info please fancy gown

  • Marilyn Kinyon
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2010
      Hi everyone , I've decided I want to try a late period Russ or Polish gown.
      A fancy one for special occasions. Does anyone have pictures of some great
      ones..? Please send them to me.

      Marija Kotok

    • Lisa Kies
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2010
        Greetings from Sofya to Marija!

        On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Marilyn Kinyon <mamalynxx@...>wrote:

        > Hi everyone , I've decided I want to try a late period Russ or Polish gown.
        > A fancy one for special occasions. Does anyone have pictures of some great
        > ones..? Please send them to me.

        The link to photos from the Winter Ball that were posted the other day are
        great inspiration. The basic feel of most of the gowns is correct even if
        some of the finer details and trims are sometimes off.

        You can go to Mordak's stuff here, too (part 3 of the illustrations has the
        women's garb):
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Mordak/index.html

        And also *Notes on the Costume of Women of the Court and Higher Classes in
        the XVI and XVIIth Centuries:*
        http://www.cs.arizona.edu/patterns/weaving/articles/nb51_cos.pdf

        At your service,

        Sofya

        ___
        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        {o,o}
        (__(|
        "Nasytivshimsya knizhnoj sladosti."
        -^-^-`
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 22, 2010
          Greetings Marija, Miastra Sofya!

          The only part I would add is that late period Russian garb, male or female, is all about the fabric and decoration. Russia, north to south is similar in climate to the area between the Canadian sub-acrtic to the Gulf of Mexico.
          That said, its all about the best, richest colored ot textured fabrics you can buy, barter or dog-rob, in combination! Even a garment of plain white linen cooks when the edges and opening are trimmed in fancy fabric scraps. Its also EXTREMELY period, as is embroidery, applique, laidwork top stitching, beading, fur edging.
          I am currently making winter gear for my Lady, Zanetia, and my stepdaughter, Sefraniia. Our young Lady has a pink cotton sarafine trimmed in scrap gold/pink wedding sari with a kika to matchN both beaded in amythest and pearl and silver wire laidwork. The edging carries 90 percent of the decorative wieght. Mom's stuff is all satin and brocase and shot purple/black silk, with ivory satin edging and kokoshnik, both decorated like the daughters but with much more of an Italian foliate beading and laidwork pattern, because she is a diehard Florentine. But its taking FOREVER!!!

          Its all about the fabric, always the combination of colors and textures. The decoration is secondary and merely supplemental, never the primary decoratve consideration!
          Gotta run!
          'doch