Re: Christmas

  • MHoll@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2000
      In a message dated 1/7/2000 3:10:59 PM Central Standard Time,
      editor@... writes:

      > we begin it with St. Nicholas' Day, Dec. 6, which
      > I have heard is big in Russia? or at least the saint himself is?

      The saint himself. Although when there still was a real Christmas season, it
      started at or around St Nicholas' Day, and continued until the Epiphany
      (Three Kings -- Jan. 6, or 19 by the old calendar). It was a weir season with
      lots of really weird games, and also fortunetelling and parties. My mother
      remembers some of it, the tamer aspects -- koliadovanie
      [koh-liah-doh-VAH-nee-yeh] (which was a hybrid of trick or treat and
      caroling; koliady [koh-LIA-dyh] are basically carols), and re-caroling, of a
      sorts, at New-Year's, when boys go around blessing the homes for a good
      harvest.

      But some of the 19th century ethnographical accounts describe crude and
      almost violent games with fairly vivid images (and symbolic play) of
      fertility and death/resurrection. OOP of course, but in combination with some
      cryptic notes in period texts about "heathen rites", it opens wide avenues of
      conjecture and imaginings.

      No, still not enough, by any means, to reconstruct a period pagan rite.

      Predslava
    • Butler309@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2000
        In a message dated 1/7/00 3:11:07 PM Central Standard Time, editor@...
        writes:

        > They won't stop unless someone chalks their
        > initials onto the porch or jamb, so they'll know a child lives there.

        The 3 Kings' initials?? Or the kids' initials??

        - Steve Butler/Leszek
      • Amanda Lewanski
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2000
          The kings' intials, of course. K, M, B (Kaspar, Melchior, & Balthasar). Somewhat
          recognizable for those letters when done by my 4-year-old (good enough for the
          kings, who left her a Sesame Street computer game, a Chevron truck for her
          brother, and an air pogo swing for everyone).

          --Alisandre

          Butler309@... wrote:

          > The 3 Kings' initials?? Or the kids' initials??
          >
          > - Steve Butler/Leszek

          > Slavic Interest Group homepage:
          > http://www.uwplatt.edu/~goldschp/slavic.html
        • petzserg
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2000
            For Old Russians, St Nicolas is the patron saint of hopeless causes. The
            Miracle Worker. The church gives him two holidays, one at the begining of
            December, the other some time in August (I believe). Also, used as the
            patron saint of students. Cover all those areas, and I guess you'd have to
            be pretty important. SVYA-TEE'TELLYU HREE-STO'V NEE-CO'LAH-YE, MOLEE'
            BO'HAH O NAH'S (Holy Bishop of Christ Nicholas, pray to God for us)