SOS Need help finding pattern for hat

  • Kat
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
      I put my foot in my mouth and said I would make a hat for a friend.

      Now I can't find a pattern for the bloody thing.

      I have been told it is a "Russian / Cossak" style hat.

      It looks as follows:
      The top is a circular piece of wool
      The sides are straight approx 2 - 3x the length from top to bottom of earlobe. The sides are then either folded or rolled up to approx the middle of the ear.
      There appear to be pin-tucks (in sets of 3 tucks) down the sides (from top to bottom)

      Can anyone give me a pic of this? or a page with better instructions?

      If I have a good up close pic (on a person's head) I can figure out the pattern.

      Thanks
      Katheryne the spinner
    • Adam MacDonald
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2011
        That sounds like a perfect description of the **modern** Afghani pakol hat -
        often referred to as the 'Mujahedeen hat'

        http://www.afgclassics.com/accessories/pakols/afghan-pakol-hat.html

        The mention of the pintucks in sets of three was the thing that really
        caught my eye...

        Gürcü Iskender (Sasha)
        Caid
        >I put my foot in my mouth and said I would make a hat for a friend.
        >
        > Now I can't find a pattern for the bloody thing.
        >
        > I have been told it is a "Russian / Cossak" style hat.
        >
        > It looks as follows:
        > The top is a circular piece of wool
        > The sides are straight approx 2 - 3x the length from top to bottom of
        > earlobe. The sides are then either folded or rolled up to approx the
        > middle of the ear.
        > There appear to be pin-tucks (in sets of 3 tucks) down the sides (from top
        > to bottom)
        >
        > Can anyone give me a pic of this? or a page with better instructions?
        >
        > If I have a good up close pic (on a person's head) I can figure out the
        > pattern.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Katheryne the spinner

      • Purple Kat
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2011
          This is very close - but the one I am looking for would look like this hat
          turned inside out..

          Instead of a 'Flat Cap' look, it is more of a 'pill box' hat style.

          Katheryne