Question on ushkuiniks

  • christopher chastain
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2010
      Greetings unto the list,
      I am looking for information on ushkuiniks. All I have been able to find on them is on Wikipedia and we all know what a reliable source that is. I do know they were Novgorodian Pirates sailing the rivers and some of their raids. What im looking for and hopefully im not over reaching with this is more in depth history of them. When I look for other sites its pretty much the same as wiki. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I dont speak Russian but I can find some good online translators if need be.

      Yours in Humble Service,
      Pomestnik Dmitrii Ivanov
      Per saltire sable and azure, a two headed eagle displayed and in chief a mullet of eight points argent

    • aldo
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2010
        At this moment there are historical disputes about ushkuiniki from Novgorod as it seems that Novgorod the Great was not founded as it is usually reported by Slovenes early in the IX century but by VOLGA BULGARS and that the ushkuiniki of the XII cent. were actually Bulgar rebels who wanted to set up their own organization streamupwards in Viatka allying with Bolgar the Great against Moscow.
        I hope this will help you.

        Ciao

        Aldo