Re: Resources For Medieval Czech Female Names

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2010
      Digging about the St. Gabriel archives, these books might help:

      Dobrava Moldanova/ _Nas^e Pr^i/jmeni/_ (Praha: Agentura Pankra/c, 2004)

      Gerhard Schlimpert, _Slawische Personennamen in Mittelalterlichen
      Quellen zur Deutschen Geschichte_ (Berlin: Akademie-Verlag, 1978)

      Jan Svoboda, _Staro{c^}eska/ Osobni/ Jme/na a Na{s^}e P{r^}i/jmeni/_
      (Praha, {C^}eskoslovenska/ Akademie Ve/d, 1964)

      z Rozmberk, Perchta and Anezka, _The Letters of the Rozmberk
      Sisters: Noblewomen in Fifteenth-Century Bohemia (Library of Medieval
      Women)_ (Ds Brewer, May 2001).

      And although it's Polish, it apparently contains Czech names?
      Taszycki, Witold (ed.), _S{l/}ownik Staropolskich Nazw Osobowych_,
      vols. I-VII (Wroc{l/}aw: Zak{l/}ad Narodowy Imienia Ossoli{n'}skich, Polska Akademia Nauk, 1965-1987)

      ~Asfridhr

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria" <ripdiescharfschuetzin@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone!
      >
      > I've found Walraven van Nijmegen's name list at St. Gabriel's (http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/walraven/lateczech/), but I'm wondering if there are any other resources out there for medieval Czech female names. I'm particuarly interested in the 1400s-1500s.
      >
      > Would the names that have traditional name days be likely to have been used in the medieval period, or are name days a more recent custom?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > - Tori

    • Patricia Hefner
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2010