Maestra

  • Lydia Leovic
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 19, 2010
      Friends,

      While I still hope to eventually come up with the Slavic variant of "Mistress",
      since my official SCA name is Italian, as citizens of Ragusa often had both an
      Italian and Slavic variants of their names in period, I will use Maestra Lidia
      de Ragusa as the Italian variant of my name.

      YIS,
      Lidia
       Visit Lidia de Ragusa online at http://home.roadrunner.com/~lkleovic/

      Per bend sinister azure and argent, a sun in splendor Or and a fox passant
      azure.

      What's my latest fiber project?
      http://lidia-ragusa.diaryland.com/

      "Respect is what we owe; love, what we give." --Philip James Bailey

      "A good deed is never lost: he who sows courtesy reaps friendship; and
      he who plants kindness gathers love." --Basil

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 19, 2010
        Good luck, Lydia. If I come across the Slavic version, I'll pass it along. This is all I can help you out with for now. I will be sure to send any info I learn of. Take care.

        YiS
        Branimira
        East Kingdom.

      • Kresimir Zeravica
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 19, 2010
          wow i am stumped on this one cant think of a single commoners title for a female.
          here is some food for thought though...the head of a guild would have the title "Veliki Mestar" (the s in mestar is the sh sound letter)...while a master of a trade or artisan would be Mestar...i do believe that Majstor would be appropirate as well but has a much more modern ring to it.

          the title Mestar is borrowed from the italian Mastro = Maestro.

          sry i couldnt help u much with this I'll still keep an eye out for it though.

> [...]

          *  1

          New Members

          *  1

          New FilesVisit Your Group

          Give Back

          Yahoo! for Good

          Get inspired

          by a good cause.

          Y! Toolbar

          Get it Free!

          easy 1-click access

          to your groups.

          Yahoo! Groups

          Start a group

          in 3 easy steps.

          Connect with others.

          Need to Reply?

          Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily

          Digest.

          Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar

          Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format to

        • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 19, 2010
            What about Russian word Masteritsa (Mah|steh|ree'|tsah)? it's the female version
            of Master (Mah'|stehr) like a craftsman. I think it can be appropriate
            concidering that a Laurel is bestowed for an art or craft

            Lada

            Oooooh...
            SHINY!

            ________________________________

> [...]

            * 1
            New Members
            * 1
            New FilesVisit Your Group
            Give Back
            Yahoo! for Good
            Get inspired
            by a good cause.
            Y! Toolbar
            Get it Free!
            easy 1-click access
            to your groups.
            Yahoo! Groups
            Start a group
            in 3 easy steps.
            Connect with others.
            Need to Reply?
            Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily
            Digest.
            Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar

            Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Individual | Switch format to

          • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 19, 2010
              My husband went by remeshrenik for craftsman versus master since it
              was confusing having two master ivans around the kingdom. I'm not
              sure what the feminine form of it is.

              I go by Posadnitsa since I was a landed baroness when I was laurelled.

              Ianuk

              On Tuesday, October 19, 2010, Yevgeniya Pechenaya <ladie_lada@...> wrote:

              > What about Russian word Masteritsa (Mah|steh|ree'|tsah)? it's the female version
              > of Master (Mah'|stehr) like a craftsman. I think it can be appropriate
              > concidering that a Laurel is bestowed for an art or craft
              >
              > Lada
              >
              > Oooooh...
              > SHINY!

            • Lee
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 20, 2010
                Then in that case, as Lada pointed out. For a craftsman or craftswoman, go with Majstorica. That is a person who builds, or has earned an experience, or mastered a craft. I think it will be okay within the SCA to use that Slavic term. But, the decision is all yours. Luck.

                YiS
                Branimira
                East Kingdom.