Re: Slavic and Latin "Mistress" honorary

  • Suzanne
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 16, 2010
      Wonderful! Huzzah!! ^Cestitam!

      My dictionary suggests Gazdarica as the feminine equivalent of "master, host, boss", but there are no historical notes so I can't say if this is appropriate to your period. (I also can't tell if it's a Serbian variant rather than Croatian.)

      It's an interesting question--I'm looking forward to hearing the answer(s).

      YIS,
      Susanna de l'Essart

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lydia Leovic <lidia_de_ragusa@...> wrote:

      > Dear friends,
      >
      > It is with gratefulness and humility that I share with you all that I received
      > my Writ for the Order of the Laurel and will sit Vigil on 10/30 at the Hawkwood
      > Howl event in Atlantia  (Asheville, NC).
      >
      > I have been talking with my cousin from Zagreb, and he does not really think
      > there is a Croatian honorarium title that is accurately Mistress.  As with my
      > passed SCA name, I expect to have to Latinize the Mistress title "MAGISTRA."
      > Yet, I am interested in knowing a Slavic equivalent to Mistress.
      > Google translate is not going to help  us, though.  For instance, I like the
      > sound of "Majstorica,"  but my cousin Danijel did not think that was a word used
      > as a title in Croatian.
      >
      > If anyone on this list has an understanding of this issue and would offer me
      > words of advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
      >
      > YIS,
      > Lidia

    • Lee
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 18, 2010
        Hello.

        "Gazdrica" is just a term we use for someone who is in charge of, or an owner of an establishment or house. Moslty this is a term we use for an owner of a house. I have not heard this term used to describe as a female Master of a trade. Not in modern terms or during the Middle Ages. I will keep my ears glued for more info. Hope this was helpful.

        YiS
        Branimira.
        East Kingdom.