Some interesting Russian embroidery fragments

  • Hastings Sanderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 25, 2010
      An update on this site
      http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Farchcostume.narod.ru%2F&sl=ru&tl=en
      just added a new section with some really interesting embroidered motifs
      http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Farchcostume.narod.ru%2F&sl=ru&tl=en
      Most exciting to me is that they are done in wool.

      This article and pictures on textile remnants from the upper Volga
      (especially the embroidery) was also intriguing
      http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Farchcostume.narod.ru%2F&sl=ru&tl=en

      -Praksedys

    • Shannon Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12 2:58 PM
        I'm planning to make some darling baby clothes for my new little girl and have been looking around for images, articles, sources for Russian (anything pre-14th century, preferably Kiev or Novgorod) children and baby clothing!

        Anyone got any good leads? Links? Books?

        I have, of course, gleaned some good stuff from Sofya's site (which remains awesome), but just wanted to see if anyone had more. Whatever helps! Just general searches online are making me frustrated.

        Also, sub question... There is a fabric remnant of a garment worn by Ivan Alexander in the National Museum of Serbia in Belgrade. It is from something he gave to someone and signed. Does anyone happen to know what this piece of cloth is made of? The museum website doesn't seem to include information on it in it's listings and before I bombard their nice contact person with an English email, I thought I'd ask here. ;)

        Thanks!!!
        Shannon

      • tamara_ot_melnik
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 13 4:24 AM
          Dear Shannon,

          I'm sure I will have students in Belgrade over the next few weeks, and they will certainly goo home over Easter. I will try and have one of them check on it for you.

          In Service,
          Tamara
          (incipient College of St. John of Rila, Bulgaria)

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Anderson <kitonlove@...> wrote:

          > Also, sub question... There is a fabric remnant of a garment worn by Ivan Alexander in the National Museum of Serbia in Belgrade. It is from something he gave to someone and signed. Does anyone happen to know what this piece of cloth is made of? The museum website doesn't seem to include information on it in it's listings and before I bombard their nice contact person with an English email, I thought I'd ask here. ;)
          >
          > Thanks!!!
          > Shannon
        • Suzanne
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 13 7:24 AM
            Last I heard, the museum is closed indefinitely. I hope I'm wrong!

            Susanna

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "tamara_ot_melnik" <tamara_ot_melnik@...> wrote:

            > Dear Shannon,
            >
            > I'm sure I will have students in Belgrade over the next few weeks, and they will certainly goo home over Easter. I will try and have one of them check on it for you.
            >
            > In Service,
            > Tamara
            > (incipient College of St. John of Rila, Bulgaria)
            >
            > --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Anderson <kitonlove@> wrote:
            >
            > > Also, sub question... There is a fabric remnant of a garment worn by Ivan Alexander in the National Museum of Serbia in Belgrade. It is from something he gave to someone and signed. Does anyone happen to know what this piece of cloth is made of? The museum website doesn't seem to include information on it in it's listings and before I bombard their nice contact person with an English email, I thought I'd ask here. ;)
            > >
            > > Thanks!!!
            > > Shannon

          • tamara_ot_melnik
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 15 10:32 PM
              The museum is open now, but some galleries are closed. One of my students will check later this month when he goes home and he'll see what he can find out for you.

              IS,
              Tamara