Re: Slavic and Latin "Mistress" honorary

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
      Congratulations! =)

      The Latin "magistra" is usually translated as "mistress", but it also means "teacher". Is there a Croatian title that is used by teachers that could work? (I can't tell if 'učiteljica' is used as a title or not.)

      Wikipedia says one of the first Croatian dictionaries was
      Fausto Veranzio (Vrančić) "Dictionarium quinque nobilissimarum Europæ linguarum, Latinæ, Italicæ, Germanicæ, Dalmatiæ, & Vulgaricæ", Apud Nicolaum Morettum, 1595, Venice
      http://books.google.com/books?id=oFlgAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Fausto+Veranzio&as_brr=4&hl=en&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

      Along the row for "Magister" (masculine) it gives:
      Italian: Maestro
      German: Meister
      Dalmatic: Mestar
      Hungarian: Mester

      I haven't been able to find any other free scans of 16th c. dictionaries online, but there is a list of them here: http://www.ihjj.hr/oHrJeziku-rjecnici.html
      and it looks like you might be able to order copies of them, or you could ask your cousin to look for them in a library?
      eg. 1599 dictionary, http://www.ks.hr/knjizara.php?id=470

      Not very helpful, I know. Sorry.
      ~Asfridhr

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lydia Leovic <lidia_de_ragusa@...> wrote:

      > I have been talking with my cousin from Zagreb, and he does not really think
      > there is a Croatian honorarium title that is accurately Mistress.  As with my
      > passed SCA name, I expect to have to Latinize the Mistress title "MAGISTRA."
    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
        Yeah, it's nice to have a new Laurel in the SIG.
        THL Isabelle de Foix

        blog URL: http://verte76.blogspot.com/

        ________________________________
        The Latin "magistra" is usually translated as "mistress", but it also means
        "teacher". Is there a Croatian title that is used by teachers that could work?
        (I can't tell if 'učiteljica' is used as a title or not.)

        Wikipedia says one of the first Croatian dictionaries was
        Fausto Veranzio (Vrančić) "Dictionarium quinque nobilissimarum Europæ
        linguarum, Latinæ, Italicæ, Germanicæ, Dalmatiæ, & Vulgaricæ", Apud Nicolaum
        Morettum, 1595, Venice
        http://books.google.com/books?id=oFlgAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Fausto+Veranzio&as_brr=4&hl=en&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

        Along the row for "Magister" (masculine) it gives:
        Italian: Maestro
        German: Meister
        Dalmatic: Mestar
        Hungarian: Mester

        I haven't been able to find any other free scans of 16th c. dictionaries online,
        but there is a list of them here: http://www.ihjj.hr/oHrJeziku-rjecnici.html
        and it looks like you might be able to order copies of them, or you could ask
        your cousin to look for them in a library?

        eg. 1599 dictionary, http://www.ks.hr/knjizara.php?id=470

        Not very helpful, I know. Sorry.
        ~Asfridhr

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lydia Leovic <lidia_de_ragusa@...> wrote:

        > I have been talking with my cousin from Zagreb, and he does not really think
        > there is a Croatian honorarium title that is accurately Mistress.  As with my
        > passed SCA name, I expect to have to Latinize the Mistress title "MAGISTRA."

      • Lee
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 13, 2010
          Lidia,

          It is very hard to find the right kind of word that describes a female "master". The one you chose "Majstorica" is actually someone who builds things. If used in a sentence as a statement to someone, then it means that you've mastered something. If you own an establishment "Gazdarica, Gospodarica" is what you would be using. "Gospoda" means "Mrs." The closest you can come to being called Mistress in the SCA would probably be "Majstorica". But, if you do find a correct one. It would be good if I knew, too. I'm wondering if you can get away with being called that if all your reseaching yeilds only that one title that may fit. Good luck. See you soon.

          YiS
          Branimira of the Isles, Crown Province of Ostgardr. East Kingdom.

        • Owlharp@juno.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 15, 2010
            Lidia, my heartiest congratulations to you! I just wish we were going to
            be down there on the 30th to attend your vigil.

            My own instinctive reply to your question - at least from a Russian point
            of view - is the term "khozyayka", which means Mistress of the house but
            in the medieval understanding of it as explained in the Domostroy, such a
            person is expected to be the resident expert on all sorts of activities.
            To me, this is the closest fit.

            Mistress Fevronia Murometsa

          • Suzanne
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 16, 2010
              Wonderful! Huzzah!! ^Cestitam!

              My dictionary suggests Gazdarica as the feminine equivalent of "master, host, boss", but there are no historical notes so I can't say if this is appropriate to your period. (I also can't tell if it's a Serbian variant rather than Croatian.)

              It's an interesting question--I'm looking forward to hearing the answer(s).

              YIS,
              Susanna de l'Essart

              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Lydia Leovic <lidia_de_ragusa@...> wrote:

              > Dear friends,
              >
              > It is with gratefulness and humility that I share with you all that I received
              > my Writ for the Order of the Laurel and will sit Vigil on 10/30 at the Hawkwood
              > Howl event in Atlantia  (Asheville, NC).
              >
              > I have been talking with my cousin from Zagreb, and he does not really think
              > there is a Croatian honorarium title that is accurately Mistress.  As with my
              > passed SCA name, I expect to have to Latinize the Mistress title "MAGISTRA."
              > Yet, I am interested in knowing a Slavic equivalent to Mistress.
              > Google translate is not going to help  us, though.  For instance, I like the
              > sound of "Majstorica,"  but my cousin Danijel did not think that was a word used
              > as a title in Croatian.
              >
              > If anyone on this list has an understanding of this issue and would offer me
              > words of advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
              >
              > YIS,
              > Lidia

            • Lee
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 18, 2010
                Hello.

                "Gazdrica" is just a term we use for someone who is in charge of, or an owner of an establishment or house. Moslty this is a term we use for an owner of a house. I have not heard this term used to describe as a female Master of a trade. Not in modern terms or during the Middle Ages. I will keep my ears glued for more info. Hope this was helpful.

                YiS
                Branimira.
                East Kingdom.