Researching beadwork of the Carpathian mountains

  • slarson@insight.rr.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2010
      I am interested in learning about the history of Gerdany, sylyanky, drabynky etc. I have instructions on how to make them, but can't find much information about the time period when these types of beadwork originated. Could anyone tell me what century these began to appear? Any help is appreciated!

      Sandra in OH
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2010
        So, it looks like my 2011 plans include my first ever trip to Gulf Wars. I believe I'll be hotel-ing it.

        Does anyone have any tips? Vital information? Suggestions as to must-not-miss events?

        Cheers,
        Sfandra

        ******************
        Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
        KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom
        http://sfandra.webs.com
        ******************
        Never 'pearl' your butt.
        "Ja mogu sdelat' to."
        ******************
      • Shannon Anderson
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2010
          Oooh, I went last year and it was so fun!

          One thing I WAS prepared for was rain, since I heard that it was a pretty wet event. It did not rain but it DID get FREEZING cold at night. And not like pennsic-cold, like freezing winter cold! I wasn't ready for that. So prepare for both rain and cold!
          If you aren't sleeping outside that will totally save you from the worst of it, but if you're planning on hanging out late for parties and whatnot...

          The food on site is somewhat limited (Phil's Grill though!) so be sure to bring any snacks/meals that you know you'll want for sure.

          I wish I could go again! Maybe 2012...

          Margarita

        • Luscious Garb
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 3, 2010
            Do they still perform the SCA Picture Show? Think Rocky Horror Picture Show,
            but instead of aliens it's SCAdians at a Crown Tourney. It's so funny!

            Cat

            On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Shannon Anderson <kitonlove@...>wrote:

            > Oooh, I went last year and it was so fun!
            >
            > One thing I WAS prepared for was rain, since I heard that it was a pretty
            > wet event. It did not rain but it DID get FREEZING cold at night. And not
            > like pennsic-cold, like freezing winter cold! I wasn't ready for that. So
            > prepare for both rain and cold!
            > If you aren't sleeping outside that will totally save you from the worst of
            > it, but if you're planning on hanging out late for parties and whatnot...
            >
            > The food on site is somewhat limited (Phil's Grill though!) so be sure to
            > bring any snacks/meals that you know you'll want for sure.
            >
            > I wish I could go again! Maybe 2012...
            >
            > Margarita

          • Lisa Kies
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2010
              Greetings from Sofya!

              On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote:

              > So, it looks like my 2011 plans include my first ever trip to Gulf Wars.

              Oh, fantastic! We were just going over the schedule for next year at the
              office and so many of us wanted to take time off for spring break that we've
              decided to close for the week, so I'm going to.

              > Does anyone have any tips? Vital information? Suggestions as to
              > must-not-miss events?

              One of my favorite parts of Gulf Wars is the equestrian procession into
              opening court.

              So who else is going? Will there be enough of us to have a gathering?

              Sofya

              (who might get organized soon enough to get classes on the schedule for
              once)

              ___
              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
              {o,o}
              (__(|
              "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
              -^-^-`
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 5, 2010
                I'm going too! Let's do it!
                Mordoch

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 5, 2010
                  Let me know about any gathering plans (or plans
                  to try to do a gathering) so I can publicize it in Slovo.

                  Thanks,
                  Paul

                  At 08:58 AM 12/5/2010, you wrote:

                  >I'm going too! Let's do it!
                  >Mordoch
                  >
                  >On Sat Dec 4th, 2010 6:03 PM EST Lisa Kies wrote:
                  >
                  > >Greetings from Sofya!
                  > >
                  > >On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Sfandra
                  > <<mailto:seonaid13%40yahoo.com>seonaid13@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > >> So, it looks like my 2011 plans include my first ever trip to Gulf Wars.
                  > >>
                  > > Oh, fantastic! We were just going over the schedule for next year at the
                  > >office and so many of us wanted to take time off for spring break that we've
                  > >decided to close for the week, so I'm going to.
                  > >

                  > >> Does anyone have any tips? Vital information? Suggestions as to
                  > >> must-not-miss events?
                  > >>
                  > > One of my favorite parts of Gulf Wars is the equestrian procession into
                  > >opening court.
                  > >
                  > > So who else is going? Will there be enough of us to have a gathering?
                  > >
                  > >Sofya
                  > >
                  > >(who might get organized soon enough to get classes on the schedule for
                  > >once)

                  > >Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Sofya la Rus, OL, CW, CSH, druzhinnitsa Kramolnikova
                  > >Mason City, IA aka Shire of Heraldshill, Calontir
                  > > ___
                  > ><http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser>http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                  > > {o,o}
                  > >"Si no necare, sana." "Mir znachit Pax Romanov"
                  > > (__(|
                  > >"Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
                  > > -^-^-`

                • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 6, 2010
                    I was there last year and agree it was a bit chilly and it did rain the last
                    night and finally snowed on us as we packed up on the day we left. First
                    day of spring my butt!

                    The one thing I did love about it was that its really easy to get around and
                    the distances between things are not on the pennsic scale. The battlefield
                    was lush and green, there is shade in quite a few places. The A&S area is
                    lovely and lots of nice merchants etc. If we were expecting a kid the same
                    time as gulf Wars I'd probably be making the trek again.

                    I did find the classes well attended which was nice for a first time teacher
                    at the event. Plus there were many varied classes as well to take which was
                    also nice.

                    Ianuk

                  • jpkowal@mymts.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 22, 2010
                      Temperatures at Gulf Wars I have been told can vary greatly, between warm and cold (to the point of frost/snow) and precipitation as well. So best to be prepared with a layered approach to clothing, and have footwear that could tolerate cold/wet conditions. Other than that enjoy. I am looking at trying to get down there for the first time myself.
                      regards,
                      AVL

                      To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                      From: seonaid13@...
                      Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 12:04:43 -0800
                      Subject: [sig] Going to Gulf Wars

                      So, it looks like my 2011 plans include my first ever trip to Gulf Wars. I believe I'll be hotel-ing it.

                      Does anyone have any tips? Vital information? Suggestions as to must-not-miss events?

                      Cheers,

                      Sfandra

                      ******************

                      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova

                      KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom

                      http://sfandra.webs.com

                      ******************

                      Never 'pearl' your butt.

                      "Ja mogu sdelat' to."

                    • christopher chastain
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 22, 2010
                        The 3 times ive been to gulf it has started out with ice on the ground and flurries in the air and ending in the upper 80's to monsoon type of rains. It will start out cold and end warm, best bet is to bring the entire range of garb. Mud will be everywhere if it rains. Also expect wildlife, nothing big and dangerous unless you count racoons stealing your food dangerous. You will get to know the insects on a first name basis but wont be swarming yet. Just remember it is Mississippi and the weather at that time is in flux

                        Yours in Humble Service,
                        Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov

                        Your sword is an extension of who you are, if you are lazy it will be lazy, if you are arrogant it will be arrogant. Teach yourself to be wise, honorable and strong and your sword will learn with you.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 22, 2010
                          Given I'll be obliged to fly and stay in a hotel rather than on site, I can give the racoons a miss. ;) And I've been warned that the mosquitos down there can carry off domestic pets and small children. Fortunately, up here, we have Deer Flys and ticks, so I've had practice applying highly toxic levels of Deet. ;)

                          Really, I'm looking forward to it. And OMG Coursing! I suspect I'll spend much of my time in Kennel Lands as I'm a complete nut for sighthound breeds.

                          --Sfandra

                          ******************

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 24, 2010
                            I'm bringing my mini-me vardo, from Ohio! Brrrrrr at night......I live in wool
                            and my Russian pimpdaddy coat!

                            Best Regards,
                            'dok

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 8, 2011
                              Okay, I'm going to request space for a meeting at Gulf Wars.

                              I'm thinking afternoon, but I'm not sure if we should meet earlier in the
                              week so we "break the ice" for the rest of the war, or if we should meet
                              later in the week so more people can be there.

                              Is everyone planning to be there for the whole week? Or are any of those
                              planning to be there not able to come until later in the week?

                              And does anyone want to "co-sponsor" it with me?

                              Sofya

                              ___
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 9, 2011
                                I have a sad.

                                It appears that I cannot attend Gulf Wars after all. Questionable employment, and possible home purchase means I don't have the nearly 2K it would cost me to fly, rent a car, and stay at a hotel, and I'm not able to drive it either.

                                Unless something changes in the next month, I now cannot attend. I'm very very bummed about this, because I was very very excited to go.

                                Sadly,
                                Sfandra

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 10, 2011
                                  Oh, sorry Sfandra. Gulf is a wonderfully fun event. I had a blast last year
                                  but this year is out of the cards since its around Baronial Investiture (I
                                  have SCA Grandkids!) and well, our due date for our first child. I would
                                  have loved to have seen everyone again. Sighs.

                                  Everyone going, keep us posted and take good pictures!

                                  Ianuk