Re: Maestra

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 19, 2010
      Good luck, Lydia. If I come across the Slavic version, I'll pass it along. This is all I can help you out with for now. I will be sure to send any info I learn of. Take care.

      YiS
      Branimira
      East Kingdom.

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lydia Leovic <lidia_de_ragusa@...> wrote:

      > Friends,
      >
      > While I still hope to eventually come up with the Slavic variant of "Mistress",
      > since my official SCA name is Italian, as citizens of Ragusa often had both an
      > Italian and Slavic variants of their names in period, I will use Maestra Lidia
      > de Ragusa as the Italian variant of my name.
      >
      > YIS,
      > Lidia
      >  Visit Lidia de Ragusa online at http://home.roadrunner.com/~lkleovic/
      >

      > Per bend sinister azure and argent, a sun in splendor Or and a fox passant
      > azure.
      >

      > What's my latest fiber project?
      > http://lidia-ragusa.diaryland.com/
      >

      > "Respect is what we owe; love, what we give." --Philip James Bailey
      >

      > "A good deed is never lost: he who sows courtesy reaps friendship; and
      > he who plants kindness gathers love." --Basil
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Kresimir Zeravica
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 19, 2010
        wow i am stumped on this one cant think of a single commoners title for a female.
        here is some food for thought though...the head of a guild would have the title "Veliki Mestar" (the s in mestar is the sh sound letter)...while a master of a trade or artisan would be Mestar...i do believe that Majstor would be appropirate as well but has a much more modern ring to it.

        the title Mestar is borrowed from the italian Mastro = Maestro.

        sry i couldnt help u much with this I'll still keep an eye out for it though.

> [...]

        *  1

        New Members

        *  1

        New FilesVisit Your Group

        Give Back

        Yahoo! for Good

        Get inspired

        by a good cause.

        Y! Toolbar

        Get it Free!

        easy 1-click access

        to your groups.

        Yahoo! Groups

        Start a group

        in 3 easy steps.

        Connect with others.

        Need to Reply?

        Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily

        Digest.

        Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar

        Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format to

      • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 19, 2010
          What about Russian word Masteritsa (Mah|steh|ree'|tsah)? it's the female version
          of Master (Mah'|stehr) like a craftsman. I think it can be appropriate
          concidering that a Laurel is bestowed for an art or craft

          Lada

          Oooooh...
          SHINY!

          ________________________________

> [...]

          * 1
          New Members
          * 1
          New FilesVisit Your Group
          Give Back
          Yahoo! for Good
          Get inspired
          by a good cause.
          Y! Toolbar
          Get it Free!
          easy 1-click access
          to your groups.
          Yahoo! Groups
          Start a group
          in 3 easy steps.
          Connect with others.
          Need to Reply?
          Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily
          Digest.
          Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar

          Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format to

        • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 19, 2010
            My husband went by remeshrenik for craftsman versus master since it
            was confusing having two master ivans around the kingdom. I'm not
            sure what the feminine form of it is.

            I go by Posadnitsa since I was a landed baroness when I was laurelled.

            Ianuk

            On Tuesday, October 19, 2010, Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@...> wrote:

            > What about Russian word Masteritsa (Mah|steh|ree'|tsah)? it's the female version
            > of Master (Mah'|stehr) like a craftsman. I think it can be appropriate
            > concidering that a Laurel is bestowed for an art or craft
            >
            > Lada
            >
            > Oooooh...
            > SHINY!

          • Lee
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 20, 2010
              Then in that case, as Lada pointed out. For a craftsman or craftswoman, go with Majstorica. That is a person who builds, or has earned an experience, or mastered a craft. I think it will be okay within the SCA to use that Slavic term. But, the decision is all yours. Luck.