Re: [sig] 13th century slavic warrior images

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10 1:46 AM
      Greetings!

      What country precisely? It all depends on the region. Lietuva, Novgorod, Poland, Galitsia Duchy were more or less up to the Western & Central European trend, while other duchies of the Kievan realm took after the nomads.
      Try to Google the pics by Oleg Fyodorov (btw, once I uploaded on the SIG Yahoo page the scans of Rus-Steppe special issue of Rodina magazine with some of his works) or Mikhail Gorelik.

      just two links on your issue. Hope you read Russian, otherwise babelfish it. :-)
      http://swordmaster.org/2009/12/11/ol-makushnikov-yum-lupinenko-lamellyarnyj-dospex.html#comment (a Gomel man-at-arms)

      http://swordmaster.org/2008/10/19/ot_10_k_13_veku.html#comment
      (the required period men-at-arms are 2 and 7 from the bottom. 2 is the re-construction by the leader of the St. Petersburg re-constructors, forgot his name; 7 is the Kievan Boyar picture by Gorelik for the book on the Kalka battle. BTW, the top 3 are pics by Fyodorov, just for you to see his style of drawing)

      Hope that helps.
      Bye,
      Alex.

      Mon, 10 Jan 2011 00:08:30 -0000 ������ �� "bill0303" <b2ndseat@...>:

      Does anyone have access to a historically accurate image of a 13th century Slavic warrior? I am in the SCA and I am trying to put an accurate armor kit together. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

      Wojciech
      Mka Bill Anderson

    • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10 6:40 AM
        I believe all of those pictures appear in various Osprey publications.
        They are usually inexpensive to purchase with nice short information
        on the archeological items but do realize that the artistic renderings
        are artistic renderings some more accurate than others. They are a
        good first pass and give us an idea of what to look for and those
        books are great for helping new folks pick a style they would like to
        emulate.

        Ianuk

        On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:46 AM, Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
        <Posadnik@...> wrote:

        > Greetings!
        >
        > What country precisely? It all depends on the region. Lietuva, Novgorod, Poland, Galitsia Duchy were more or less up to the Western & Central European trend, while other duchies of the Kievan realm took after the nomads.
        > Try to Google the pics by Oleg Fyodorov (btw, once I uploaded on the  SIG Yahoo page the scans of Rus-Steppe special issue of Rodina magazine with some of his works) or Mikhail Gorelik.
        >
        > just two links on your issue. Hope you read Russian, otherwise babelfish it. :-)
        > http://swordmaster.org/2009/12/11/ol-makushnikov-yum-lupinenko-lamellyarnyj-dospex.html#comment  (a Gomel man-at-arms)
        >
        > http://swordmaster.org/2008/10/19/ot_10_k_13_veku.html#comment
        > (the required period men-at-arms are 2 and 7 from the bottom. 2 is the re-construction by the leader of the St. Petersburg re-constructors, forgot his name; 7 is the Kievan Boyar picture by Gorelik for the book on the Kalka battle. BTW, the top 3 are pics by Fyodorov, just for you to see his style of drawing)
        >
        > Hope that helps.
        > Bye,
        > Alex.
        >

        > Mon, 10 Jan 2011 00:08:30 -0000 письмо от "bill0303" <b2ndseat@...>:
        >

        > Does anyone have access to a historically accurate image of a 13th century Slavic warrior? I am in the SCA and I am trying to put an accurate armor kit together. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Wojciech
        > Mka Bill Anderson

      • Bill Anderson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10 9:36 AM
          Thank you for the quick response, I am looking mainly for the Polish region,
          but Belarus would be fine also.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10 11:06 AM
            Of course the tricky thing here is *where* in Poland. What they're wearing Silesia at the time would not be the same as what they're wearing in Mazovia.

            Jan

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 10 5:54 PM
              I am open for both styles

              _____

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10 5:57 PM
                The new Varangian book is excellent source or Lake Peipus 1242 by David
                Nicolle another excellent source.

              • Owen Smith
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10 6:31 PM
                  Could you be a bit more specific about the "new Varangian book" please?
                  There are a number of books on Amazon which are fairly recent and seem to
                  be about the Varangians. If there's one in particular which you consider to
                  be excellent I'd love to know the full title/author so I can consider an
                  aquisition.

                  Appreciatively,
                  Svoi
                  MKA Owen Smith