Re: [sig] Slavic and Latin "Mistress" honorary

  • Owlharp@juno.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 15, 2010
      Lidia, my heartiest congratulations to you! I just wish we were going to
      be down there on the 30th to attend your vigil.

      My own instinctive reply to your question - at least from a Russian point
      of view - is the term "khozyayka", which means Mistress of the house but
      in the medieval understanding of it as explained in the Domostroy, such a
      person is expected to be the resident expert on all sorts of activities.
      To me, this is the closest fit.

      Mistress Fevronia Murometsa

    • Suzanne
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 16, 2010
        Wonderful! Huzzah!! ^Cestitam!

        My dictionary suggests Gazdarica as the feminine equivalent of "master, host, boss", but there are no historical notes so I can't say if this is appropriate to your period. (I also can't tell if it's a Serbian variant rather than Croatian.)

        It's an interesting question--I'm looking forward to hearing the answer(s).

        YIS,
        Susanna de l'Essart

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lydia Leovic <lidia_de_ragusa@...> wrote:

        > Dear friends,
        >
        > It is with gratefulness and humility that I share with you all that I received
        > my Writ for the Order of the Laurel and will sit Vigil on 10/30 at the Hawkwood
        > Howl event in Atlantia  (Asheville, NC).
        >
        > I have been talking with my cousin from Zagreb, and he does not really think
        > there is a Croatian honorarium title that is accurately Mistress.  As with my
        > passed SCA name, I expect to have to Latinize the Mistress title "MAGISTRA."
        > Yet, I am interested in knowing a Slavic equivalent to Mistress.
        > Google translate is not going to help  us, though.  For instance, I like the
        > sound of "Majstorica,"  but my cousin Danijel did not think that was a word used
        > as a title in Croatian.
        >
        > If anyone on this list has an understanding of this issue and would offer me
        > words of advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
        >
        > YIS,
        > Lidia

      • Lee
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 18, 2010
          Hello.

          "Gazdrica" is just a term we use for someone who is in charge of, or an owner of an establishment or house. Moslty this is a term we use for an owner of a house. I have not heard this term used to describe as a female Master of a trade. Not in modern terms or during the Middle Ages. I will keep my ears glued for more info. Hope this was helpful.

          YiS
          Branimira.
          East Kingdom.