Re: [sig] Ok, let's play with this lingua concept...

  • Jennifer Nelson Kemp
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 7, 2010
      Cool now means neato versus cold

      Nom is now a word for food thanks to LOL cats

      Course we say LOL in speaking versus just typing..or is that just me?

      In the science, medical and engineering aspects we speak entirely in
      acronyms. I've been in a meeting on my new program where on the "the", "a",
      "and" and a verb were used in about a 10 min conversation...everything else
      was acronyms.

      There is a generation of us (though it might be wider than a generation)
      that speaks in movie quotes. It sometimes reminds me of the episode of
      ST:TNG where Picard is stranded on a planet with an alien who only speaks in
      metaphors ...very similar to the movie quote thing. Cause if you haven't
      seen the movie, you don't quite get it when some one pops into your cube and
      yells "SQUIRREL!"

      The geeks in us talk in game terms such as
      "Lots d-10"
      "I rolled a 4!"
      "Oh, crit fumble"
      "5 dots in 'DUH!'"
      course again, that could just be my group of friends and family. I did go
      to an all engineering and science school and work as an engineer modernly so
      maybe I'm a git skewed.

      I'm sure I can come up with more..though they aren't specific.
      Ianuk

      On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:29 AM, <purplkat@...> wrote:

      > off the top of my head - 'Bad' - something very good
      >
      > Katheryne

    • Elaine Manyoki
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 7, 2010
        Yes, it does. But what idiot came up with the word sick to mean the best? If
        something is sick, then to me that equals bad, and possibly infectious. I went
        through this whole word meaning thing with my parents in the middle 60's, and
        just decided to speak, euphemistically speaking, the King's English. I have
        neither the desire or the time to carry around a translation book for folks who
        choose to speak in opposites.
        Katya

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 7, 2010
          > ________________________________
          > From: Jennifer Nelson Kemp <lady.ianuk@...>

          > It sometimes reminds me of the episode of
          > ST:TNG where Picard is stranded on a planet with an alien
          > who only speaks in
          > metaphors ...

          pardon my geek moment but: *squeal* Love that episode! It's called "Darmok" and it was just on the BBCAmerica last week one evening.

          --Kaz
          --(Sfandra hasn't ever heard of Star Trek... unless it involves a journey using the stars for navigation...) ;)
        • Anthony Bryant
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7, 2010
            On Jul 7, 2010, at 4:06 PM, Sfandra wrote:

            > > ________________________________
            > > From: Jennifer Nelson Kemp <lady.ianuk@...>
            >
            > > It sometimes reminds me of the episode of
            > > ST:TNG where Picard is stranded on a planet with an alien
            > > who only speaks in
            > > metaphors ...
            >
            > pardon my geek moment but: *squeal* Love that episode! It's called "Darmok" and it was just on the BBCAmerica last week one evening.

            Picard, his face in his palm.

            Effingham
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7, 2010
              > > pardon my geek moment but: *squeal* Love that episode!
              > >It's called "Darmok" and it was just on the BBCAmerica last
              > >week one evening.
              >
              > Picard, his face in his palm.
              >

              > Effingham

              THHhhhppppp! :D :D

              --Sfandra
            • Anthony Bryant
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7, 2010
                On Jul 7, 2010, at 4:38 PM, Sfandra wrote:

                > > > pardon my geek moment but: *squeal* Love that episode!
                > > >It's called "Darmok" and it was just on the BBCAmerica last
                > > >week one evening.
                > >
                > > Picard, his face in his palm.
                > >

                > > Effingham
                > >

                > THHhhhppppp! :D :D

                LOL!

                I love that episode, too. It strikes me as logically insane on all sorts of levels, but it's also just sooooo damned cool.

                I remember seeing an ad for a concert with Pickard in a vest and no shirt, ripping on a bass, and the slogan "DARMOK & JALAD at Tanagra -- September 1991" and featuring such songs as "Shaka, when the walls fell" and "Sokath, his eyes uncovered".

                Man, I want that on a shirt.

                Effingham
              • Elaine Manyoki
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7, 2010
                  That is a favorite of mine, as well. If you ever find a place that would put
                  that on a shirt, let the rest of us know, OK?
                  Katya

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 8, 2010
                    On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:58 AM, Elaine Manyoki wrote:

                    > That is a favorite of mine, as well. If you ever find a place that would put
                    > that on a shirt, let the rest of us know, OK?

                    Well, there's always CafePress. There is a "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" T-shirt there, but that's ALL it has. Very vanilla.

                    Effingham
                  • Elaine Manyoki
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 8, 2010
                      Yeah, I see your point....besides which, if I DID get the shirt, and no photo to
                      go along with the text, it would take me 45 minutes to explain to non-Trek folks
                      what it meant....much as I have to do with my SCA garb, ...over, and over,
                      and..well, you know...however, I have been thinking about making a shirt with my
                      favorite line from the new Trek movie on it, and a photo of Chris Pine...when he
                      tells the Romulan.."I got your gun!..."...or him and Karl Urban trying to cure
                      his case of numb tongue...Those two moments are pure, classic Trek...
                      Katya

                      ________________________________
                      On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:58 AM, Elaine Manyoki wrote:

                      > That is a favorite of mine, as well. If you ever find a place that would put
                      > that on a shirt, let the rest of us know, OK?

                      Well, there's always CafePress. There is a "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" T-shirt
                      there, but that's ALL it has. Very vanilla.

                      Effingham

                    • Yevgeniya Pechenaya
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 8, 2010
                        Oh wow this is so cool! The scroll came out gorgeous!

                        Thank you,

                        Lada

                        Oooooh...
                        SHINY!

                        ________________________________

                        On Jul 7, 2010, at 4:38 PM, Sfandra wrote:

                        > > > pardon my geek moment but: *squeal* Love that episode!
                        > > >It's called "Darmok" and it was just on the BBCAmerica last
                        > > >week one evening.
                        > >
                        > > Picard, his face in his palm.
                        > >

                        > > Effingham
                        > >

                        > THHhhhppppp! :D :D

                        LOL!

                        I love that episode, too. It strikes me as logically insane on all sorts of
                        levels, but it's also just sooooo damned cool.

                        I remember seeing an ad for a concert with Pickard in a vest and no shirt,
                        ripping on a bass, and the slogan "DARMOK & JALAD at Tanagra -- September 1991"
                        and featuring such songs as "Shaka, when the walls fell" and "Sokath, his eyes
                        uncovered".

                        Man, I want that on a shirt.

                        Effingham

                      • DariaH
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 12, 2010
                          Is there a picture of this scroll for viewing. I'd love to see it!

                          Magdalena