Re: [sig] Re: Slavic U

  • Amy Tubbs
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 1, 2011
      Do you have a range of numbers to define "small-ish"? A "small-ish" event
      here in southern California is probably between 50 and 100 people. I only
      ask because of the size requirements for a site.
      -- Vitasha

      On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...>wrote:

      > Certainly! These are great questions!
      >
      > I'm sure that the former Slavic U autocrats can
      > pipe in with the details, but the event tends to
      > be small-ish and certainly within the bounds of a
      > shire or barony. This is no Kingdom and Known
      > World event. Most of the attendees will be
      > locals. There are a few folks in the jet set
      > (like myself) who will fly in from out of
      > Kingdom, but it won't be a significant part of the attenders.
      >
      > The event can be (and has been) held at different times of year.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Paul Wickenden
      >

      > At 11:03 AM 1/29/2011, you wrote:
      > >

      > >I'm afraid this post will once again expose my
      > >ignorance (like that isn't a common occurrence
      > >whenever I poke my head out of my hole) but with
      > >Slavic U, what are the requirements for hosting?
      > >Is it big enough to demand full kingdom backing
      > >or is a barony enough for the job? How many
      > >attendees show up on average? Does it have to be
      > >in winter? Would fall or spring work as well? Do
      > >instructors tend to come solely from this group
      > >or do folks from the local area tend to suddenly
      > >pop up and state they'd like to do a class on
      > >Polish Calligraphy and Illumination?
      > >
      > >I've never been to a Slavic U because of money,
      > >location and timing, so I really have no basis
      > >for understanding what the expectations and
      > >requirements are, but it would help to have them
      > >so that a potential autocrat could sell the idea to the funding group.
      > >
      > >Raisa Zaplatskaya
      > >"Patches"
      > >
      > >--- In
      > ><mailto:sig%40yahoogroups.com <sig%2540yahoogroups.com>>
      > sig@yahoogroups.com <sig%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > >"goldschp tds.net" <goldschp@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm looking for volunteers. :)
      > > >
      > > > As far as I'm concerned, ANY location will work. We just need a group
      > that
      > > > is willing to sponsor the event.
      > > >

      > > > -- Paul

      > > airports within 2 hours of each
      > for

    • panimarijah
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 26, 2013
        Hi, I am also in Aethelmearc and autocrated the last SU that was held in Aethelmearc. I'll definitely be happy to teach classes for you and help in any other way I can. We worked out of two cookbooks primarily & some old family recipes; ( and no I'm not really a feastocrat). I know I've got a really good venison recipe stashed away from the event.
        The books I have are "The best of Polish Cookery" by Karen West and "Polish Cookery" by Ochorowicz and Monatowa. Let me know what kind of help you need. I also would be happy to make some spiff slavic themed ceramic site tokens if you are interested.

        As far as teaching I have taught a Kievan Daily Life class that is usually well received. And can also do a who lived where when class that covers tribes and tribal movements. And Kievan Illumination. Or I would be open to putting together a class on Novgorod and Slavic Pottery which is a subject I have been studying a lot lately.

        Marija Kotok
      • Zsigmond Szekely
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 3, 2013
          Where is the slavic u going to be