Re: [sig] Re: Braiding technique

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 24, 2011
      >There is "braiding" used to trim the seams of rubakhas, and possibly
      >svitas also, but I have yet to determine exactly what technique is
      > used there.
      > It is tempting to think it could be finger-loop braiding,
      > although it would be a challenge to use
      > that technique to make the long
      > braids desirable for such a purpose.
      >
      > At your service,
      > Sofya

      Sofya, I've been thinking about this for the last few days. Is it possible that these braids are just narrow tightly card-woven trims? I'm thinking about it as both decorative AND a reinforcement of the seam finishing, AND a tight but narrow trim on those seems would also improve the hang/line of the rubakha, giving more of that static bell shape so prevalent in Russian fashion of the period. Because there are very few curved seams, you don't need something with the flexibility of fingerloop, and those images from Rabinovich do seem to imply (accurate to the extant garment or not) a flat trim. In addition, this line "Closely to seams was sewn in decorative crimson-gold braid, plaited of 10 threads, - four crimson and six gold, with alternation of 2:2" sounds to me like we're talking about a 2/2 twill weave, which can be achieved on cards. And 10 threads is not a very wide trim.

      In fact... now that I think about it, the friendship bracelets I learned to make in grade school appear to be a 2/2 twill..... and I have a small loom I'm not doing anything with right now.... hm, yet another project!

      Just thinkin',
      Sfandra

      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom