9:30 - 10: 45 a.m.
          Gail Lenhoff, UCLA: Welcoming
      Remarks
          Robert Romanchuk, Florida
      State U.: “Natural Contemplation and Letters in Maximus the Confessor”
          Julia Verkholantsev, U. Penn:
      “The Belief in St. Jerome’s Slavic Letters”
          Heidi Sherman, U. Wisconsin:
      “Flax and Linen in Medieval Novgorod”

      15 min. break

      Session 2: 11: 00  – 12: 00
      p.m.
          David
      Prestel, Michigan State U.: “The Depiction of Rus’ in the Povest’ vremennykh
      let:  A New Israel?”

      Christian Raffensperger, Wittenberg U. “The Unknown Queen of
      Chernigov”

      Lunch Break 12:00-1:30

      Session 3: 1:30 - 2: 45 p.m.
          Antanina Sergieff, UCLA: “The
      Life and Cult of St. Evfrosiniia Polotskaia”
          Gail Lenhoff, UCLA: “The Life
      and Cult of St. Fedor, Prince of Smolensk and Iaroslavl’”
          Janet Martin, U. Miami:
      “Smolensk and its Princes in the mid-13th Century ”

      15 min. break

      Session 4:  3:00 - 4:15 p.m.
          Ann Kleimola, U. Nebraska:
      “Puzzles of Kozheozero”
          Nancy Kollmann, Stanford:
      “Capital Punishment”

      Elise K. Wirtschafter, California State Polytechnic U., Pomona:
      “Theodicy, Providence, and Father Platon's Celebration of Tsarevich
      Dimitrii”

      Sponsored by the UCLA Center for Medieval and Renaissance
      Studies and the UCLA Department of Slavic Languages and
      Literatures.

      Advance registration not required. Please sign
      the attendance sheet at the door. No fee.
      Seating is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. For information, email cmrs@... or call
      310.825.1880.

      *
      * * * * * * * * * * *

      Note: You have
      received this announcement because you are affiliated with the

      UCLA
      Center for Medieval and Renaissance
      Studies (faculty member, associate/affiliate, staff, or council), or because you
      requested to be on our email announcement list.  If you wish to be removed
      from the list, please contact us at cmrs@....

    • Amy Tubbs
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2011
        So close (just up the road a piece) and yet so far (I can't take Fridays
        off)! I'd love copies of any handouts available...electronic are great - if
        also available.
        -- Vitasha

        On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Soraya Newell <sarayya@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Dimitrii�
        >
        > Sponsored by the UCLA Center for Medieval and Renaissance
        > Studies and the UCLA Department of Slavic Languages and
        > Literatures.
        >
        > Advance registration not required. Please sign
        > the attendance sheet at the door. No fee.
        > Seating is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. For
        > information, email cmrs@... <cmrs%40humnet.ucla.edu> or call
        > 310.825.1880.
        >

        > *
        > * * * * * * * * * * *
        >

        > Note: You have
        > received this announcement because you are affiliated with the
        >
        > UCLA
        > Center for Medieval and Renaissance
        > Studies (faculty member, associate/affiliate, staff, or council), or
        > because you
        > requested to be on our email announcement list. If you wish to be removed

      • Paul W Goldschmidt
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2011
          Since this is an academic conference, there is a
          good chance that the presenters prepared papers
          for it. If so, it is possible that you could get
          the presenter of a particular paper to send you a
          copy (just promise not to publish the work and
          ask them how they feel about you citing their
          paper in your own work). If in doubt about how
          to approach a professional historian about a work
          in progress, feel free to drop me (or any other
          academics on this Group) a line and we can discuss protocol.

          The key is that you'll have to contact the
          presenter directly as only they can give you
          permission to use their works. Some academics
          are sensitive about releasing a work-in-progress
          (unless you are a reviewer) because it may
          undergo significant changes based on feedback
          they receive at conferences like this.

          Dr. Paul

        • sorayaevodia
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 19, 2011
            Dear SIG, esp. Paul and Vitasha,

            My apologies for being unable to mine data for you at the UCLA Slavic Workshop. Instead of going as promised, I stayed home in bed, recuperating from my recent appendectomy. I thought I would be able to attend, but I did not go.

            If it's any consolation, I did go last year. They did not provide handouts, and each presentation was minutely focused and unrelated to any of my interests. If any of the topics listed in the announcement was of particular interest to you, the host - UCLA CMRS (Center for Medieval and Rennaisance Studies), might be able to offer contact information for the presenter of that topic.

            BTW, my current areas of interest are the Scythians, Khazars and Polovtsians. If you have any info or sources you would like to share with me, I'd be delighted.

            Here's a new resource I just heard about (from Fionnabhair Kyriath Inghean ui Neill, a research Laurel in Caid.) You can search the information contained in digital repositories on six continents at OpenDOAR (www.opendoar. org <http://www.opendoar .org/>). It's operated by the UK's University of Nottingham, and allows you to search almost 2,000 different digital repositories - including those of Oxford, Cambridge, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Trinity College, Dublin.

            The recent SIG messages re holding Slavic U in An Tir or Caid, (whether in Las Vegas or downtown Caid,) are really exciting, because I could get there. I have never been able to attend SU, and I would love to.

            Best regards always
            from Soraya

            ---------------------------------------

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Amy Tubbs <ivanova.doch@...> wrote:

            > So close (just up the road a piece) and yet so far (I can't take Fridays off)! I'd love copies of any handouts available...electronic are great - if also available.
            > -- Vitasha
            >

            > On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Soraya Newell <sarayya@...> wrote:
            >
            > > If anyone has a question they want me to ask of these presenters, or on these topics, please let me know.
          • Rosie
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
              > a research Laurel in Caid.

              Sorry for the hijack, but a RESEARCH laurel? You have research laurels in Caid?

              Nawojka
            • sorayaevodia
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
                We surely do have research Laurels in Caid.

                Soraya

                --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

                > > a research Laurel in Caid.
                >
                > Sorry for the hijack, but a RESEARCH laurel? You have research laurels in Caid?
                >
                > Nawojka

              • Patricia Hefner
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
                  Who are they?
                  THL Isabelle de Foix
                  Kingdom of Meridies

                  blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/

                  ________________________________
                  We surely do have research Laurels in Caid.

                  Soraya

                  --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

                  > > a research Laurel in Caid.
                  >
                  > Sorry for the hijack, but a RESEARCH laurel? You have research laurels in Caid?
                  >

                  > Nawojka

                • Leslie Lightfoot
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 20, 2011
                    You can find them here:

                    http://laurels.sca-caid.org/Active%20Laurels2.htm

                    Cecilia

                    We surely do have research Laurels in Caid.

                    Soraya

                    --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Rosie" <Rosie_0801@...> wrote:

                    > > a research Laurel in Caid.
                    >
                    > Sorry for the hijack, but a RESEARCH laurel? You have research laurels in Caid?
                    >

                    > Nawojka

                  • sorayaevodia
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                      Our Research Laurels are Maria Theresa, F. Kyrieth, Felinah, and Tonwen, plus several whose primary art form is deep research in a narrower area (such as Liudmila, Russian Studies; Soraya, Russian and Jewish Studies, Giacomo, Period Combat Research.

                      Soraya

                      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Hefner <hefnerpatriciahefnerpatricia@...> wrote:

                      > Who are they?
                      > THL Isabelle de Foix
                      > Kingdom of Meridies
                    • Rosie
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 21, 2011
                        > We surely do have research Laurels in Caid.
                        >
                        > Soraya

                        > blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/

                        Hmm. Ammunition...

                        Thank you...

                        Nawojka
                      • Adam MacDonald
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 24, 2011
                          Here's a list of those with research listed as a primary or secondary:
                          http://laurels.sca-caid.org/A&Adetail.htm#research

                          Gürcü Iskender, Caid