Russian supported spindles?

  • Hastings Sanderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2010
      Greetings to the list,

      I have the opportunity to take a class next month on Russian supported
      spinning in the Orenburg style (I'm also taking a class on Orneburg style
      shawl knitting :) ) While I know the shawls are out of period, I was
      wondering if anyone had done any digging on Russian spinning techniques?
      Most everything I've run across are references to linen spinning, including
      loads of images of distaffs. I'm looking for information of wool and goat
      hair primarily. I'd also be interested if anyone has any info on Russian
      paddle style carding combs and whether they are very modern or are an older
      type. I know some carding combs had to be in use in the area-- after all
      William of Rubrick mentions St. Blaise and his death by iron carding comb.

      YIS,
      Praksedys