Re: Slavic and Latin "Mistress" honorary

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
      Lidia,

      It is very hard to find the right kind of word that describes a female "master". The one you chose "Majstorica" is actually someone who builds things. If used in a sentence as a statement to someone, then it means that you've mastered something. If you own an establishment "Gazdarica, Gospodarica" is what you would be using. "Gospoda" means "Mrs." The closest you can come to being called Mistress in the SCA would probably be "Majstorica". But, if you do find a correct one. It would be good if I knew, too. I'm wondering if you can get away with being called that if all your reseaching yeilds only that one title that may fit. Good luck. See you soon.

      YiS
      Branimira of the Isles, Crown Province of Ostgardr. East Kingdom.

    • Owlharp@juno.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 15, 2010
        Lidia, my heartiest congratulations to you! I just wish we were going to
        be down there on the 30th to attend your vigil.

        My own instinctive reply to your question - at least from a Russian point
        of view - is the term "khozyayka", which means Mistress of the house but
        in the medieval understanding of it as explained in the Domostroy, such a
        person is expected to be the resident expert on all sorts of activities.
        To me, this is the closest fit.

        Mistress Fevronia Murometsa

      • Suzanne
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2010
          Wonderful! Huzzah!! ^Cestitam!

          My dictionary suggests Gazdarica as the feminine equivalent of "master, host, boss", but there are no historical notes so I can't say if this is appropriate to your period. (I also can't tell if it's a Serbian variant rather than Croatian.)

          It's an interesting question--I'm looking forward to hearing the answer(s).

          YIS,
          Susanna de l'Essart

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lydia Leovic <lidia_de_ragusa@...> wrote:

          > Dear friends,
          >
          > It is with gratefulness and humility that I share with you all that I received
          > my Writ for the Order of the Laurel and will sit Vigil on 10/30 at the Hawkwood
          > Howl event in Atlantia  (Asheville, NC).
          >
          > I have been talking with my cousin from Zagreb, and he does not really think
          > there is a Croatian honorarium title that is accurately Mistress.  As with my
          > passed SCA name, I expect to have to Latinize the Mistress title "MAGISTRA."
          > Yet, I am interested in knowing a Slavic equivalent to Mistress.
          > Google translate is not going to help  us, though.  For instance, I like the
          > sound of "Majstorica,"  but my cousin Danijel did not think that was a word used
          > as a title in Croatian.
          >
          > If anyone on this list has an understanding of this issue and would offer me
          > words of advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
          >
          > YIS,
          > Lidia

        • Lee
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 18, 2010
            Hello.

            "Gazdrica" is just a term we use for someone who is in charge of, or an owner of an establishment or house. Moslty this is a term we use for an owner of a house. I have not heard this term used to describe as a female Master of a trade. Not in modern terms or during the Middle Ages. I will keep my ears glued for more info. Hope this was helpful.

            YiS
            Branimira.
            East Kingdom.