Re: [sig] What would be on your Christmas list for an SCA Slav?

  • Howard Rachel
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2010
      Praksedys,

      A few quick suggestions:

      Prayer beads

      Icon

      Pectoral cross

      Trim

      Buttons

      Glass finger rings (popular in Novgorod, at least)

      Wax Tablet + stylus (" " " ")

      Musical instruments (if you play), from small clay whistles to gusli

      Ivan Bilibin art books. I know they are not period, but MAN is the
      art inspirational to me. Getting the folio of Russian Folk Tales Bilibin
      did is a two-fer.., you get most of his most popular pseudo-medieval art
      nouveau, plus you get some wonderful versions of some of the most popular
      russian tales, as well!.

      As for other books (always what I would prefer!! lol!), unless things have
      changed since I was last in Russia 10 years ago, the big booksellers don't
      have all that many great titles. I filled a suitcase with books, ended up
      mailing those back to myself after a couple of weeks, then filled up again
      before flying home.., 90% of them coming from street sellers or
      hole-in-the-wall book shops and stands. Skip amazon and go straight to
      bibliofind or other rare seller.

      Good copies of the Sergei Eisenstein's Alexander Nevskii (closer to your
      period) and Ivan the Terrible (a little hard to watch, in my opinion).

      Kazimir
      Meridies

      On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Hastings <hodgepatch@...> wrote:

      > My husband and I are centering our Christmas gifts around personas this
      > year and I'm trying to put together a dream/wish list. We're relatively new
      > to playing (only having been officially members for a year.) I've got some
      > of the Sampo pendants from The St. Petersburger, some things for my camp
      > kitchen and some books on the list, but need to drool some more. :) What
      > books, gifts, trinkets, etc would you put on the super duper dream list?
      >
      > Also, I just received my AoA and my husband would like to buy me a persona
      > appropriate knife. Any recommendations for a 13th century (ish) Rus from
      > Turov?
      >
      > -Dvoryanka Praksedys Turova doch'
      > (The crazy Rus hanging out in Artemisia)

    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2010
        Greetings from Sofya to Praksedys!

        On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Hastings <hodgepatch@...> wrote:

        > Also, I just received my AoA and my husband would like to buy me a persona
        > appropriate knife. Any recommendations for a 13th century (ish) Rus from
        > Turov?

        Congratulations! Here are some knife ideas:
        http://club-kaup.narod.ru/rec/archussr_drrus_bk/archussr_drrus_bk_table09.jpg

        Sofya

        ___
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser