Re: [sig] Going to Gulf Wars

  • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 6, 2010
      I was there last year and agree it was a bit chilly and it did rain the last
      night and finally snowed on us as we packed up on the day we left. First
      day of spring my butt!

      The one thing I did love about it was that its really easy to get around and
      the distances between things are not on the pennsic scale. The battlefield
      was lush and green, there is shade in quite a few places. The A&S area is
      lovely and lots of nice merchants etc. If we were expecting a kid the same
      time as gulf Wars I'd probably be making the trek again.

      I did find the classes well attended which was nice for a first time teacher
      at the event. Plus there were many varied classes as well to take which was
      also nice.

      Ianuk

    • jpkowal@mymts.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 22, 2010
        Temperatures at Gulf Wars I have been told can vary greatly, between warm and cold (to the point of frost/snow) and precipitation as well. So best to be prepared with a layered approach to clothing, and have footwear that could tolerate cold/wet conditions. Other than that enjoy. I am looking at trying to get down there for the first time myself.
        regards,
        AVL

        To: sig@yahoogroups.com
        From: seonaid13@...
        Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 12:04:43 -0800
        Subject: [sig] Going to Gulf Wars

        So, it looks like my 2011 plans include my first ever trip to Gulf Wars. I believe I'll be hotel-ing it.

        Does anyone have any tips? Vital information? Suggestions as to must-not-miss events?

        Cheers,

        Sfandra

        ******************

        Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

        KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom

        http://sfandra.webs.com

        ******************

        Never 'pearl' your butt.

        "Ja mogu sdelat' to."

      • christopher chastain
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 22, 2010
          The 3 times ive been to gulf it has started out with ice on the ground and flurries in the air and ending in the upper 80's to monsoon type of rains. It will start out cold and end warm, best bet is to bring the entire range of garb. Mud will be everywhere if it rains. Also expect wildlife, nothing big and dangerous unless you count racoons stealing your food dangerous. You will get to know the insects on a first name basis but wont be swarming yet. Just remember it is Mississippi and the weather at that time is in flux

          Yours in Humble Service,
          Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

          Your sword is an extension of who you are, if you are lazy it will be lazy, if you are arrogant it will be arrogant. Teach yourself to be wise, honorable and strong and your sword will learn with you.

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 22, 2010
            Given I'll be obliged to fly and stay in a hotel rather than on site, I can give the racoons a miss. ;) And I've been warned that the mosquitos down there can carry off domestic pets and small children. Fortunately, up here, we have Deer Flys and ticks, so I've had practice applying highly toxic levels of Deet. ;)

            Really, I'm looking forward to it. And OMG Coursing! I suspect I'll spend much of my time in Kennel Lands as I'm a complete nut for sighthound breeds.

            --Sfandra

            ******************

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 24, 2010
              I'm bringing my mini-me vardo, from Ohio! Brrrrrr at night......I live in wool
              and my Russian pimpdaddy coat!

              Best Regards,
              'dok

              ________________________________
              Given I'll be obliged to fly and stay in a hotel rather than on site, I can give
              the racoons a miss. ;) And I've been warned that the mosquitos down there can
              carry off domestic pets and small children. Fortunately, up here, we have Deer
              Flys and ticks, so I've had practice applying highly toxic levels of Deet. ;)

              Really, I'm looking forward to it. And OMG Coursing! I suspect I'll spend much
              of my time in Kennel Lands as I'm a complete nut for sighthound breeds.

              --Sfandra

              ******************
              Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
              KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom
              http://sfandra.webs.com
              ******************
              Never 'pearl' your butt.
              "Ja mogu sdelat' to."
              ******************

              > The 3 times ive been to gulf it has started out with ice on
              > the ground and flurries in the air and ending in the upper
              > 80's to monsoon type of rains. It will start out cold and
              > end warm, best bet is to bring the entire range of garb. Mud
              > will be everywhere if it rains. Also expect wildlife,
              > nothing big and dangerous unless you count racoons stealing
              > your food dangerous. You will get to know the insects on a
              > first name basis but wont be swarming yet. Just remember it
              > is Mississippi and the weather at that time is in flux

            • Lisa Kies
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 8, 2011
                Okay, I'm going to request space for a meeting at Gulf Wars.

                I'm thinking afternoon, but I'm not sure if we should meet earlier in the
                week so we "break the ice" for the rest of the war, or if we should meet
                later in the week so more people can be there.

                Is everyone planning to be there for the whole week? Or are any of those
                planning to be there not able to come until later in the week?

                And does anyone want to "co-sponsor" it with me?

                Sofya

                ___
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 9, 2011
                  I have a sad.

                  It appears that I cannot attend Gulf Wars after all. Questionable employment, and possible home purchase means I don't have the nearly 2K it would cost me to fly, rent a car, and stay at a hotel, and I'm not able to drive it either.

                  Unless something changes in the next month, I now cannot attend. I'm very very bummed about this, because I was very very excited to go.

                  Sadly,
                  Sfandra

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 10, 2011
                    Oh, sorry Sfandra. Gulf is a wonderfully fun event. I had a blast last year
                    but this year is out of the cards since its around Baronial Investiture (I
                    have SCA Grandkids!) and well, our due date for our first child. I would
                    have loved to have seen everyone again. Sighs.

                    Everyone going, keep us posted and take good pictures!

                    Ianuk