Re: [sig] Is there a name for the Rus heart motif similar to the seeblatt?

  • Hastings Sanderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2010
      On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Lisa Kies <lkies319@...> wrote:

      > I'd be surprised if the motif wasn't even older than that, especially if
      > itis decended from a Greek lily.

      The motif is definitely older then 400-800 AD. Here is an example of it in
      a Pazyryk felt from Pazyryk barrow no. 5, 252-238 BCE. Scroll down a bit,
      its the bird fragment. The border is composed of the motif.
      http://depts.washington.edu/silkroad/museums/shm/shmpazyryk.html Part of
      what I found so fascinating is that the border from this carpet or
      wallhanging is almost identical to those found later in other medium e.g.
      illumination, metalwork etc.

      -Praksedys